First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Carbonized Gray SuperCab STX FX4
Occupation
MH/FE Parts Salesman

I'm curious as to what the ticking/clicking noise I am hearing is. The one that sounds like an old school turn signal flasher.
I know the sewing machine sound is pretty normal for direct injection engine but, the loud ticking is extremely noticeable from the front of the truck. I can't seem to narrow down where it is coming from.
Truck has ~800 miles on it and I noticed this noise about a week ago. Seems to become clear once the idle has settled after a start up.
Sponsored

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Look through the passenger wheel well, above your upper control arm, at the side of the engine when it's making that noise. You can see the pushrod for the turbo wastegate. Is it flopping back and forth? That's the only thing I can think of that would possibly move repeatedly on the outside of the motor. It shouldn't be moving like that, but it was just a thought.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Does the frequency of the "flasher" change in concert with RPM?

OP
OP
RedlyrsRevenge

RedlyrsRevenge

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
MH/FE Parts Salesman
Does the frequency of the "flasher" change in concert with RPM?
It seems to not be audible once you rev it up. I was out just on my break and took one of mechanics that I work with out to hear it.
There is a buzz/vibration when you rev it up and release the throttle but, that may be the fuel pump.

OP
OP
RedlyrsRevenge

RedlyrsRevenge

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
MH/FE Parts Salesman
Look through the passenger wheel well, above your upper control arm, at the side of the engine when it's making that noise. You can see the pushrod for the turbo wastegate. Is it flopping back and forth? That's the only thing I can think of that would possibly move repeatedly on the outside of the motor. It shouldn't be moving like that, but it was just a thought.
I saw that little arm actuating and can hear that separately and distinctly. It makes a squeaking noise. Not associated with the tick as far as I can tell.

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
The frequency is about how long it would take the serpentine belt to go around once. When belts lose a chunk off of the grooved side they can make weird noises.

OP
OP
RedlyrsRevenge

RedlyrsRevenge

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
MH/FE Parts Salesman
Wait till you drive down an alley with the windows down and here all the noises the transmission makes!!!
I was in a drive thru yesterday and it was shocking how much noise the truck makes. Not even my rotted out 1967 F250 made all of those noises.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
I was in a drive thru yesterday and it was shocking how much noise the truck makes. Not even my rotted out 1967 F250 made all of those noises.
The first time i heard clicking and electric noises and hums, and clicking and servos and clicking and whirrs of electric motors was in Colorado! Is that my truck! Everywhere i went i just heard whirring and buzzing of the transmission and engine. Omg!! I hope it never breaks down because it all sound really expensive To diagnose and fix To diagnose and fix

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Wait till you drive down an alley with the windows down and here all the noises the transmission makes!!!
Ain't that the truth. I've got two 10 speeds, and they both play the same tune. :)

OP
OP
RedlyrsRevenge

RedlyrsRevenge

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
MH/FE Parts Salesman
Mine does the same thing and has since I got it. I haven't let it worry me, that's what I have a warranty for.
For sure. This is my first Ecoboost. It is all new to me. Hopefully, that warranty goes unused.
Sponsored