Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
  • Banned
Been mulling over bed covering options. Really want to transport my pups in the bed, St Bernard and Pyrenees. They're big and cleaning slobber off the windows is getting old.

For that reason I've been thinking about a Bestop Supertop or SofTopper. But it wouldn't be up all the time, and I like the idea of something covering the bed when it's not.

Considered getting the topper then possibly drilling instead of clamping to POSSIBLY fit a tonneau and it's rails inside/under the topper rails. But that seems like a lot trial and error possibly.

Found these guys. A bit pricey but seems like it might be what I'm looking for. Anybody have any experience with them? Thoughts?

https://www.fas-top.com/Default.asp

I searched, couldn't find anything.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
What??? Are you kidding me? That thing looks incredible. We've been talking about the same thing; neither of us wants a hard shell topper but occasionally we might want it. This could have some real value. I've got to find out more.

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
  • Banned
What??? Are you kidding me? That thing looks incredible. We've been talking about the same thing; neither of us wants a hard shell topper but occasionally we might want it. This could have some real value. I've got to find out more.
The one I built came out to just under $1500. Little pricey, but build time says 1-2 weeks. Bestop and SofTopper are up in the air time frame wise, but are about $600-$700 cheaper without a built in tonneau.

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
  • Banned
big slobbering dogs?
got you covered

1612365802083.png
I know enough to know that's too much rig for me.

My dogs love to cruise and it's a pain in my ass. Before, we'd go for for rides in the Jeep but it's under construction now. I've got backseat and door protection in the truck, but the hair and windows (I HATE dirty windows) drives me nuts till I clean it. Then when I do, I don't want to take them out because "I just cleaned it."

Something like this would allow guilt free weekly cruises and have some utility the other 95% of the time I drive it.

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
The one I built came out to just under $1500. Little pricey, but build time says 1-2 weeks. Bestop and SofTopper are up in the air time frame wise, but are about $600-$700 cheaper without a built in tonneau.
We are already looking at a thousand for the cover, which was the BAK Revolver. This price doesn't scare me away. I watched the video and it looks like a really solid product. I'll have to do more research and see what users have said about it. Pretty cool engineering, to say the least.

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
  • Banned
We are already looking at a thousand for the cover, which was the BAK Revolver. This price doesn't scare me away. I watched the video and it looks like a really solid product. I'll have to do more research and see what users have said about it. Pretty cool engineering, to say the least.
That's funny.

I was thinking I MIGHT be able to get a BAK Revolver and a BesTop to work together. But that would be near $1900 AND require some, or a lot, of tinkering.

I was searching to see if anybody had successfully combined a BesTop and a tonneau when I stumbled upon these dudes.

They seem small, all their Google reviews seem like local folk.

So far the downside I see is security, due to the bowed canvas tonneau. But that's not my biggest concern.

Construction seems solid and install seems straightforward.

brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I had a Bak RevolverX2 roll up on my 2015 F150 and transferred it to my 2018 F150, ended up giving to a friend when I traded off the 2018 for my Ranger. I now have one on my 2019 Ranger. I have had no issues with it and anyone who sees it really likes the roll up part since it allows you to still see out the rear window by not blocking your vision.

Last edited:

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
That's funny.

I was thinking I MIGHT be able to get a BAK Revolver and a BesTop to work together. But that would be near $1900 AND require some, or a lot, of tinkering.

I was searching to see if anybody had successfully combined a BesTop and a tonneau when I stumbled upon these dudes.

They seem small, all their Google reviews seem like local folk.

So far the downside I see is security, due to the bowed canvas tonneau. But that's not my biggest concern.

Construction seems solid and install seems straightforward.
ManMakesFire review

I found this review by an outdoorsy-type who goes by "manmakesfire". He really likes it and if you read the whole review, he probably answers most of the questions you might have. I am strongly considering changing my mind about this.

Hauling my bikes from FL to MI and back every year (while on/in my vehicle which is being towed behind my motorhome) takes a lot of thought and work. With this, I could simply lock them into their stand-up rack and not have to worry about putting bicycle covers over them, which really get abused by the wind and need to be replaced every couple of years.

I wish I could see one in person!

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
I also stumbled across them when looking at soft tops. I don't think they're so much small, rather their main business is covers for farm trucks and such. I found a few taco owners that talked about them in forums, as well as a ND fishing forum (nodakangler.com). The search engine there is crap, so if you're going to look, try something like https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site:nodakangler.com+fas-top&atb=v183-1&ia=web. I also found that like most everything else, they've gone up in cost a lot in a few years. The tonneau/topper combo is unique for sure.

edit: maybe a more ambitious person would want to approach them with a group buy idea.

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I also stumbled across them when looking at soft tops. I don't think they're so much small, rather their main business is covers for farm trucks and such. I found a few taco owners that talked about them in forums, as well as a ND fishing forum (nodakangler.com). The search engine there is crap, so if you're going to look, try something like https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site:nodakangler.com+fas-top&atb=v183-1&ia=web. I also found that like most everything else, they've gone up in cost a lot in a few years. The tonneau/topper combo is unique for sure.

edit: maybe a more ambitious person would want to approach them with a group buy idea.
You had me until you said, "ambitious"! :yawn::)

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
ManMakesFire review

I found this review by an outdoorsy-type who goes by "manmakesfire". He really likes it and if you read the whole review, he probably answers most of the questions you might have. I am strongly considering changing my mind about this.

Hauling my bikes from FL to MI and back every year (while on/in my vehicle which is being towed behind my motorhome) takes a lot of thought and work. With this, I could simply lock them into their stand-up rack and not have to worry about putting bicycle covers over them, which really get abused by the wind and need to be replaced every couple of years.

I wish I could see one in person!
Nice find on that review. Seems pretty detailed. Though I will point out he mentioned he was provided the unit. I prefer reviews where the individual bought the item.

Really digging this option. Sounds like a cabside weatherstripping solution might need to be found. But like you, wish I could see one in person.

Taco forum lead me them as well.

Now that I think about it some more the cost doesn't seem too bad.

Might have to blaze the trail here.

Ambitious? I'm a 44 year old milkman, what's ambition?

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Nice find on that review. Seems pretty detailed. Though I will point out he mentioned he was provided the unit. I prefer reviews where the individual bought the item.

Really digging this option. Sounds like a cabside weatherstripping solution might need to be found. But like you, wish I could see one in person.

Taco forum lead me them as well.

Now that I think about it some more the cost doesn't seem too bad.

Might have to blaze the trail here.

Ambitious? I'm a 44 year old milkman, what's ambition?
Hey, Doug. Did you do any more investigating on this? Or better yet, decide to be the guinea pig for us all???

I really prefer the BAK Revolver for the cover but this integrated topper will just solve so many issues that the BAK won't so I'm leaning heavily towards it.

I just wish it were priced where it was a couple years ago. They must be successful, because the prices went up by several hundred dollars since then.

OP
OP

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Hey, Doug. Did you do any more investigating on this? Or better yet, decide to be the guinea pig for us all???

I really prefer the BAK Revolver for the cover but this integrated topper will just solve so many issues that the BAK won't so I'm leaning heavily towards it.

I just wish it were priced where it was a couple years ago. They must be successful, because the prices went up by several hundred dollars since then.
Nothing yet.

But I plan to get serious about finding a solution for my bed soon.

Still considering it and I will let y'all know when I find anything out or purchase.

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Nothing yet.

But I plan to get serious about finding a solution for my bed soon.

Still considering it and I will let y'all know when I find anything out or purchase.
Cool.

I just talked to my dealer and we are going to put in our Tremor order sometime this month so it gets to us in June. I obviously won't need the cover before then. I'm hoping they run a sale or something. I sent them an email asking if they ever ran specials or promotions but they didn't respond. Seems pretty typical of most emails I send to ANY corporation right now!

Thanks for letting me know.

Last edited:

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
I sent them an email asking if they ever ran specials or promotions but they didn't respond. Seems pretty typical of most emails I send to ANY corporation right now!
Have you tried subscribing to emails (bottom of a page)? Man, I'm not sure they want to correspond with customers that way.
Sponsored