Extended length canopy for truck camping?

4x4AZ

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Land Surveyor
Hey guys! I have an extended cab with the 6' bed. I am currently rocking a hard-folding Ford tonneau cover and a tent when I camp, but I greatly prefer canopy shells for multiple reasons and I'd like to get one for camping. Which leads me to my issue: I am 6'3", and between my height and a small pillow I don't really fit in the bed of the truck, especially when my wife is along and I can't sleep at as much of an angle. So, what I am looking for is ideas for a canopy setup that would potentially extend slightly past the end of the bed (yes, with the tailgate removed). Does anyone make such a canopy? My ideal would be something that has an aluminum frame/panels and would sit on the bed rails (like a normal canopy) but then would have a door opening on the back.

Essentially, what I want is a commercial truck cap for the ranger like pictured BUT with a length that extends roughly to the back of the rear bumper (maybe like a 6'6" length total) and would have a "floor panel" that would enclose the bottom into the bed. Does anyone know any companies that make a product that is similar or that would make what I am looking for?

download.jpg

download (1).jpg
Sponsored

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
I'm 6'4" and perfectly happy in a tent. I've got my ultralight tent for backpacking but my newer pride and joy for car camping is a Gazelle instant popup tent. Its a beast packed up, 8" diameter by 68" long, 30 pounds but quick deploy. I have standing head room in the T4 but they make a smaller T3. Coleman has instant tents too.

I can envision what you're after but I've never run across it. I think your solution is the one linked above, which would inquire setup and would not accommodate a 'fixed' bed solution. That, or a cabover wedge or popup. Tent is your easiest, cheapest option AND you can leave your camp site occupied for the day while you run around.

OP
OP
4x4AZ

4x4AZ

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Land Surveyor
https://topperezlift.com/index.php/product/the-nomad-camper-package/

Not sure what cap you are gonna get, I have a RSI, but plan on getting the nomad for camping.
Thanks for posting that! I had never seen that before - I had seen the topperlift but not the standalone extension for the nomad camper. That might be a good idea if I go with a more standard canopy like an ARE or Leer. Only thing I don't like is the having to set it up every time I camp or move the truck and the possibility of leaks in heavy rain (I live in Western Oregon).

I did find a solution though in doing some YouTube research that might be more what I'm looking for. SoftRoadingtheWest has an aluminum contractor canopy and had the same problem as me, so he custom made an extension by removing one of the doors of the canopy and welding together a "box" in its place. I'm not much of a fabricator myself but I have relatives who are and I could probably convince to help me build something like this.

Custom Canopy by Softroadingthewest.png

Strobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Sport 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting that! I had never seen that before - I had seen the topperlift but not the standalone extension for the nomad camper. That might be a good idea if I go with a more standard canopy like an ARE or Leer. Only thing I don't like is the having to set it up every time I camp or move the truck and the possibility of leaks in heavy rain (I live in Western Oregon).

I did find a solution though in doing some YouTube research that might be more what I'm looking for. SoftRoadingtheWest has an aluminum contractor canopy and had the same problem as me, so he custom made an extension by removing one of the doors of the canopy and welding together a "box" in its place. I'm not much of a fabricator myself but I have relatives who are and I could probably convince to help me build something like this.

Custom Canopy by Softroadingthewest.png
wow that looks nice, if you need that sort of thing than yeah a standard topper wouldn’t cut it.

Where in W. Ore? I’m originally from a small town, Scappoose (but went to high school in Beaverton.)

OP
OP
4x4AZ

4x4AZ

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Land Surveyor
Where in W. Ore? I’m originally from a small town, Scappoose (but went to high school in Beaverton.)
I live in Roseburg! Grew up in Medford, went to college in KFalls. :) Scappoose is a pretty area!
Sponsored