Engine noise when warming up

Mandelbloom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I noticed that my engine really seems to growl when I first stet driving and the engine is cold . It then seems to quite down and be zippier after it warms up . Assume this is normal ?
Sponsored

OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2019 Acura RDX and a 2007 Mazda Miata w/turbo
Vehicle Showcase
This is normal, it's the cooling fan that your are hearing. Upon start-up of the Ranger the Cooling fan (which is engaged via a electric solenoid) is engaged for a certain amount of time or until the coolant reaches a certain temp (not sure which) and then it disengages. Not sure why Ford does this?

Since I installed a tune, mine no longer does this. I believe the tuner programmed it not to engage unless called upon due to coolant temperature achieving a certain set point.

Highly recommend a tune just for that feature alone, the coolant fan engaging upon start-up makes no sense to me.

OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2019 Acura RDX and a 2007 Mazda Miata w/turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Bdubb

First Name
Bdubb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT 4x4
Occupation
Bail Bondsman
Unleashed Tuning - 91 Octane Performance tune.
Did you notice a difference in the other engine noise complaints besides the fan roar, the electronic zippy cranking sounds when hitting the throttle many have complained about?

dapakattack

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
So does the cooling fan sound like a weed wacker/eater? That sound seems most noticeable when the engine is cold or after starting and driving for the first few minutes.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So does the cooling fan sound like a weed wacker/eater? That sound seems most noticeable when the engine is cold or after starting and driving for the first few minutes.
As @RANGER PRIDE said it is the High pressure fuel pump. What can you do to quiet it down? Get the Lariat engine cover. Is is a foam based cover and will give you less engine noise to an extent. It does look goofy in my opinion but to each thier own.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I noticed that my engine really seems to growl when I first stet driving and the engine is cold . It then seems to quite down and be zippier after it warms up . Assume this is normal ?
I'm, getting the exact same thing and it looks like OKRaptor described the problem.

TXRanger13

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
I am having the same noise/issue. The engine seems to be really loud on start up. I don’t think it’s running additional RPMs, but it just seems like it’s working extra hard. After driving around for about 20-30 seconds, it goes away. The longer that I drive for a slower period of time, it seems to stay loud.

I have a new 2020 Lariat with about 500 miles on it.

I am located in Texas, and it has been doing this in about 40-50 degree weather (not that cold in my opinion).

Should I take to the dealer to get checked out or is it the engine breaking in?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
That’s the fan. All of our do the same thing. You think it was an industrial vacuum cleaner the way it sounds. Might be a critter alarm so you don’t drive off with a unwanted passengers ?
Sponsored