Engine rev after starting

bonnjer

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab 2wd
Got my 2020 XLT about a week and a half ago. It's got just over 900 miles on it now, so engine is still breaking in. I've noticed that when it has been off for a while and I start it then take off, the engine tends to "rev" for a few moments and then feels normal. Is this normal for the turbo charged engine? Haven't had one before, so figured I'd turn to those with more experience. Thanks!
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Got my 2020 XLT about a week and a half ago. It's got just over 900 miles on it now, so engine is still breaking in. I've noticed that when it has been off for a while and I start it then take off, the engine tends to "rev" for a few moments and then feels normal. Is this normal for the turbo charged engine? Haven't had one before, so figured I'd turn to those with more experience. Thanks!
Yes that’s normal for all of us. It’s the cement mixer mode. Only happens when you do that. So... Starts and idles high. Couple of minutes it will drop down a few hundred rpm. Then about 20 seconds (give or take) it will drop another 100 rpm. Drop into gear and drive. No mixer mode!

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
It might be cooling fan, its loud on cold start

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Maybe. Whatever it is does get rather loud. Almost like the engine is roaring as if you're flooring it.
You’re not used to a heavy mechanical fan, most engines now have an electric fan which doesn’t run when you first start the car. The rpms are still up on every car, but they aren’t also spinning a giant direct connected fan at the same time.
Sponsored