First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Apparently the 2.3L Ecoboost in our Rangers has an EGR cooler: and according to the guy in the video, we may get a lot of soot build up because of it, especially those who are tuned.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Not at all shocked... I don't know how gasoline reacts to EGT's but in a diesel when the EGT's are high, you get NOX production. The EGR cooler is there to keep the charge temp below NOX temps to make the dumbasses at the EPA happy.

I'm sure it's bad for your truck, but it can't possibly be as bad for your truck as it is a diesel. Diesel exhaust by nature is abrasive, so feeding all that crap back into your intake is like sandblasting the inside of your engine.

There is a bit of soot in an ecoboost, but it's nothing like even the cleanest running diesel. EGR is on most if not all ecoboost motors I've seen (2.0L mostly).

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
In the video, the point is made this 'might' be 'helpful' if it is cooling intake charge. He also seemed apprehensive at the possibility of systems with additional filtering - but like the catch can debate, could this lead to tangible benefits whether 'cleaner' exhaust or more margins for performance?

Nyghtryder

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger w/ afterburner
Occupation
Driver
In the video, the point is made this 'might' be 'helpful' if it is cooling intake charge. He also seemed apprehensive at the possibility of systems with additional filtering - but like the catch can debate, could this lead to tangible benefits whether 'cleaner' exhaust or more margins for performance?

Hey there quick question. You mentioned a catch can debate could you clue me in. I was gonna throw one on. Also is there a way of getting rid of the EGR on these or no. Just curious.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Hey there quick question. You mentioned a catch can debate could you clue me in. I was gonna throw one on. Also is there a way of getting rid of the EGR on these or no. Just curious.
You want to read through the pinned 'catch can yes or no?' thread.

As for EGR delete I believe that is a topic meant as a joke.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
well the yota tundra thread where the msn auto "expert" identified 5 heat exchangers as an example of the tundra's complexity - so a egr cooler aka heat exchanger - brings us to 4 heat exchangers on the ranger, the 2.3 isn't 2nd class when it comes to things connected to the motor, hopefully they will prove to be reliable as a........T:)

evoaire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9.5” Redwing
Serious minds want to know

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2019 just started throwing clouds of white smoke and everything else is fine. I’m here in 2023 looking for an egr delete kit (lol)

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Those things are instruments of Satan on a diesel, as the soot in the exhaust combines with oil mist from the PCV valve to form thick tarry deposits that slowly strangle your intake manifold.
And also the EGR cooler on the Fords 3.2 diesel in our Rangers, is prone to cracking internally after a few thousand heat cool cycles and dumping coolant into your intake.
And then Ford have one last delight for you when the time comes to replace your cracked cooler, they have placed it at the very rear of the engine, requiring you to remove either the engine or gearbox to access it.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a diesel in my last vehicle (vm motori 2.8l) that I removed the egr system from entirely for that reason (the tar).

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
As for EGR delete I believe that is a topic meant as a joke.
I would hope so as removing or modifying emissions equipment is against federal law in all 50 states. And, any reputable mechanic should refuse to work on the vehicle.
Sponsored