Evolution of a working Ranger

Kevreh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat RWD
Nice! What rack and extender are those? Can you attach boards to that extender, or is just to hold stuff in place?

OP
OP
ljames

ljames

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jameselectronics.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4x4 FX4, 2011 CRV,1998 Ford E250 super
Occupation
contractor
They are DeeZee racks, I used 2 rears as the fronts have extra aluminum (for protection) that I did not like.
the aluminum boards are 2x4 actual x 1/8 inch wall($175) aluminum tubing 2x10 foot and yes they simply screw into the movable angle brackets on the top You can also attach items to the sides.
I opened the dee zee racks up a touch (by putting one end under my big trucks step bumper and pulled down on the other end to take out a degree or two from the curve) as they are about a full inch too narrow due to the method they use for mounting - 2 clips which pressure fit onto the inside edge of the bed. I did not like that approach so I drilled in the first groove towards the box in top plastic edge protector and used stainless hex button head bolts 5/16" and special nuts with a welded on stub so they will not spin. It is importang to take your time and discover where the holes in the top of the bed are to avoid them. I drilled a extra mounting hole in line with the first grove to miss these holes.
The DeeZee racks were on special on Amazon and I bought the last 2 they had (in silver) for a great price and had them powder coated ($225) in a special rough black.. they match the plastic color perfectly. The rears I screw down with #14 Tec screws (self drilling) as I do not keep this on the rear unless I need it. The aluminum planks can be screwed into as you see fit to do most any kind of application you would want including a tent platform. I can put the rear rack on in 5 minutes, the planks in another 5.
Hope that helps!

Dee Zee DZ95071R Silver Rear Aluminum Truck Rack
Sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC
Return eligible through Jan 31, 2021
$134.57

rack bolts.jpg

rack with 16 foot steel on it.jpg

Kevreh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat RWD
Good info, thanks. With that bed extender, could you lay a few sheets of drywall on it? Laying sheetgoods in the bed can be a little awkward.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
ljames

ljames

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jameselectronics.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4x4 FX4, 2011 CRV,1998 Ford E250 super
Occupation
contractor
I was not happy with the height of the bed racks so I cut 2 inches off the height. Looks much better and still not touching the roof with ladders or my aluminum 2x4" rails. Simply put them on my band saw set to about 16 degrees and made perfect cuts due to the easy parallel clamp surfaces. This cut off the attachement from the bottom upward which is a 8mm bolt which went into a well inserted truss nut anchor. I inserted perfectly cut wood into the open end about 10 inches and used construction adhesive and glued them in. So I still have 2 bolts plus one lag bolt holding the uprights in place.

ranger headache rack.jpg
2 inch cut from headache rack.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: