First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 STX Ranger, '07 XL Regular Cab 5spd Ranger,
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Hey everyone, I had this idea a while back so I whipped up a design and made it happen. What we have here is an auxiliary light mount that replaces your OEM single fog light mount and housing. For those of you that are into lighting like me, this would be a rad addition to your truck and useful too. I don't think I need to explain the benefits of more lighting.

The lights pictured are 2 Baja Designs Squadrons and 1 Baja Designs S1 for corner lighting. I'm confident other light manufacturers will fit into the OEM cut out as they are generally the same sizes, but I have not had the change to test the other brands. Also as pictured, the option to have 2 or 3 lights per side is there. The lights themselves are mounted on a channel so they can be positioned or rotated to the installers liking. These are made from 1/8" steel and are extremely solid, the lights do not move or shake/vibrate while in the dirt or over bumpy roads.

The brackets in these pictures are the first set and I have another revised set I'm waiting on to get back from coating. These ones look rusty since they are not powder coated. I made some small revisions to the second set, but they'll use the same material and mounting points. Once I get those in my hands I'll post pictures off the truck and mounted.

Let me know what you guys think. Would these be something you'd be interested in purchasing for your truck? Comment with any questions, concerns, constructive criticism or let me know if you hate them too and why!

IMG_0754.JPG
IMG_0752.JPG
IMG_0750.JPG
IMG_0753.JPG
IMG_0751.JPG
Sponsored

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
Looks high function! How is performance with them all packed in so tight? Is the beam blocked by the bumper?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Looks pretty nice.

I'd also like to see a pic of the beam pattern mounted like that.

OP
OP
Thesspirate

Thesspirate

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Looks high function! How is performance with them all packed in so tight? Is the beam blocked by the bumper?
Looks pretty nice.

I'd also like to see a pic of the beam pattern mounted like that.
The beam output on the yellow SAE lights aren't blocked anymore than they were with the OEM housings which were set back into the bumper deeper and towards the middle of the opening. So the OEM mount actually blocked a little more light than these do. The mounting channel on revision 2 is cut more towards the front of the truck, so any light that is getting cut off by the edge of the bumper won't be an issue on the revised set.

The clear light in the middle - the two spot beams are not affected at all since the light shines straight forward. The bottom "wide cornering" section is slightly affected since it is so close to the inner most pod, but the point of the wide cornering sense to to throw light to the sides and directly in front of the truck, so they do that job just fine.

Obviously the little S1 shooting out towards the corners are not affected at all.

I will try and get some pictures of them lit up at night this weekend.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
The beam output on the yellow SAE lights aren't blocked anymore than they were with the OEM housings which were set back into the bumper deeper and towards the middle of the opening. So the OEM mount actually blocked a little more light than these do. The mounting channel on revision 2 is cut more towards the front of the truck, so any light that is getting cut off by the edge of the bumper won't be an issue on the revised set.

The clear light in the middle - the two spot beams are not affected at all since the light shines straight forward. The bottom "wide cornering" section is slightly affected since it is so close to the inner most pod, but the point of the wide cornering sense to to throw light to the sides and directly in front of the truck, so they do that job just fine.

Obviously the little S1 shooting out towards the corners are not affected at all.

I will try and get some pictures of them lit up at night this weekend.
Awesome.

The middle one was my concern. But I figured running full spot would alleviate that.

For reference on the upcoming beam patterns, the middle clears are SAEs, Sports, or Pros?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Also, do you think 2 Squadron XLs would fit?

4.5 inch housing vs 3 inch.

OP
OP
Thesspirate

Thesspirate

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Also, do you think 2 Squadron XLs would fit?

4.5 inch housing vs 3 inch.
The XLs might fit, I'm actually going to pick up a set to test later today, so I'm going to get back to you on that.

For reference, from the center of the bumper out towards the wheel well:
Yellow - Squadron SAE
Clear - Squadron Sport spot/wide cornering
Clear - S1 wide cornering

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
The XLs might fit, I'm actually going to pick up a set to test later today, so I'm going to get back to you on that.

For reference, from the center of the bumper out towards the wheel well:
Yellow - Squadron SAE
Clear - Squadron Sport spot/wide cornering
Clear - S1 wide cornering
Thanks.

If you can fit the XLs in snap a pic please. Maybe one with an XL on the inside and Squadron on the outside?

Very interested.

A_Jake_Life

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4 in hot pepper red.
Vehicle Showcase
If these are ever available for purchase I'd buy a set of the brackets. I love the idea of low mounted lights.

OP
OP
Thesspirate

Thesspirate

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Thanks.

If you can fit the XLs in snap a pic please. Maybe one with an XL on the inside and Squadron on the outside?

Very interested.
My local shop didn’t have any XLs in stock, but after taking some measurements I don’t think they will fit with how these brackets sit. I designed them so you can fit a wrench inbetween the bumper and mount to make adjustments or swap out lights without removing the bracket. Because of that, the XLs would sit too low and hit the bumper.

OP
OP
Thesspirate

Thesspirate

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Graphic Designer
If these are ever available for purchase I'd buy a set of the brackets. I love the idea of low mounted lights.
Right on! I am planning on selling these, just getting an idea of how many people may be interested. I’ll definitely be posting everything on here so stay tuned!

A_Jake_Life

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4 in hot pepper red.
Vehicle Showcase
Right on! I am planning on selling these, just getting an idea of how many people may be interested. I’ll definitely be posting everything on here so stay tuned!
Did you have to cut out the stock fog light surrounds, or is it just held in via clips or bolts? The physical pocket part.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone, I had this idea a while back so I whipped up a design and made it happen. What we have here is an auxiliary light mount that replaces your OEM single fog light mount and housing. For those of you that are into lighting like me, this would be a rad addition to your truck and useful too. I don't think I need to explain the benefits of more lighting.

The lights pictured are 2 Baja Designs Squadrons and 1 Baja Designs S1 for corner lighting. I'm confident other light manufacturers will fit into the OEM cut out as they are generally the same sizes, but I have not had the change to test the other brands. Also as pictured, the option to have 2 or 3 lights per side is there. The lights themselves are mounted on a channel so they can be positioned or rotated to the installers liking. These are made from 1/8" steel and are extremely solid, the lights do not move or shake/vibrate while in the dirt or over bumpy roads.

The brackets in these pictures are the first set and I have another revised set I'm waiting on to get back from coating. These ones look rusty since they are not powder coated. I made some small revisions to the second set, but they'll use the same material and mounting points. Once I get those in my hands I'll post pictures off the truck and mounted.

Let me know what you guys think. Would these be something you'd be interested in purchasing for your truck? Comment with any questions, concerns, constructive criticism or let me know if you hate them too and why!

IMG_0754.JPG
IMG_0752.JPG
IMG_0750.JPG
IMG_0753.JPG
IMG_0751.JPG
Did someone say LIGHTS?! :p

Price for kit?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
My local shop didn’t have any XLs in stock, but after taking some measurements I don’t think they will fit with how these brackets sit. I designed them so you can fit a wrench inbetween the bumper and mount to make adjustments or swap out lights without removing the bracket. Because of that, the XLs would sit too low and hit the bumper.
I was afraid that might be the case.

Still very much interested though.

Did you have to cut out the stock fog light surrounds, or is it just held in via clips or bolts? The physical pocket part.
From what I've seen the plastic pocket itself is held in with clips/bolts and the factory lights mount to the pockets.

This mount looks like it mounts to the top mounting holes for the pocket after you remove the pocket.

OP
OP
Thesspirate

Thesspirate

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Graphic Designer
D fresh is correct. The stock fog pocket is held in by 3 screws. You remove the fog pocket and these mount in the stock location and you use all the stock hardware. I’m going to get some pictures posted up when I have some time tomorrow.
Sponsored