Does anyone camp/overland in the DMV area?

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
I am fairly new to the area and trying to get back into camping and possibly even into overlanding and think it would be a lot of fun to go with a group of people. Does anyone on here do something similar or know who does? Or even just know some cool areas I could go explore? Thanks!
Sponsored

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
WV and Virginia have a massive amount of spots to check out. Delaware and Maryland don’t have much I find interesting.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Yeah. Our department of motor vehicles makes for a long day visit every year when it comes to vehicle registration. Might not be a bad idea to overland in the parking lot.

Turborave

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Vehicle Showcase
i camp a few times a year with my boys( kids, not friends :D), we have campground near our house in montgomery co, and i have a friend with land down by lake anna that we use a couple times a year. no overlanding, just hauling all the gear to the spots, tents, camp kitchen, etc.

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
I plan on doing some once the weather clears up either solo or with friends. Going to Peter's Mill Run later this month with some buddies from work (hopefully) and should be fun.

OP
OP
the5Gmartian

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
U.S. Navy
i camp a few times a year with my boys( kids, not friends :D), we have campground near our house in montgomery co, and i have a friend with land down by lake anna that we use a couple times a year. no overlanding, just hauling all the gear to the spots, tents, camp kitchen, etc.
Is there any camping spots near the lake that you know of? For general public I mean.

OP
OP
the5Gmartian

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
U.S. Navy
I plan on doing some once the weather clears up either solo or with friends. Going to Peter's Mill Run later this month with some buddies from work (hopefully) and should be fun.
I just googled it and it looks pretty awesome. How are the trails there? If I do go somewhere like that I still want to keep my truck in one piece as its my DD lol

OP
OP
the5Gmartian

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
U.S. Navy
I’ll drop a note here before I plan to check out the Skidmore Reservoir area, west of Harrisonburg. I’ll probably make it an overnight trip and camp somewhere by the lake.
Switzer Lake? I googled it and thats what came up. That would be a great camping spot.

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
I just googled it and it looks pretty awesome. How are the trails there? If I do go somewhere like that I still want to keep my truck in one piece as its my DD lol

It’ll be my first time but my friends have been a few times. It’s supposedly not bad for fairly stock 4x4s. I think there’s a few different trials with varying degree of obstacles. There’s some nice YouTube videos guys have made that show the different trails

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger crew cab
Ton of approachable places in DMV. I tend to use the maryland parks and you and preselect your site. I have camped in a couple of the Virginia parks, but they're usually first come/first served on site selection. Just depends on what you're looking for. National Parks also have ton of options. (Shenandoah, Assateague, Wayne in Ohio, C&O canal) Western Maryland has a number of parks and wildlife areas that offers camping.
Sponsored