First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Based on F150 sales being almost 10 times Ranger sales, I don’t see why Ford continues to manufacture the Ranger. Why keep another line, supply chain, service, warranty for another truck ? If even half those Ranger sales convert to F150, Ford would probably be way ahead.
I had been driving new Tacoma's since 1993. And I would have bought another new Tacoma if Ford didn't have the Ranger. I don't need a full size truck and wouldn't have bought an F-150.

Ford understands that.
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
You're basically describing the justification Ford gave for why they dropped the Ranger back in 2011. And the reason why the Tacoma surged into the forefront of compact/mid-size sales. Because the reality is that most of us who own/want a Ranger won't move up to an F-150 like Ford thought, instead we'll go and buy from the other available trucks of that size. And that is ultimately why Ford brought the Ranger back, because the compact/midsize truck segment never ended up going away. If Ford had stayed in it and actually invested in the Ranger between 2004-2012, instead of letting it wallow and ultimately fail, they probably would still be #1 in midsize sales. Same as they are in full-size sales.

Tacoma Sales over the years. Notice the nice big jump in 2012, and they haven't looked back since.
1614959233260.png
I think Nissan may have seen something similar with their Titan and Frontier.

They must have thought everyone would buy the Titan and let the Frontier shrivel on the vine for WAY too long.

Titan sales never hit their expectations and while Nissan continued to push the Titan the Frontier languished, though languish still meant it sold more than the Titan.

I used to have an F250 Super Duty. I never came close to using it to its potential.

A mid-size is more than enough for my needs. I didn't even consider an F150 or other full size.

And among the Tacoma, Canyorado, Frontier, and Gladiator I preferred the Ranger.

bandit67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones 302
Based on F150 sales being almost 10 times Ranger sales, I don’t see why Ford continues to manufacture the Ranger. Why keep another line, supply chain, service, warranty for another truck ? If even half those Ranger sales convert to F150, Ford would probably be way ahead.
F Series consists of F150, F250, F350, and possibly also F450 & F550, so it's not a matter of F150 outselling Ranger 10 times over. Ford saw what Tacoma sales did for the 8 years there was no US Ranger, and listened to customer feedback regarding wanting the Ranger brought back. The overseas Ranger sold well from 2012 through 2018, and the 2 or 3 years prior to 2019, the Australian Ranger outsold the Toyota pickup.

I see way more Rangers on the road where I am this year than I did last year. For most of my first year driving my Ranger, I felt like I was the only one on the road. US Ranger sales will continue to climb and will slowly chip away at Tacoma sales. Give it a few more years, and the Ranger should have a pretty strong market share.

Dunedain Ranger

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Super Cab - 2WD, 1995 Honda Accord EX Station Wagon
F Series consists of F150, F250, F350, and possibly also F450 & F550, so it's not a matter of F150 outselling Ranger 10 times over. Ford saw what Tacoma sales did for the 8 years there was no US Ranger, and listened to customer feedback regarding wanting the Ranger brought back. The overseas Ranger sold well from 2012 through 2018, and the 2 or 3 years prior to 2019, the Australian Ranger outsold the Toyota pickup.

I see way more Rangers on the road where I am this year than I did last year. For most of my first year driving my Ranger, I felt like I was the only one on the road. US Ranger sales will continue to climb and will slowly chip away at Tacoma sales. Give it a few more years, and the Ranger should have a pretty strong market share.
Totally agree! I got my Ranger last February and I hardly saw any others for the first several months, but I've noticed a steady increase since October(ish).

Ford2transit

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
me too If even half those Ranger sales convert to F150, Ford would probably be way ahead.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
me too If even half those Ranger sales convert to F150, Ford would probably be way ahead.
but they wouldn't, they'd go to toyota or GMC or nissan or jeep--anybody who wants an f150 already has one. and since truck buyers tend to be brand loyal, ford wouldn't just lose this sale they'd also lose the next one and the one after.
Sponsored