First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
Hey just got me a small 5x8 utility trailer for my 4 wheeler. And I have just a simple straight out combo ball for my receiver. The trailer has a straight tongue as well.

Naturally the trailer sits WAY HIGH becuase of this...even with the ATV on there and pushed up against the trailer front rail.

What are some of you guys using for a drop hitch? will a 5" be too much to keep the trailer level? I don't think a 2" would bring it down enough since these trucks are so dang "Butt-high".

D
Sponsored

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Probably the best way to figure it out would be to level the trailer tongue next to the hitch and measure the difference. Too many trailer variables to make an accurate measurement, unless someone has the same truck/trailer combo. Maybe get a couple to check it and return the ones that don't work.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I use this one for towing my boat. You are right, the receivers on our Rangers are high and I never needed a ball mount with this much drop before. These U-Haul ball mounts are good quality and they are made in USA:

U-Haul 7.75" drop ball mount

OP
OP

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
using a tape measure I've ordered a 5.25 drop...that should give good clearance and not a really drastic rake...

it only has a 1500 lb capacity, weighs about 425 per the specs, so again I'm figuring it will be far less than 1300 with my ATV fully kitted out.

I know when I drove with my ATV in my trucks bed it rode smoother...curious as to how it will be with a trailer.

Thanks all for the tips!
D

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
using a tape measure I've ordered a 5.25 drop...that should give good clearance and not a really drastic rake...

it only has a 1500 lb capacity, weighs about 425 per the specs, so again I'm figuring it will be far less than 1300 with my ATV fully kitted out.

I know when I drove with my ATV in my trucks bed it rode smoother...curious as to how it will be with a trailer.

Thanks all for the tips!
D
How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Rise & Drop

1616454550100.png

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Probably the best way to figure it out would be to level the trailer tongue next to the hitch and measure the difference. Too many trailer variables to make an accurate measurement, unless someone has the same truck/trailer combo. Maybe get a couple to check it and return the ones that don't work.
Old thread, but nail on.
I figured my hitch on my ranger would be too high, but leveling my boat trailer the boat hitch is only 1 inch lower than my ranger.
Too many variables.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a Weigh Safe 8" adjustment hitch to be able to deal with different trailer heights/loads. I did go with the steel version as I didn't like some of thet wear I've seen on reviews with the aluminum.

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercab 4x2
Level the trailer.
Measure to the bottom of the coupler.
Place your straight ball in your receiver tube.
Place the trailer weight on the ball.
Measure to the top of your receiver tube.
Subtract the coupler height from the receiver tube height and you'll know what drop should get the trailer level.

A load or weight in the bed will drop the trailer a little below level, so a little less drop than what you measure is probably the right amount.
Sponsored