JeffWoodall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4
Occupation
Security, Retired military (20 yrs), retired law enforcement (15 yrs)
Vehicle Showcase
I know this has been discussed on here, but the below video is great at explaining the long term issues of carbon buildup on our engines. I know there are other videos with Fordtechmakuloco talking about this same subject matter, but I haven't saw this one and basically, you can't argue with this as the evidence is right in front of you.

Yeah, some variables will change how our engines look at 100K miles (whether the particular gas we use has detergents, whether we use a product like Chevron Techron ..perhaps, and our driving habits). In general though, it looks like it is a high probability that most of us will have to get a walnut blasting service done to correct the carbon buildup. I run 87 octane, but do use Chervron Techron as this guy recommends. I do a lot of city driving as well, so I am probably worse off than several.

This "issue" is making me consider getting something with dual injection. As far as I know, they don't have a 2.3 with dual injection yet. I really like the Ranger and may just wait until around 100K miles and pay $4-500 for a walnut blasting and be done with it, still debating this.

Also, wondering if using premium gas (91 or 93 octane) will make a difference in the time frame that this apparent valve coking is going to occur. This guy knows his stuff and I tend to listen to him. I'm not sure what he means by Ecoboost needing timing jobs at around 100K miles, as we have timing chains and I wasn't aware that was an issue with Ecoboost engines or at least ours.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Sponsored

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Best we can tell here in the Ranger world, this is not something we deal with on our 2.3s. A member here put a scope down inside the cylinders on his 85-90k (can remember for sure) mile ranger and while it didn't exactly look brand new, it looked nothing at all like the horror-story-caked-up-messes you see on the interweb.

OP
OP
JeffWoodall

JeffWoodall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4
Occupation
Security, Retired military (20 yrs), retired law enforcement (15 yrs)
Vehicle Showcase
Best we can tell here in the Ranger world, this is not something we deal with on our 2.3s. A member here put a scope down inside the cylinders on his 85-90k (can remember for sure) mile ranger and while it didn't exactly look brand new, it looked nothing at all like the horror-story-caked-up-messes you see on the interweb.
Good to hear. Direct injection is direct injection, so not sure how we get past that but I'm good with it. I Guess as more get high mileage on their trucks, we will find out.

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
I've been running a catch can on my ranger for quite a while for this very same reason, hoping to prevent all that gunk from building up on the valves. Not sure if its working, i sure hope so for the pain in the ass it was to install... But I did the same on my Focus ST and put about 90k on that car and never seemed to have any issues. Mind you I never checked, but I had no reason to suspect there was an issue with build up based on how well the car performed.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Would annual seafoam in the gas help?
They say no fuel treatments will prevent Carbon Buildup on account of the fuel entering directly into the combustion chamber.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Anybody use those cleaning kits that direct the cleaner in the intake after the filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.