First Name
René
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Rangers,

Looking for some advice on engine washing. I remember in the old days, we use to cover the distributor cap and any exposed electrical connections with aluminum foil, spray the engine down with GUNK engine cleaner, blast it with a hot pressure wash, and start it up, hit the gas and let the engine dry itself.

With all the electronics in these newer trucks, I'd like to make sure I don't screw something up.

1) Are there any special requirements or methods for cleaning the engine and engine compartment safely?
2) Do any of the engine parts need to be covered?
2) What product do y'all use, what works best?
Sponsored

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Out of paranoia, for the past 40 years, I have always left the engine running when doing a rinse off or after I sprayed the Gunk when doing a Gunk enhanced cleaning.

I figure if the engine starts to sputter, I can stop spraying.
Probably not necessary, but we all have are idiosyncrasies.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
It's fairly simple these days. While the engine is cool, take a squirt bottle of Simple Green and just spray it everywhere. Let it sit for 10 minutes or so and lightly scrub any areas that may be greasy. Rinse it off and then soak up any areas where water has puddled. I use an air hose. Dry what you can and you are done.

It works surprisingly well and is safe for all metals and plastics. I stay away from the engine cleaners in a can. They will almost always harm something, plus they stink. The lemon scented Simple Green I use has a faint, but nice smell.

Scott D

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/STX
I haven't washed my Ranger's engine yet, but when I cleaned the engine in my '01 Bullitt GT, I would mix up some dish washing detergent and hot water in a spray bottle.

Spray everything while the engine was running and rinse. I think the only thing I covered was the box that had the fuses in it.

rparge

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired.
From the owners manual, page 275:

CLEANING THE ENGINE

Engines are more efficient when they are clean because grease and dirt buildup keep
the engine warmer than normal.
When washing:

•Take care when using a power washer to clean the engine. The high-pressure
fluid could penetrate the sealed parts and cause damage.

•Do not spray a hot engine with cold water to avoid cracking the engine block or other engine components.

•Spray Motorcraft Engine Shampoo and Degreaser on all parts that require cleaning and pressure rinse clean. In Canada, use Motorcraft Engine Shampoo.
Note: If your vehicle has an engine cover remove the cover before application of Motorcraft Engine Shampoo and Degreaser. Immediately rinse away any over spray.

•Never wash or rinse the engine while it is hot or running; water in the running engine may cause internal damage. •Never wash or rinse any ignition coil, spark plug wire or spark plug well, or the area in and around these locations.

•Cover the battery, power distribution box, and air filter assembly to prevent water damage when cleaning the engine.

OP
OP
Rene Michaels

Rene Michaels

First Name
René
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
From the owners manual, page 275:

CLEANING THE ENGINE

Engines are more efficient when they are clean because grease and dirt buildup keep
the engine warmer than normal.
When washing:

•Take care when using a power washer to clean the engine. The high-pressure
fluid could penetrate the sealed parts and cause damage.

•Do not spray a hot engine with cold water to avoid cracking the engine block or other engine components.

•Spray Motorcraft Engine Shampoo and Degreaser on all parts that require cleaning and pressure rinse clean. In Canada, use Motorcraft Engine Shampoo.
Note: If your vehicle has an engine cover remove the cover before application of Motorcraft Engine Shampoo and Degreaser. Immediately rinse away any over spray.

•Never wash or rinse the engine while it is hot or running; water in the running engine may cause internal damage. •Never wash or rinse any ignition coil, spark plug wire or spark plug well, or the area in and around these locations.

•Cover the battery, power distribution box, and air filter assembly to prevent water damage when cleaning the engine.
AH, now why didn't I think of checking the owner's manual? :shock:

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
Out of paranoia, for the past 40 years, I have always left the engine running when doing a rinse off or after I sprayed the Gunk when doing a Gunk enhanced cleaning.

I figure if the engine starts to sputter, I can stop spraying.
Probably not necessary, but we all have are idiosyncrasies.
this isnt great practice, it will leave bad water spots especially if you have hard water. better to use some degreaser or specific cleaners light brushes and finish with a light rinse no power washers. just dont blast electrical stuff and you will be fine stuff is pretty water proof these days.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I use a product called S100 Total Cycle Cleaner (for motorcycles) to clean the engine bay. You lightly spritz it onto a cold engine, aggitate it with a sponge, and mist it off with the water hose. It actually leaves behind some sort of really, really light dressing that makes everything shine really nice. And it's made for the whole motorcycle, engine and all, so it's okay in just the engine bay! Here is my Mustang's engine bay after using it. A bottle of this stuff will last you a long time!
2020-02-23 17.11.59.jpg

Johnv1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Luckily there are lots of black pieces of plastic that cover stuff. I just wipe those down every wash or so with waterless wash and a towel. I coated most of then black plastic with a ceramic coating which helps make it a bit easier to wipe down.

OP
OP
Rene Michaels

Rene Michaels

First Name
René
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I use a product called S100 Total Cycle Cleaner (for motorcycles) to clean the engine bay. You lightly spritz it onto a cold engine, aggitate it with a sponge, and mist it off with the water hose. It actually leaves behind some sort of really, really light dressing that makes everything shine really nice. And it's made for the whole motorcycle, engine and all, so it's okay in just the engine bay! Here is my Mustang's engine bay after using it. A bottle of this stuff will last you a long time!
2020-02-23 17.11.59.jpg
Nice! Just ordered a bottle of the S100 Total Cycle Cleaner and their Engine Brightener Aerosol. Supposed to rain all week, but I'll take some before after pics first chance I get to try it and will post here.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! Just ordered a bottle of the S100 Total Cycle Cleaner and their Engine Brightener Aerosol. Supposed to rain all week, but I'll take some before after pics first chance I get to try it and will post here.
Can't wait to see them!

OP
OP
Rene Michaels

Rene Michaels

First Name
René
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WK111K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I finally had a chance to complete my engine wash today using the "Total Cycle Cleaner" @Glocker recommended above. Very pleased with the results. I used both the S100 "Total Cycle Cleaner' and the "Engine Brightener Aerosol". Just followed directions on the bottle which was pretty basic ...spray it on and wash it off...

Below are before/after pics...

Engine before wash:
IMG_0078.jpg

Engine after S100 Total Cycle Cleaner applied and hosed off:
IMG_0080.jpg

Engine wash after S100 Engine Brightener Aerosol simply sprayed on:
IMG_0083.jpg

This stuff definitely works!

IMG_0084.jpg

Links:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036GK83Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WK111K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LouCee

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab
Looks great! Thanks for posting the before and after pics. Did you spray the cleaner on the engine cover too?
Sponsored