First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Curious...on a recent trip with our travel trailer, running east on I-64 from Staunton Va to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel, the nav system programed a route that took us thru Richmond, the shortest route. However we decided to run the I-295 bypass to avoid the city traffic, and the nav system re-calculated the route with no problem.
But, on the return trip, again via I-64 westbound, the nav system automatically programed the route using the I-295 bypass, and we did not alter the programming or instructions.
Wondering if my nav system has a "HAL" imbedded in it !

images.jpg

Sponsored

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I don't know how it is with the built in NAV (I don't have it), but with AA you can choose route parameters - shortest, fastest, most economical. You can also select to avoid construction and high traffic areas.

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It accesses "real-time" traffic info and selects the fastest route for that moment in time.
That's nice to know. I didn't realize it automatically picks up traffic info. Have used the system for our camping trips, 3 so far, and it's spot on as far as directions and graphics.
Light years ahead of the system in our old 2012 Ford based class c motor home.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
I really depends if you are using the built in nav or through your phone. I know apple and Google definitely learn about you so there is that. Explains those ads on my phone.... ?

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
are you using android auto or carplay? (plug your phone in) then yes google updates your routes accordingly adding previous history to the mix. however bet route for traffic is also considered.

We take a lot of back country NH roads and the routes get a bit silly sometimes. but once you drive a route often enough they do learn. the hard part is forcing it to unlearn.

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I really depends if you are using the built in nav or through your phone. I know apple and Google definitely learn about you so there is that. Explains those ads on my phone.... ?
Wife has the nav set up on her phone, and when we travel she also has her I-Pad, also with the nav info. They are all pretty much right on as far as correct info. My query was directed toward the fact that on a return trip it picked up the route I wanted to take rather than the "quickest by mileage" as if it had "learned"

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
I have an android and I swear it learns my driving habits. The highway is 5 minutes or less from my house but it will offer the side road I always take in the morning to avoid traffic. Even if it is longer and slower. My phone now knows I hate traffic.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Wife has the nav set up on her phone, and when we travel she also has her I-Pad, also with the nav info. They are all pretty much right on as far as correct info. My query was directed toward the fact that on a return trip it picked up the route I wanted to take rather than the "quickest by mileage" as if it had "learned"
If you're using your wife's phone, it then depends on the app you're using. All will account for traffic and accidents, some are now defaulting to the most fuel efficient so be aware of that if time matters.

Regarding the native navigation built into the truck, if you are subscribing to Sirius, it accounts for traffic and will give weather alerts. If you're not subscribed, by default it's just based old school " here's the quickest route" based on surface speeds of the highway/road. You can change that to avoid tolls, highways, etc, but the native navigation only re-routes for traffic if you subscribe.

One of the built-in features I am surprised I like so much is the breadcrumbs; it will show the last route you took so can find your way out of an area you explored without having to set another destination.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Regarding the native navigation built into the truck, if you are subscribing to Sirius, it accounts for traffic and will give weather alerts. If you're not subscribed, by default it's just based old school " here's the quickest route" based on surface speeds of the highway/road. You can change that to avoid tolls, highways, etc, but the native navigation only re-routes for traffic if you subscribe.
FWIW, when you get the factory nav it comes with SirusXM Travel Link for 5 years regardless of whether you have SirusXM radio. I find Travel Link to be much more accurate for road congestion, construction, etc than Google Maps.

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I can guarantee you that if it learns or not, it's significantly better than the navigation in Nissans. Had a 2020 Nissan Armada as a rental and it kept routing us a direction that would add 2 hours to the trip.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, when you get the factory nav it comes with SirusXM Travel Link for 5 years regardless of whether you have SirusXM radio. I find Travel Link to be much more accurate for road congestion, construction, etc than Google Maps.
You lose it when the subscription runs out, at least my 2021 did. I add to subscribe to get it back. I think the deal I ended up getting is like $4 a month.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
i lost my travel link when the sirius free trial was over.
i wished it was for 5 years. thats the only feature i would keep.
otherwise i dont use sirius
Same here. Although I was able to get it all back for like $4 a month by haggling with their chat support.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
i may try it. my haggling skills are weak though
one of the killers is any 400 series highway in ontario.
daily wrecks back up the traffic so fast, and with options for back routes available, you have to see the problem before you're too deep into it. if you can, you can bypass it with luck on your side.
Yeah, I've found that I pay more attention to the traffic alerts via Sync than I do when I use Android Auto/Google Maps. I do loathe the weather alerts though. I turn them off but they somehow turn back on.
Sponsored