First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
When I bought my Tremor, I did not even know what the term "Overlanding," meant, but I sure as heck had done my fair share of car camping not to mention camping during hiking or biking trips. Neither my wife nor I are all that excited about sleeping on the ground anymore, so the idea of a rooftop tent is very appealing to us.

I bought my Tremor used, and it already had a Ford flip style tonneau cover which does not appear to be compatible with any of the over the bed racks that can hold a RTT. While it pains me to consider this, it appears that if I want to go with a rack and RTT, I really need to either ditch the tonneau cover altogether or replace it with a RetraxONE XR or RetraxPRO XR.

First questions for you:
1) For those with the RetraxONE or RetraxPRO, how do you like it? Is PRO worth the extra money, in your opinion?
2) Any major cons to Retrax?
3) Are there others like it to consider?

Before I sink many thousands of dollars into this, I thought I might do this in phases. Here is my plan:

Phase 1:
1) Replace tonneau cover with RetraxPRO
2) Install Yakima SkyLine Towers with Skyline bars over the bed mounting on the T-slots
3) Continue to car camp but at more "overland" type locations using the Skyline bars to haul our bikes

The other option here would be to just ditch the tonneau cover and leave the bed open, but that limits secure storage options.

Phase 2 (when we realize that sleeping on the ground really sucks at our age):
1) Buy Yakima HD bars and adapter to install on the Skyline Towers
2) Buy RTT
3) Leave the bikes at home or buy a hitch-mounted bike rack

Phase 3 (if I decide we want to go further off-road):
1) Upgrade to Yakima OverHaul HD
2) Outfit with the essential overlanding equipment (recovery traction boards, etc.)

Final questions for you:
1) Is this a well reasoned plan?
2) Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

AndyMedic

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paramedic
RCI has adapters that allow tonneau cover’s. Billie Bars also allow covers and a low profile for a tent to mount. RCI now makes similar to Billie Bars system. Some tents can hold bikes on them as well. I think GFC tents can accept bikes.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Go with a hitch mounted bike rack, and whatever bed cover, rack, RTT option you prefer.

IMHO, I think 1Up hitch racks are the best. I have one and it holds my bike secure on dirt forest roads. I have also used Kuat, Thule and Yakima options - all work well on pavement.

I have the Yakima Outpost w/ HD bars and a Yakima RTT. I used to have the Overhaul, but it was too tall for my liking. I do not use a tonneau, but often think about getting the RetraPro ;)

When I need secure storage, I use a couple of plastic bins (Plano Storage Trunks) in the bed that I can pad lock and also cable lock to the tie downs. I've never had an issue. We have traveled weeks like that, and left the truck all over the place. I also have a large Orca (like Yeti) cooler that I leave in the bed. The beauty of the RRT and racks is that most large items in the bed are impossible to remove without the tailgate being unlocked :)

Below is my setup (same as profile pic).
Truck_Skyliners.jpg

Last edited:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
When I bought my Tremor, I did not even know what the term "Overlanding," meant, but I sure as heck had done my fair share of car camping not to mention camping during hiking or biking trips. Neither my wife nor I are all that excited about sleeping on the ground anymore, so the idea of a rooftop tent is very appealing to us.

I bought my Tremor used, and it already had a Ford flip style tonneau cover which does not appear to be compatible with any of the over the bed racks that can hold a RTT. While it pains me to consider this, it appears that if I want to go with a rack and RTT, I really need to either ditch the tonneau cover altogether or replace it with a RetraxONE XR or RetraxPRO XR.

First questions for you:
1) For those with the RetraxONE or RetraxPRO, how do you like it? Is PRO worth the extra money, in your opinion?

Before I sink many thousands of dollars into this, I thought I might do this in phases. Here is my plan:

Phase 1:
2) Install Yakima SkyLine Towers with Skyline bars over the bed mounting on the T-slots
3) Continue to car camp but at more "overland" type locations using the Skyline bars to haul our bikes

The other option here would be to just ditch the tonneau cover and leave the bed open, but that limits secure storage options.

2) Buy RTT

2) Outfit with the essential overlanding equipment (recovery traction boards, etc.)

Final questions for you:

Thanks in advance!
it sounds like a well thought out plan to me! however i do have a suggestion ahead of yall going on with the plan. Try to arrange a test flight, if someone you know or a truck acc. shop has a roof top tent set up give it a go getting in and out, laying down etc. I loved the idea of a RTT but when i really looked one over in person it seemed like it would not be much better than on the ground in terms of comfort or ease of use. Being up of the ground is a big plus. But im old, fat and have bad knees lol so climbing in and out of the rtt was not as much fun as it looked like on you tube. if you have to get up to use the rest room at night getting down from the rtt is not real convenient either. but, i am not all thumbs down. i do still like some of the roof top and bed top setups and if i had the cash for one id likely force myself to get used to the issues i dont like about them. I think they are much less PITA than a normal tent set up. one of the members here had a sweet overland set up but i cant remember who. im sure the pics are around some place.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase

First questions for you:

Phase 1:

2) Buy RTT

Final questions for you:

Thanks in advance!
I have a RetraxOne and it was great on my recent trip through BLM land in Wyoming. I have no regrets. I hauled my two 23Zero swags on top of it, and it kept all my other gear secure underneath. I have the Elevate rack that works with the rail on the Retrax. I don't use a RTT so I use the rack to carry my kayaks when my bed is full of gear (I throw them in the bed when I'm not hauling gear). In the lowest position I can put my swags under that kayaks. In the highest position I can haul my swags and my bikes under the kayaks, and the bed is still open for gear and I don't have anything hanging off the rear hitch. And because of how the rack mounts to the rails, it's fairly easy to take off when you're not using it. I'd compare the Elevate with those Yakima in terms of specs - you'll probably find it will work and save you money in the end, especially if you order from @Stage3Motorsports like I did. As far as One vs Pro, you gain 250 pounds of weight hauling on top of it but I don't think I'll ever use that - I can't think of what I'd be putting on top of the tonneau that would weigh that much.

Last edited:

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
rooftop tents can be polarizing.

I'm not a particular fan of them for plain old car camping. they're expensive. you're still sleeping in a tent. and now you have to climb up/down stairs. and with my bladder, the last thing I'm doing is climbing down the stairs (aka breaking my neck because I fall down the stairs) in the dark to find a place to pee.

I'd rather spend my money on a quality cabin tent. maybe something like a Clam Quick-Set or similar, with cots and comfy stuff.

The one place I see that rooftop tents really are better than most other options is when you're doing real off-roading and traveling between campsites every night (not setting up a basecamp and exploring around it). The mobility is a real advantage for that kind of thing.

FWIW, I have a Yakima OverHaul HD rack on my Ranger (no tonneau). I love the rack, but Yakima is pissing me off something fierce right now. Lost an endcap for the bars awhile ago and Yakima has NONE available. Period. No way to preorder them. You can sign up for email notifications for when they come available, but no guarantee that they'll make enough for you.

etrailer allowed me to preorder one months ago. ship date keeps getting pushed back on it. I dunno if I'll actually get it.

And this isn't the first time I've had this problem in the past couple of years. I stripped a bolt (my fault, not Yakima's) and the plate for the t-slot attaching the towers to the HD bars. I'm STILL on the email notification list 2yrs later and the parts package that just includes those few items still hasn't come available. I ended up having to buy an entire hardware kit to get the 2 parts I needed.

AND, somehow, lost one of the tower locks that locks over the bolt head. I've been on the notification list for that part for over a year, and none have come available.

I'd think twice about ANYTHING made by Yakima right now. Their customer service people no longer answer my questions about spare parts to repair the stuff I've bought.

Bashell

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Software Engineer
it sounds like a well thought out plan to me! however i do have a suggestion ahead of yall going on with the plan. Try to arrange a test flight, if someone you know or a truck acc. shop has a roof top tent set up give it a go getting in and out, laying down etc. I loved the idea of a RTT but when i really looked one over in person it seemed like it would not be much better than on the ground in terms of comfort or ease of use. Being up of the ground is a big plus. But im old, fat and have bad knees lol so climbing in and out of the rtt was not as much fun as it looked like on you tube. if you have to get up to use the rest room at night getting down from the rtt is not real convenient either. but, i am not all thumbs down. i do still like some of the roof top and bed top setups and if i had the cash for one id likely force myself to get used to the issues i dont like about them. I think they are much less PITA than a normal tent set up. one of the members here had a sweet overland set up but i cant remember who. im sure the pics are around some place.
this was my experience as well. I rented a teardrop trailer with a rooftop tent. I was so in love with the idea of it, but in actuality it was no better than a regular tent IMO.

All of that just to say “try before you buy.” See if you can rent something with a rooftop tent for a weekend trip before shelling out $3k+ for one. And remember, it’s only easier to set up if you leave it on all year long or don’t factor in the time it takes to take it on and off your rack.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
this was my experience as well. I rented a teardrop trailer with a rooftop tent. I was so in love with the idea of it, but in actuality it was no better than a regular tent IMO.

All of that just to say “try before you buy.” See if you can rent something with a rooftop tent for a weekend trip before shelling out $3k+ for one. And remember, it’s only easier to set up if you leave it on all year long or don’t factor in the time it takes to take it on and off your rack.
Agreed. The two big appeals of a rooftop are the quickness of setup and teardown and the not on the hard ground. There are tents like the Gazelle that set-up and tear down as quick (or quicker), swags that are faster than both, and plenty of options for quality mattresses (not air beds or sleeping pads). I really wanted to justify a RTT but in the end couldn't find a way.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Agreed. The two big appeals of a rooftop are the quickness of setup and teardown and the not on the hard ground. There are tents like the Gazelle that set-up and tear down as quick (or quicker), swags that are faster than both, and plenty of options for quality mattresses (not air beds or sleeping pads). I really wanted to justify a RTT but in the end couldn't find a way.
i think we have a member that sells swags and swag gear. maybe even has a discount for r5g members?

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Have you considered the roll up aluminum covers? I have the Bak Revolver X4S. I installed the taller Billie Bars over top of it. Still rolls up. nice to have a secure space for daily activities and the utility racks stay in place too.

For the record - BillieBars use a clamp that wraps around the bed rail. Once they are installed, tonneau cover rails can then be added. This both raises the rails and moves them inwards. I didn’t want that. So I cut up the brackets and bolted them through the bed rails.

89DCBBC5-41E3-461F-BF8B-818E03B76F96.jpeg
CBD9B9BD-49AF-4310-B2D2-AD1B56784EDA.jpeg
D2825BD3-B46D-427B-92A2-7FBB4CD5BBCF.jpeg
FE6E5830-0145-48D9-9F66-F0E6F13F63ED.jpeg

Last edited:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Have you considered the roll up aluminum covers? I have the Bak Revolver X4S. I installed the taller Billie Bars over top of it. Still rolls up. nice to have a secure space for daily activities and the utility racks stay in place too.

89DCBBC5-41E3-461F-BF8B-818E03B76F96.jpeg
CBD9B9BD-49AF-4310-B2D2-AD1B56784EDA.jpeg
D2825BD3-B46D-427B-92A2-7FBB4CD5BBCF.jpeg
FE6E5830-0145-48D9-9F66-F0E6F13F63ED.jpeg
now that is one well stocked and ready truck bed!

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
i think we have a member that sells swags and swag gear. maybe even has a discount for r5g members?
Maybe @RoadBoss? His YouTube videos about them is what got them on my radar. Honestly I don't recommend the 23Zero solely because the US distributor isn't great, largely due to shipping. If you're in the southwest, especially Utah, that isn't an issue.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Maybe @RoadBoss? His YouTube videos about them is what got them on my radar. Honestly I don't recommend the 23Zero solely because the US distributor isn't great, largely due to shipping. If you're in the southwest, especially Utah, that isn't an issue.
that may be the one i was thinking of

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
HI! Yep I sell swags! check out tjaoutfitters.com or feel free to DM me
Sponsored