RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if this is the best forum for this question, but since I will be towing a U Haul trailer in a couple weeks, I thought I'd put it here.

How do you downshift so you can let the engine/transmission do some of the braking when you are doing a long downhill? Do you just lock out the upper gears until you get the one where it is braking? I can't see any other way to do it. Maybe I've missed something.

Thanks
Sponsored

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Do you just lock out the upper gears until you get the one where it is braking?
Yes, that works. Or if you use Tow/Haul mode, it will do it on a more automatic basis. Doesn't usually kick in until you start braking.

OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, that works. Or if you use Tow/Haul mode, it will do it on a more automatic basis. Doesn't usually kick in until you start braking.
I had not thought of tow/haul mode changing that behavior. I will see what happens when I tow it. Thanks for the info.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
I had not thought of tow/haul mode changing that behavior. I will see what happens when I tow it. Thanks for the info.
From the Owner's Manual:
The tow mode feature:
• Moves upshifts to higher engine speeds
to reduce the frequency of
transmission shifting.
• Provides engine braking in all forward
gears, which slows your vehicle and
assists you in controlling your vehicle
when descending a slope.
• Depending on driving conditions and
load conditions, may downshift the
transmission, slow your vehicle and
control your vehicle speed when
descending a hill, without pressing the
accelerator pedal. The amount of
downshift braking provided varies
based upon the amount you press the
brake pedal.

OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
From the Owner's Manual:
The tow mode feature:
• Moves upshifts to higher engine speeds
to reduce the frequency of
transmission shifting.
• Provides engine braking in all forward
gears, which slows your vehicle and
assists you in controlling your vehicle
when descending a slope.
• Depending on driving conditions and
load conditions, may downshift the
transmission, slow your vehicle and
control your vehicle speed when
descending a hill, without pressing the
accelerator pedal. The amount of
downshift braking provided varies
based upon the amount you press the
brake pedal.
Thanks for the quote. I should have thought about the tow mode. Looks like it is all covered. The only reason I ask is because we will be descending long hills with the trailer. It won't be a big load, but it will be the first time towing anything with the Ranger. Just wanted to try and be prepared. Taking some stuff up to our daughters place - about 300 miles away.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
What if you are not towing or hauling but wish to control downhill speeds without riding the brakes? Would tow-haul work or would you move to sport mode and select gearing to help control the speed you wish to maintain? I admit I have very little experience towing/hauling and typically used the transmission to help manage downhill speeds in the mountains, in previous vehicles.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
What if you are not towing or hauling but wish to control downhill speeds without riding the brakes? Would tow-haul work or would you move to sport mode and select gearing to help control the speed you wish to maintain? I admit I have very little experience towing/hauling and typically used the transmission to help manage downhill speeds in the mountains, in previous vehicles.
Sport or drive-mode lockout would be best for this in my opinion.

Deleted member 1634

I've towed plenty already with mine, including a U-haul trailer two separate weekends, and Tow/Haul mode works wonderfully. Helps with accelerating. And really helps downshifting when slowing/stopping or going downhill. It's very effective when pulling up to a quick changing stoplight, each time it downshifts it slows greatly. And with the cruise on, it'll even downshift going down a steep hill on the highway if the speed starts to creep up.

As for downshifting while not towing. I've done that as well. Did some mountain roads in Sport/Select mode and that worked well. I've also done the lockout in Drive at higher speeds and that works well too.

Either way, nothing to complain about, it tows magnificently!

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
My experience is the little eng. does not provide the back pressure that a bigger eng does. You can use the buttons on the shift lever to downshift and you might have to touch the brakes sometimes to slow for a curve. Remember to slow for the curve before you are in it. Do you need a thrill ride try the million dollar highway from Durango to Ouray CO pulling a trailer.

ExChief45

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chrysler Concorde
Occupation
Gas System Operations - Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Adaptive cruise control works great for this as well.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Adaptive cruise control works great for this as well.
There's a "warning" from Ford not to use Adaptive Cruise when towing a trailer that has brakes. No idea why, but it's probably for a reason.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
There's a "warning" from Ford not to use Adaptive Cruise when towing a trailer that has brakes. No idea why, but it's probably for a reason.
It is because if the truck engine brakes (down shift) the trailer brakes will NOT apply (brake controller detects brake light switch). This could lead to big problems (sway or even jack knife).

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It is because if the truck engine brakes (down shift) the trailer brakes will NOT apply (brake controller detects brake light switch). This could lead to big problems (sway or even jack knife).
I don't think that's it, because there isn't a warning not to take your foot off the gas and downshift without hitting the brakes, only a warning about adaptive cruise. I think it's more likely that the truck brakes might overheat if they're used by adaptive cruise without the trailer brakes activating. Just a guess since the line in the manual isn't very clear. Also wouldn't be the first time they copy and pasted something into the manual which didn't apply, so who knows.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Today I was driving on a major US highway (non interstate). It was in a hilly area. Speed control was set at the speed limit of 65 MPH. Transmission in normal "D" position. No trailer so not in trailer mode.
Going down a relatively steep downgrade, the transmission shifted from 10th to 9th. This was the first time I had that happen with the normal cruse control with the Ranger. My Taurus does it all the time so I had been expecting it to happen.
This is a good reason NOT to use any cruse control while towing a trailer with electric brakes, especially in hilly areas.
Sponsored