Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Field tech
Hey all,

This is a little write up I figured I would do if anyone was like me and annoyed that the driver's side windshield sprayer would hit the wiper arm and not go onto the windshield before the wiper made its pass. In discussing with an engineer relative of mine. I decided to "persuade" or bend the driver's side wiper arm where the thicker sides meet the skinny part of the arm. It is not much but just a good little movement with the arm and now the driver's side sprayer goes onto the windshield before the wiper arm moves and it makes me that much happier. I can try and post follow up pics or a quick video on what I am talking about so that others understand a bit better.

Thanks for reading!
Matt & Ranger-Reptar
Sponsored

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
I am not sure if this applies to the Ranger, but some washer jets are adjustable by inserting a paper clip in the jet and moving the jet up, down, or side to side. I can't find information if our Rangers have an adjustable washer jet.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Not sure of a couple of things here.

First off why is this a problem? If you hit the spray the wipers move as well. They work in tandem.

Second off, why bend the metal wiper arm if you want to "fix" this. Why not just aim the nozzle where you want? Even if you have to move the nozzle due to our under hood placement that seems like it would be a much less obtrusive and easily reversible manner.

Got any pics of this modification?

OP
OP

Ranger_Reptar20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Field tech
I am not sure if this applies to the Ranger, but some washer jets are adjustable by inserting a paper clip in the jet and moving the jet up, down, or side to side. I can't find information if our Rangers have an adjustable washer jet.
The 2020 Ranger washer jets are not adjustable after just checking.

OP
OP

Ranger_Reptar20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Field tech
Not sure of a couple of things here.

First off why is this a problem? If you hit the spray the wipers move as well. They work in tandem.

Second off, why bend the metal wiper arm if you want to "fix" this. Why not just aim the nozzle where you want? Even if you have to move the nozzle due to our under hood placement that seems like it would be a much less obtrusive and easily reversible manner.

Got any pics of this modification?
They do move in tandem but if you notice the spray starts a split second before the wiper moves and in my case none of the fluid was hitting the windshield before the wiper moved thus having the wiper blade smear whatever crap that got on the windshield that caused me to hit the sprayer in the first place.

After checking the nozzle, it does not move and is clipped in place in a plastic piece which did not give a lot. It would also be just as easy to push the arm back down slightly. I did not change anything with the angle or pressure it's applying to the windshield as it still performs the same and I don't see any missed spots on the windshield as the blade passes. I will try to post pictures or a short video later!

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
Had this issue after a recent windshield replacement...my second...ouch! Noticed that this issue was happening so went to find my wiper puller, of course I was not able to find it at that time.

Fortunately these wipers are not press fit so after loosening the bolt its easy to realign the wiper.
I suggest two people do this since tightening the bolt moves the wiper up. I went back up to the shop and had the shop owner help me, I imagine they razzed the tech the next day.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
And half of my washer fluid lands on the roof.
Would much rather have it hitting the wiper arm.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Honestly, this is something I never noticed nor would have. I just turn on the sprayer and bye, bye go the bugs and dirt.