ENGINE STUDDER

alan andrews

First Name
alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019-ford ranger xlt
HAVE A 2019 RANGER THAT HAS ENGINE HESITATION/JERKING/SKIPPING ONLY WHEN ENGINE IS COLD UNTIL COMPLETELY WARMED UP. HAS BEEN IN THE SHOP 4 TIMES WITH NO RESOLUTION. TRUCK HAS 2400 MILES. THE SHIFTING HAS GOTTEN BETTER,HOWEVER, THE COLD STARTS STILL AN ISSUE. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND IS THERE A SOLUTION OUT THERE? THE DEALER AND FORD CARE ANSWER IS (GET USED TO IT) PLEASE HELP
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Have your dealer check for TSB's that relate to the transmission shifting rough. Also fuel quality could be an issue. Top off with Premium once and see if it goes away, or simply change stations for a few fillups and see if it's better.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Might be worth trying a pea-based injector/fuel system cleaner with a fill up too.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
HAVE A 2019 RANGER THAT HAS ENGINE HESITATION/JERKING/SKIPPING ONLY WHEN ENGINE IS COLD UNTIL COMPLETELY WARMED UP. HAS BEEN IN THE SHOP 4 TIMES WITH NO RESOLUTION. TRUCK HAS 2400 MILES. THE SHIFTING HAS GOTTEN BETTER,HOWEVER, THE COLD STARTS STILL AN ISSUE. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND IS THERE A SOLUTION OUT THERE? THE DEALER AND FORD CARE ANSWER IS (GET USED TO IT) PLEASE HELP
Hi Alan,

Do you build date in the realm of early February, there is a TSB to address this condition. There have been other posts where this "fix" was performed on units beyond the TSB in attempt to resolve this problem. It is a combination of the transmission shifting and the fuel injectors doing a split pulse when cold starting the engine. I had the TSB applied and it does help but I still feel a bit of surge in the motor for the first block from my house...then it quiets down to smooth operation. I live with the cold start surging...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

alan andrews

First Name
alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019-ford ranger xlt
Hi Alan,

Do you build date in the realm of early February, there is a TSB to address this condition. There have been other posts where this "fix" was performed on units beyond the TSB in attempt to resolve this problem. It is a combination of the transmission shifting and the fuel injectors doing a split pulse when cold starting the engine. I had the TSB applied and it does help but I still feel a bit of surge in the motor for the first block from my house...then it quiets down to smooth operation. I live with the cold start surging...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
sounds good-thanks

OP
OP

alan andrews

First Name
alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019-ford ranger xlt
Have your dealer check for TSB's that relate to the transmission shifting rough. Also fuel quality could be an issue. Top off with Premium once and see if it goes away, or simply change stations for a few fillups and see if it's better.
the dealer played with shift points which did help-now ill try the premium gas thanks for the help

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
the dealer played with shift points which did help-now ill try the premium gas thanks for the help

I'd try a different station first, the point of trying premium is it's usually good quality gas. I haven't run premium yet in 30K miles, and have not had any appreciable stutter.

DI engines are funny, they don't feel as smooth as normal port injected motors, and that's normal.

OP
OP

alan andrews

First Name
alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019-ford ranger xlt
Have you tried switching fuel brands and grades?

AND NOBODY LIKES READING ALL CAPS. QUIT YELLING.
I'd try a different station first, the point of trying premium is it's usually good quality gas. I haven't run premium yet in 30K miles, and have not had any appreciable stutter.

DI engines are funny, they don't feel as smooth as normal port injected motors, and that's normal.
good input-ill try it

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
-now ill try the premium gas thanks for the help
Part of that is to stick with top tier brands only and from a place that's busy. I'd be especially concerned about old premium, given the possibility it turns over more slowly.

OP
OP

alan andrews

First Name
alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019-ford ranger xlt
Part of that is to stick with top tier brands only and from a place that's busy. I'd be especially concerned about old premium, given the possibility it turns over more slowly.
good thoughts! ill go with that advise thanks

BDUb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL 4x4, Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
FYI All,

I just got off the phone with my local Ford service department and theybare having to replace a failing injector. 12k miles on the truck. In the morning on cold startup if I just get in and go with no warm up it stumbles and missis and the transmission feels off as well. I was hoping for just a software update issue but alas its an injector. I am now stuck in a Ford Escape until they fix that issue...major bummer! At least it happened under warranty.

olgzr

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
FYI All,

I just got off the phone with my local Ford service department and theybare having to replace a failing injector. 12k miles on the truck. In the morning on cold startup if I just get in and go with no warm up it stumbles and missis and the transmission feels off as well. I was hoping for just a software update issue but alas its an injector. I am now stuck in a Ford Escape until they fix that issue...major bummer! At least it happened under warranty.
Are they replacing only one or the entire set? The “not a truck” competitor is having a lot of fuel injector issues. They can only change them as a set with the fuel rail.
Sponsored