First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USN Aircrew
I don't know if this has been posted before and if it is I apologize for the repeat. That being said here is my question. When I am driving long distances I generally have a very light grip on the steering wheel (yes I am still hands on and have full control) and for whatever reason the truck thinks I am not holding it. Which means every 30 seconds or so I get the truck chiming at me and the hold on to the wheel warning on the screen until I tighten my grip. Is there any way to disable that feature. I have turned off everything in the screen menus I could find and that does not work.
Sponsored

slickville dave

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f 150/2020 Polaris sportsman
Occupation
retired tin knocker local 12 Pittsburgh
I don't know if this has been posted before and if it is I apologize for the repeat. That being said here is my question. When I am driving long distances I generally have a very light grip on the steering wheel (yes I am still hands on and have full control) and for whatever reason the truck thinks I am not holding it. Which means every 30 seconds or so I get the truck chiming at me and the hold on to the wheel warning on the screen until I tighten my grip. Is there any way to disable that feature. I have turned off everything in the screen menus I could find and that does not work.
didnt your 6th grade gym teacher tell ta ITS ALL IN THE GRIP

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Mine does it too.
KEEP HANDS ON THE WHEEL
They're on the wheel, they can't be anymore on the wheel!

I think it's the smooth, straight roads I'm on and not moving the wheel triggers it.

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
Turn off the lane departure ? I've never seen said warning, but we don't have the smoothest roads either! :giggle:

OP
OP

Sardog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USN Aircrew
Have your friends ever told you that you have a handshake like grabbing a pack of raw hotdogs? I'd try turning off the auto lane keep assist first.
Can't say that I have ever been told that. Can give a nice firm handshake with the best of them, just don't feel it is necessary to try to squeeze the color out of my nice leather steering wheel either.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Just hit a curb real hard and knock your truck out of alignment. The you will need to have some steering input and satisfy your truck that you are still there. It get lonely. :LOL:

Fonzei

First Name
Alfonso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Turn off Lane assist? I've only ever seen that message when I'm testing the lane assist capabilities... err in a controlled environment away from the general public of course.

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
I agree with Fonzie - the only time I get that message is when the lane keeper is on, and I relax my grip on the wheel...

gttafoya

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Electronics Technician
I get that alert often. Even with my hands at 2 and 10 O'clock. it's part of the lane keep assist.
I don't want to turn off the lane keep assist. just increase the interval of when the Keep hands on wheel alert alerts.

according to the manual, when the truck does not detect steering input for a while will trigger the alert.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The warning is indeed due to lane assist. The "warning" (NAG) will not occur with Lane Assist OFF. However, you can change the sensitivity setting in the vehicle or settings menu (I forget the exact path to change that setting but it's in there) - you can make it more tolerant of not gripping the steering wheel. I had the same issue but it no longer gives me that crap.

EDIT: Left Hand menu -> Driver Assist -> Driver Alert. Uncheck the box.
See page 185 in the manual.
Sponsored

Last edited: