Drying

alex13jk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
So before my Ranger, I used to be an avid drive-thru-car-wash monthly subscription user. But since this time around I went with Shadow Black, I don't want my Ranger going through the wear and tear that those large reused bristles will put on the paint over time and cause possible swirl marking on the clear coat. On my previous black vehicle, having those swirl marks really irked me so I'm going to cancel that membership and opt to instead use a local "no touch" drive thru car wash that I ran through today and really ended up liking. The only downside was that the giant blowers at the end obviously don't blow close to everything off the truck. So my question to you all is, what drying cloths can you all recommend that will absorb really well and, just as importantly, not scratch and swirl the clear coat after prolonged use? Thanks in advance Ranger fam!
Sponsored

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I use an Absorber. It's not a natural chamois, so it won't strip wax (was told years ago that natural chamois' strip wax...???). Toss it in the washer with just soap, no softener or enhancers when it gets dirty. I taped the hole on the bottom of the tube it comes in so it doesn't dry out and keep it in the glovebox.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I’ve been use The Absorber for over 30 years. From my black trucks to my Vettes and have never had any scratches or swirls from it.

Edit: I forgot to add that these work better as they age. The first couple times they don't seem to absorb great, they're not bad but you have to go over the area a few times. Once they break in you can just about do an area in 1-2 passes. Also in those 30 years I'm only on my second one so as long as you take care of them they last a long time.

https://www.autozone.com/wash-mitts...etic-drying-towel-chamois-3-6sq-ft/939161_0_0

D3BB9C0C-46AE-473B-AEC3-EA2E40C5F2D5.jpeg

Last edited:

Jtholz

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, FX4, Blackout, 501A, Tow Package
Vehicle Showcase
If you are looking to cover a large area fairly quickly, I use the chemical guys mammoth drying towel.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If you have a battery powered leaf blower, throw it in your truck before you go to the wash. It’s works surprisingly well.
Or leave the car wash & get out & drive it very fast. :LOL:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
this is exactly what I did yesterday, it didn't work out as well as I had hoped :LOL:
Plus I don't think "Sorry officer I was just trying to dry my truck off" is going to work. ?

berlow94

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 1987 BMW 325IS Track car, 1979 Mazda RX7
Google “Ammo Hydrate” and watch some of Larry’s (Ammo NYC) videos on YouTube about the cause of swirls and marks on your paint caused from drying.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
So before my Ranger, I used to be an avid drive-thru-car-wash monthly subscription user. But since this time around I went with Shadow Black, I don't want my Ranger going through the wear and tear that those large reused bristles will put on the paint over time and cause possible swirl marking on the clear coat. On my previous black vehicle, having those swirl marks really irked me so I'm going to cancel that membership and opt to instead use a local "no touch" drive thru car wash that I ran through today and really ended up liking. The only downside was that the giant blowers at the end obviously don't blow close to everything off the truck. So my question to you all is, what drying cloths can you all recommend that will absorb really well and, just as importantly, not scratch and swirl the clear coat after prolonged use? Thanks in advance Ranger fam!
My touch-less auto wash is next to the highway ramp so immediately after the wash, I get on the highway drive 70mph for next 5 miles and get off at the next ramp...then I use large micro fiber to wipe up the rest...
81ClPRb5rPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My touch-less auto wash is next to the highway ramp so immediately after the wash, I get on the highway drive 70mph for next 5 miles and get off at the next ramp...then I use large micro fiber to wipe up the rest...
81ClPRb5rPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Been there done that but at least I took mine home to the driveway.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Last edited: