First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Engineer
I’m a plastics and rubber engineer and Just noticed both orange bumpers over rear springs are incompletely filled parts (bottom 1/3 is thin and missing in spots). I can understand how they accidentally got included with good parts at the molder (although it’s not a good sign) since during startup the tool and molding machine has to warm up and settle in. molded parts typically automatically ejected and collected In a box or container. But how can an assembly worker install something like this??? Both sides are bogus.

just contacted dealer to get them replaced, should not be an issue as they are obviously defective from factory. Never seen anything like this on my 2012 Tacoma or 2016 T4R. Ford needs to improve quality control. Pinch welds look like heck, too. Love the Ranger but wish Ford manufactured as well as Toyota. They charge enough for the product!
E9DF9B07-65FF-46AA-BC1E-8CFBC61B14B7.jpeg
Sponsored

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I’m a plastics and rubber engineer and Just noticed both orange bumpers over rear springs are incompletely filled parts (bottom 1/3 is thin and missing in spots). I can understand how they accidentally got included with good parts at the molder (although it’s not a good sign) since during startup the tool and molding machine has to warm up and settle in. molded parts typically automatically ejected and collected In a box or container. But how can an assembly worker install something like this??? Both sides are bogus.

just contacted dealer to get them replaced, should not be an issue as they are obviously defective from factory. Never seen anything like this on my 2012 Tacoma or 2016 T4R. Ford needs to improve quality control. Pinch welds look like heck, too. Love the Ranger but wish Ford manufactured as well as Toyota. They charge enough for the product!
E9DF9B07-65FF-46AA-BC1E-8CFBC61B14B7.jpeg
Actually, getting defective parts included in the bin with parts that meet spec is the problem. By the time the assembler on the assembly line gets the parts, it needs to be assumed all the parts in the bin meet spec.

The rubber baby buggy bumper manufacturer screwed up.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
There is nothing wrong with your bump stops, they are just hunks of foam and long as they are present they are fine.

“Pinch weld” areas always look the same, kinda crappy. Yotas included. Same spot weld robots used by all the factories.

Try to just enjoy owning the most reliable mid-size on the market and don’t over analyze it too much.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
That's how they all look after the first drive

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
The rubber baby buggy bumper manufacturer screwed up.
That one always confused me , is the baby made of rubber ? Shouldn't it be " Baby Buggy Rubber Bumper " ?
Or did the Rubber break and that's why we have a damn baby ?? and a damn buggy..

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
That one always confused me , is the baby made of rubber ? Shouldn't it be " Baby Buggy Rubber Bumper " ?
Or did the Rubber break and that's why we have a damn baby ?? and a damn buggy..
I think you are right. I will just go with, "I mis-spoke", that always works. :)

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
I’m a plastics and rubber engineer
You sure? Like others have said, your bump stops are completely normal. All of ours are like that, they are not supposed to be solid rubber. I would do some research before the dealer laughs at you, and probably before going on an internet tirade.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
You sure? Like others have said, your bump stops are completely normal. All of ours are like that, they are not supposed to be solid rubber. I would do some research before the dealer laughs at you, and probably before going on an internet tirade.
Yeah and these bump starts are not plastic or rubber so starting off his post trying to impress everyone (or squash critics) was kind of pointless..

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I spent a week at a Holiday Inn Express one night.
Can I be an expert too?
:)

driverdenali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XL SXT
Hey just as a heads up, that’s pretty normal looking, Toyotas don’t use an “active bump stop” they use a pretty standard stop which is rectangular in shape, ford uses “active” the bottom is meant to flex up before hitting the hard part of the bump cone which has very little give. A lot of people to upgrade to get short or more rigid ones from eibach, timbur, or icon.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I just went out and looked and can confirm the consensus that it is normal.

I will say mine looks a lot nicer than the OP's, the cut-out actually looks moulded with rounded edges, etc., not like someone took a box cutter to it, but the OP's is definitely not defective.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I'm going to take you all's word for it and not bother to go look at mine.
Just one less thing I'm going to think I have to replace ;)