Ex Ford Engineer Tears down Evs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
It's "were", and let me help to educate you beyond just "what you want to believe".

Fuel is up because (thankfully) the virus spread is down and people are going back to work and travelling (causing increased demand). The Colonial pipeline hack (unofficially blessed by our "great guy" Putin because he isn't doing anything to arrest the culprits) didn't help.

Lumber is up because the producers slowed down production expecting a recession which turned out to be shorter than they anticipated. The Trump tariffs/ban (can't remember which) on Canadian lumber didn't help either. They're working to catch up, but it takes a while. Supply and demand forces costs up when supply is limited.

Groceries are up because producers slowed production due to reduced demand from restaurants and bars during the pandemic, not to mention the issues in production and keeping workers safe in tight quarters (like meat packing plants). It's ramping back up, but then you have the JBS hack (by more of our Russian "friends").

Again, correlation not causation. If we're still seeing price increases like this in 6 months, you might have a point. But most economists expect this to be a short-term effect due to supply and demand once supply has a chance to catch up.
Rationalization may be essential to mental health but it should not be practiced at the expense of rationality.
Be careful of becoming an apologist for the party line without reasonable examination of motives...
This isn't Groucho... its Karl.
I don't think the "Russians" had anything to do with the Colonial pipeline "hack" or the shutdown of construction of oil field and pipeline development in the U.S. while
endorsing the Russian Pipeline across Europe by the Biden administration.

How about "two weeks to flatten the curve" which turned into literally trillions in irresponsible inflation causing spending while intentionally suppressing the economy.
I wish your Pollyanna trust of the left's motives was rational, but the writing has been on the wall for too long.
As someone a LOT smarter than Biden once cautioned..."Trust, but verify".
Sponsored

Last edited:

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
GO HABS GO!!!!

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting on Bronco Sport
Solar farms that would be required to power the US, even if possible, would possibly change the global climate more than fossil fuels ever have.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Where I live we average about 60 sunny days a year so I don't know how much good a lot of solar power would do. Come winter we get maybe 9 hours of daylight even if it is sunny.
Problem with wind and solar is that they don't store electricity so you still need power plants idling as a backup. A lump of coal or a barrel of oil is stored energy waiting to be used.
Then there's my bud who put a small hydroelectric generator in the basement of his weekend cabin in the woods. He's a retired engineer who will do stuff just to see if it can be done. He had a 4" pipe taking water from a nearby stream, through his generator, and back into the same stream. State Department of Environmental Protection forced him to shut it down because the aereation caused the appearance of some supposedly endangered fish downstream. But...there are...more fish...BECAUSE of...my generator. It boils down to he was doing something that no one else had done and it's easier for bureaucrats to simply say no than to analyze it. Hell, if we let this guy do it then everyone will want their own generator and we can't have that. BTW, he put a deposit on an electric F-150 a couple weeks ago even though he won't get it for a year.
Lots of little hydro electric stations like that scattered all over New England once upon a time. Small local electric utility companies serving a town or region were bought up and shut down. Joe Dodge, in the White Mountains, dammed up small streams to power the AMC lodges and the Mt Washington observatory. All the generators are gone, but the dams remain and you can still find traces of the power lines nailed to trees.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
my condo where i work wont allow any charging, either in the underground or in the visitor parking. they claim the wiring isnt designed to handle it. (yet I always see people plugged in)
so options to me are at work....where two teslas are charging already.....or i go to the town hall where they have a few free public chargers. I havent looked for any other public chargers but i am sure there are some around....out of my way of course.

basically, theres too many hurdles for me to get an electric car at the moment, even though the driving i am doing right now is perfect for one.

the most important thing to draw from, is that nothing gets cheaper....if the governments arent taxing enough with gas revenues and income dwindles....they're going to dip into your other pockets....yes all those incentives to buy an electric car just got swallowed in the taxing of said electric cars valuable go go juice.
I know a guy in Quebec who purchased a Tesla back in 2013. The cost that he would have paid on average for fuel if that vehicle were petrol powered was added on to his registration annually.
No good deed goes unpunished.

krisrayner

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ranger FX2
Not really ford ranger related but I'm watching this guy on youtube that reminds be a lot of @P. A. Schilke

Munro Live Youtube Channel

Just thought I'd share b/c I feel a lot of us like these sort of videos
I really like Sandy's insights and observations. Having been a mechanic for over 20 years, it it gives insight as to the mind of an engineer who is looking at things from a production standpoint. There's plenty of things he's said that I'm not on board with because it seems to ignore service and repair issues down the road. It's quite clear he is interested in simplification and quality of assembly.

Sandy has seemingly waxed poetically about the Tesla modules having OTA resetable fuses. While that may seem very cool and easy to monitor problems remotely, someone down the road is going to being dealing with a module replacement to the tune of thousands of dollars instead of a $.50 fuse.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I really like Sandy's insights and observations. Having been a mechanic for over 20 years, it it gives insight as to the mind of an engineer who is looking at things from a production standpoint. There's plenty of things he's said that I'm not on board with because it seems to ignore service and repair issues down the road. It's quite clear he is interested in simplification and quality of assembly.

Sandy has seemingly waxed poetically about the Tesla modules having OTA resetable fuses. While that may seem very cool and easy to monitor problems remotely, someone down the road is going to being dealing with a module replacement to the tune of thousands of dollars instead of a $.50 fuse.
Hi Kris,

Serviceability is part of any design engineer's prameters. The sad part is that most design engineers do not have the first clue to serviceability. So for Ranger back in the day, I had a full compliment of tools and I handed the engineers the proper sized wrenches and sockets and made them show me they could take their part off the vehicle down in the design aid room. Only a few could even use the tools. So the design aid mechanics would show them how to remove their part unless it was impossible. For those cases, I stood firm and made the engineer and their boss redesign to be serviceable. Not 100% perfect but 4G Rangers were easier to service than this 5G. Most engineers, when having a wrench placed in their hand look at it like it is weapon for which you inflict pain...

OP
OP
Matsterious

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
Hi Kris,

Serviceability is part of any design engineer's prameters. The sad part is that most design engineers do not have the first clue to serviceability. So for Ranger back in the day, I had a full compliment of tools and I handed the engineers the proper sized wrenches and sockets and made them show me they could take their part off the vehicle down in the design aid room. Only a few could even use the tools. So the design aid mechanics would show them how to remove their part unless it was impossible. For those cases, I stood firm and made the engineer and their boss redesign to be serviceable. Not 100% perfect but 4G Rangers were easier to service than this 5G. Most engineers, when having a wrench placed in their hand look at it like it is weapon for which you inflict pain...
Phil,

I have been noticing the amount of the older rangers that are still on the road. I don't go one day without seeing one and they always look in good shape! Great job with those trucks. That have passed the test of time!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil,

I have been noticing the amount of the older rangers that are still on the road. I don't go one day without seeing one and they always look in good shape! Great job with those trucks. That have passed the test of time!
Hi Matt,

I am so pleased to see so many of my "babies" still on the road and I feel it justified my standing firm to give the customer a robust vehicle... I took a lot of heat, but I retired on the top of my game knowing that there were millions of Rangers out there where my Engineers and I made a a difference. My team is behind the saying..."Another Fucking Ranger"... My folks done good.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Matsterious

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
Hi Matt,

I am so pleased to see so many of my "babies" still on the road and I feel it justified my standing firm to give the customer a robust vehicle... I took a lot of heat, but I retired on the top of my game knowing that there were millions of Rangers out there where my Engineers and I made a a difference. My team is behind the saying..."Another Fucking Ranger"... My folks done good.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
That had to be a really rewarding feeling. Creating something that impacts millions of people for decades.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Phil,

One thing that's nice about this area is there are a lot of great looking older vehicles. With no snow or humidity they stay on great shape out here. I've seen more older Rangers that look like they just came off the showroom floor. A far cry from when I lived back east where almost every one was rusted and or beat to death!

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
One thing that's nice about this area is there are a lot of great looking older vehicles. With no snow or humidity they stay on great shape out here. I've seen more older Rangers that look like they just came off the showroom floor. A far cry from when I lived back east where almost every one was rusted and or beat to death!
Ya back East we drive our shit boxes but have plenty of laughs doing it!

Attachments

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
How about those dampers? Does this guy originally posted about review dampers?
Do we think dampers owners are mainly one political persuasion or another? Maybe a poll?
Are damper owners mainly green energy or fossil fuel?
These are the things we need to know!
:bandit:
As much wind energy that has been spent on dampers, you'd think it was green old deal, but they haven't calculated t he energy saved by gravity reduction of damperd tailgates for taxing purposes...yet!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Ya back East we drive our shit boxes but have plenty of laughs doing it!
That's another thing I don't miss about back east is seeing all the rust buckets driving around. It was bad enough going through winters with your vehicle all dirty and nasty but there was just so many cars rusted to death that shouldn't have even been on the roads.

Ok maybe not this bad but pretty darn close. lol

Rust.jpg

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
This thread has served its purpose - it has degraded into a non helpful, off topic post.

Locking further replies.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.