Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Housing Case Manager, Full-time student
Vehicle Showcase
Before seeing member's posts on rust, I had already considered adding chassis cleaning to my maintenance schedule. I have recently started using Super Clean (degreaser) cut to 4:1 (water : degreaser) to clean underneath, staying away from rubber as much as possible. Wash off, let dry and then I use INOX Mx3 to lubricate and protect metal. INOX Mx3 is similar to WD-40, but it is non-petroleum-based. Both have roughly the same protection properties. With INOX you can spray it on electronics and harnesses to dissipate moisture (not sure with WD-40). I finish the underside off with silicone spray to the rubber bits. I'm just curious if anyone else has a bottom-up/top-down detailing or cleaning procedure.

This guy goes hard in the paint:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hank the Tank

Hank the Tank

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here in New England, nearly every drive-through car wash has an undercarriage spray function. I use it every wash.
Road salt scares me, hahaha. Coming from California and then being stationed in Washington, I had never given it much thought. That mindset changed when I decided to buy a new truck.
Bought a water broom to go on the pressure washer for the undercarriage and it has been a game changer
RYOBI Pressure Washer Water Broom-RY31211 - The Home Depot
Noice. I'm looking at a cheap pressure washer and this would be perfect.

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
I use INOX Mx3 to lubricate and protect metal. INOX Mx3 is similar to WD-40, but it is non-petroleum-based. Both have roughly the same protection properties. With INOX you can spray it on electronics and harnesses to dissipate moisture (not sure with WD-40). I finish the underside off with silicone spray to the rubber bits. I'm just curious if anyone else has a bottom-up/top-down detailing or cleaning procedure.
interesting in that the manufacturer recommends LANOX MX4 for the chassis. Have you tried that? Not sure what the difference is.

Automotive - Inox Lubricants (inoxmx.com)

"Chassis:
Use INOX MX8 grease for all grease nipple points. Underside of 4WD’s and work vehicles for protection from seawater and salt spray, LANOX MX4 grease and LANOX MX4 liquid lubricant."

OP
OP
Hank the Tank

Hank the Tank

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
interesting in that the manufacturer recommends LANOX MX4 for the chassis. Have you tried that? Not sure what the difference is.

Automotive - Inox Lubricants (inoxmx.com)

"Chassis:
Use INOX MX8 grease for all grease nipple points. Underside of 4WD’s and work vehicles for protection from seawater and salt spray, LANOX MX4 grease and LANOX MX4 liquid lubricant."
I used Fluid Film for the frame initially, in the winter. It is lanolin-based like the LANOX MX4. I don't need that much protection in the PNW, but I want to be pro-active. The MX3 is more for touch ups and throughout the spring/summer. I use the MX3 on my engine bay too after cleaning because its designed for use on electronics (non-conductive). MX3 (or WD-40) makes spraying off the crud much easier when it comes time to wash again.

I do want to try MX4, but Fluid Film is available everywhere, and MX4 would most likely need to be ordered. I had a hard time finding MX3 until I noticed that Ace Hardware stocks it; so I bought several of the big cans.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Ziebart and fugghedaboutit.
Sponsored