Dyno request: stock vs aftermarket intercooler

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
Hi 5gers! Does anyone have a before / after dyno when an aftermarket intercooler has been installed. I know for the Montune setup they have a lot of data showing it’s more efficient, but I’m interested to see how much more power that translates to?

Thanks!!
Sponsored

sal33n

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio, 2016 Mustang GT
Hi 5gers! Does anyone have a before / after dyno when an aftermarket intercooler has been installed. I know for the Montune setup they have a lot of data showing it’s more efficient, but I’m interested to see how much more power that translates to?

Thanks!!
Changing to an aftermarket intercooler will not increase horsepower. What it will do is keep your charge air temps cooler longer so that you don't get heat-soak, which will decrease HP. Basically it will let you stay in boost longer.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
You best bet would be to monitor your IATs with the stock charge cooler to see if intake temps are even getting that hot. I planned on getting an aftermarket intercooler before I even purchased the truck, mainly for towing. I hooked up my trailer and it turns out that temps stayed within 10-15* above ambient in 90* weather pulling a 5300lb trailer. So for me the stock charge cooler is more than adequate for my needs.

So, I'd hook up a scanner and see what your real world IAT's are. There's no point in spending money solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Last edited:
OP
OP
importfighter01

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I should clarify better, so my apologies. I would like to see additional power at WOT because my goal is quick ETs. A dyno would help show that, so looking for some data if it exists. My rig is a lowly 2wd base model SuperCab, thus no off-roading or towing goals for me, just going to instead try to make the most power possible at WOT.

For example, here’s a good dyno of a Focus ST that shows a 30 hp gain on dyno doing nothing but an intercooler upgrade:

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
From what I can tell, the Mustang and Focus intercoolers are much more compact and possibly restrictive compared to the Ranger which has a lot more frontal area to mount a larger IC. Thus, I doubt we will ever see the gains from just and IC change, even with a tune, that other Ecoboost 2.0-2.3 platforms do. I may be wrong, but that is kind of what I gather.

OP
OP
importfighter01

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I can tell, the Mustang and Focus intercoolers are much more compact and possibly restrictive compared to the Ranger which has a lot more frontal area to mount a larger IC. Thus, I doubt we will ever see the gains from just and IC change, even with a tune, that other Ecoboost 2.0-2.3 platforms do. I may be wrong, but that is kind of what I gather.
Great point and I agree. I wonder if the reason why a vendor like Montune hasn’t put dyno numbers out is because at the end of the day, even under WOT, the larger intercooler difference is very small. You would think if it made big gains like seen on the Focus ST they would put that all over their website as a major selling point. Perhaps Mishimoto will dyno their intercooler to provide some insight like they did with their intake video.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Great point and I agree. I wonder if the reason why a vendor like Montune hasn’t put dyno numbers out is because at the end of the day, even under WOT, the larger intercooler difference is very small. You would think if it made big gains like seen on the Focus ST they would put that all over their website as a major selling point. Perhaps Mishimoto will dyno their intercooler to provide some insight like they did with their intake video.
Mishimoto has already done a dyno run with thier intercooler and they have shown power gains with a stock Ranger. They showed some fair gains and that is due to the air chare staying cooler for longer.

OP
OP
importfighter01

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mishimoto has already done a dyno run with thier intercooler and they have shown power gains with a stock Ranger. They showed some fair gains and that is due to the air chare staying cooler for longer.
Awesome to hear! where can I find that data, Frenchy?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Awesome to hear! where can I find that data, Frenchy?
I'm pretty sure it is on one pf the videos from mishimoto and if I remember correctly it is on the thread about the mishimoto intercooler.

OP
OP
importfighter01

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm pretty sure it is on one pf the videos from mishimoto and if I remember correctly it is on the thread about the mishimoto intercooler.
Found it. Thanks Frenchy. 12hp / 14tq gain. But looking at the graph the entire powerband improved.

Bowman

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Construction
I was wondering the same thing about upgrading the intercooler. Put on the Ford Performance tune and it definitely made a difference with these 33s! In the process of researching what else I can do to slightly improve

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Now with a bigger turbo, etc. the better made and larger aftermarket intercoolers would definitely pull ahead a significant amount IMHO, I am just not convinced that on our platform we will see much with a stock turbo, etc. Now there will of course be heat soak benefits, and maybe even drivability benefits, but as far as total HP/TQ I would be surprised if we see anywhere near as much as other Ecoboost 2.0/2.3 platforms do.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Found it. Thanks Frenchy. 12hp / 14tq gain. But looking at the graph the entire powerband improved.
I'd love to see what that would be with an optimized tune. I might reach out to 5 Star and see if they have any numbers with a stock turbo and aftermarket IC with tuning. 12hp/14tq looks nice until you factor in how much you have to pay for that 12hp/14tq. I guess I am just cheap! LOL!

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
aFe advertises similar gains as Mishimoto's with just the Blade runners.
Sponsored