Fas-Top Travel Package installed (painful but worth it in the end)

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
So, my Tremor came in and I picked it up last Friday. My Travel Package took a week later to arrive and I excitedly went out to put it on at 5 o'clock on a Friday of a holiday weekend.

The good? High quality materials, very easy to switch back and forth between tonneau cover and soft-topper.

The bad? Really sketchy instructions. I mean, REALLY sketchy instructions. One thing that this company must do better is write the instructions with the assumption that the user knows NOTHING about the product, because that is usually the case. Also, starting off with a parts list where a picture and quantity of every piece is shown would be immensely helpful.

The initial installation probably took me a lot longer than it should have, but now that I've survived that ordeal, I am quite pleased with how it turned out. I immediately took it out on the interstate with the topper up and saw no movement at all at about 80 MPH. I also took it to the car wash with the cover on and saw VERY little water at both front and back, just a trickle down the walls. I was planning on putting some weatherstripping up front where the main rail goes across, but not sure that I really need to. I'll delay that decision, for now.

Pricing was around $1400 plus tax and shipping but they were running a 15% off sale, so after tax and delivery ($84), it was just over $1330 total.

My apologies for the sloppy job of attaching the Velcro sides on the topper. I was in a bit of a hurry and just wanted to get some pics of each state of operation. It really does look better than that picture shows.

Hope this helps with anyone making purchasing decision.

20210529_141858.jpg
20210529_141910.jpg
20210529_141917.jpg
20210529_144846.jpg
20210529_144915.jpg
20210529_145808.jpg
20210529_145815.jpg
20210529_145918.jpg
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I didn't have any issues with the directions. There's a video link included as well.

My only issue was the storage flap for the topper was missing. They had it out to me with a simple call though.

Dogs love mine. Hope it works out well for you too.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I can see how that would be hard to figure out. I returned my first tonneau for the same reason. The instructions were garbage and once I reasonably figured that out I could see that the hardware was crap.

OP
OP
TimmyB

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I didn't have any issues with the directions. There's a video link included as well.

My only issue was the storage flap for the topper was missing. They had it out to me with a simple call though.

Dogs love mine. Hope it works out well for you too.
You are probably a bit more mechanically inclined than I am. I'll admit that I'm still learning that part of life, even in my 60's! ? The videos do a decent job of putting up and down, but I saw nothing about building and initial install of the topper. That's where the bulk of my time was lost. That, and the 15 minutes I wasted, not realizing they had sent two different size bolts for the cover and of course, I grabbed the short one and couldn't make the C-clamp work!!! :facepalm:

I'm hoping this is the ticket for me. I need the cover 95% of the time, but I really need the topper when I'm hauling my Ranger behind my MH and need the extra space for bikes and such.

Glad yours is working out for both you AND the dogs!

OP
OP
TimmyB

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I can see how that would be hard to figure out. I returned my first tonneau for the same reason. The instructions were garbage and once I reasonably figured that out I could see that the hardware was crap.
What did you end up with, or are you still going without?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
You are probably a bit more mechanically inclined than I am. I'll admit that I'm still learning that part of life, even in my 60's! ? The videos do a decent job of putting up and down, but I saw nothing about building and initial install of the topper. That's where the bulk of my time was lost. That, and the 15 minutes I wasted, not realizing they had sent two different size bolts for the cover and of course, I grabbed the short one and couldn't make the C-clamp work!!! :facepalm:

I'm hoping this is the ticket for me. I need the cover 95% of the time, but I really need the topper when I'm hauling my Ranger behind my MH and need the extra space for bikes and such.

Glad yours is working out for both you AND the dogs!
We all learn something new everyday, at least we should.

The instructions had a link to a YouTube install video, I think this was it for anybody that might need it going forward.

For the bulkhead seal I used Gorilla Tape to hold a garage door bottom seal in place as I installed. It worked well if you end up needing a seal there.

Should work very well for your intended usage. If you didn't add it at the time of purchase you might want to get the rear window black out panel for some added security.

OP
OP
TimmyB

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
We all learn something new everyday, at least we should.

The instructions had a link to a YouTube install video, I think this was it for anybody that might need it going forward.

For the bulkhead seal I used Gorilla Tape to hold a garage door bottom seal in place as I installed. It worked well if you end up needing a seal there.

Should work very well for your intended usage. If you didn't add it at the time of purchase you might want to get the rear window black out panel for some added security.
You know, I do recall seeing that video but it drove me crazy that they took out all of his instructions and replaced them with that music! You could tell he was talking and pointing out things, but no idea what he said! I probably should have gone back and watched that one and just tried to learn from it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was wondering what would work for the water, if I need it. I did indeed buy the blackout window. Haven't put it on, yet. Tomorrow, I'm going to load up my bikes and figure out how they'll do there.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
You know, I do recall seeing that video but it drove me crazy that they took out all of his instructions and replaced them with that music! You could tell he was talking and pointing out things, but no idea what he said! I probably should have gone back and watched that one and just tried to learn from it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was wondering what would work for the water, if I need it. I did indeed buy the blackout window. Haven't put it on, yet. Tomorrow, I'm going to load up my bikes and figure out how they'll do there.
The music was definitely annoying.

I had a hard time finding weatherstripping thick enough and didn't want to stack multiple strips of it.

Your bikes should be plenty comfy and secure back there.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
What did you end up with, or are you still going without?
The lousy cover was a TrailFX. I ended up with a Truxedo Truxsport that I like well enough. The cover itself looks identical to the TrailFX but the rails and mounting hardware are better.

OP
OP
TimmyB

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
The music was definitely annoying.

I had a hard time finding weatherstripping thick enough and didn't want to stack multiple strips of it.

Your bikes should be plenty comfy and secure back there.
Oh, and I would be remiss if I failed to mention this. When I was struggling at 6:15 pm, Friday evening, holiday weekend, I sent a text to Grant to see if anyone was working or if they had all gone home. I thought ND was two hours behind me but I found out they were only one, so it was 5:15 there. No chance anyone was there, do I went back to figuring it out.

You want to believe Grant actually called and texted later that evening when he got my message? Wow, that is service above and beyond! Fortunately, I had made sense of it all by then. Nice work, Grant!

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
@TimmyB, when you ordered yours, did you mark your bed as 58 or 59"? It's like 58 3/8" on mine from inside to inside.

OP
OP
TimmyB

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
@TimmyB, when you ordered yours, did you mark your bed as 58 or 59"? It's like 58 3/8" on mine from inside to inside.
Hi, David.

Actually, I did neither as I had no truck to measure.

I informed them that my Ranger with Tremor Package, which means 5' box, was built and enroute to my dealership. I knew they had already done a package or two for the 5' box Ranger so I was confident in their ability to make one. I really like mine, so far, but it's a bit of a learning curve figuring out just how to put the soft-top up, even after watching the video a few times! Feel free to message me if you get stuck.

t

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Hi, David.

Actually, I did neither as I had no truck to measure.

I informed them that my Ranger with Tremor Package, which means 5' box, was built and enroute to my dealership. I knew they had already done a package or two for the 5' box Ranger so I was confident in their ability to make one. I really like mine, so far, but it's a bit of a learning curve figuring out just how to put the soft-top up, even after watching the video a few times! Feel free to message me if you get stuck.

t
Ok, cool. I'm really wanting to get one. I emailed them a few days ago because they have a 35% off coupon on tonneaus right now. I asked if I ordered a tonneau and topper separately to get a partial discount would I be doubled up on parts. I would expect to end up with two sets of side rails.

She didn't really answer my question, but said that the sale was for tonneaus only and there would be a sale on the travel package "in the near future". I inquired as to how long exactly that would be if they could tell me, but didn't get an answer. My wife and I are taking a trip to Colorado at the end of July and I'd like to have it before then.

OP
OP
TimmyB

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Ok, cool. I'm really wanting to get one. I emailed them a few days ago because they have a 35% off coupon on tonneaus right now. I asked if I ordered a tonneau and topper separately to get a partial discount would I be doubled up on parts. I would expect to end up with two sets of side rails.

She didn't really answer my question, but said that the sale was for tonneaus only and there would be a sale on the travel package "in the near future". I inquired as to how long exactly that would be if they could tell me, but didn't get an answer. My wife and I are taking a trip to Colorado at the end of July and I'd like to have it before then.
Good questions and I really don't know the answer about double parts. I do know that mine came prepared for both, so I didn't have to add nuts into the rails or the extra Velcro flap that holds the topper to the tonneau cover.

OP
OP
TimmyB

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Hey, David.

On FB, they just posted about a bike race they were at over the weekend and they posted this:

Thank you everyone for coming out to the Otter Creek Bike Race! It was a great time with amazing people!
Get $250 off a TRV
Enter code: bike

$250 off is a pretty sweet deal. Better than the 15% off that I got last month, anyway!

Good luck with yours!
Sponsored