Do all Rangers come with skid plates?

Dutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
IT
I have a 2019 Lariat that I got with 22k miles and it needed an oil change. Told the wife to take it to Ford, she took it to Take 5 instead.

I didn’t check if it had one before the oil change was done but there isn’t one there now. Just want to make sure it was supposed to go begin with.
Sponsored

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on the package (not trim level).

Dairychuk

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger
I have a 2021 lariat and it comes with a very small skid plate just past the air dam.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
FX4's have full skidplates for the fuel tank and transfer case, assuming you have a 4x4.
Other 4x4 Rangers (non-FX4 like mine) have a smaller triangular skidplate between the engine crossmember and radiator support. You have to remove it to get to the oil drain plug. You have to remove the two rear bolts and only loosen the two front bolts because the skidplate is slotted there and it will slide out.
I don't know if 4x2 Rangers have a skidplate or not.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I have a 2019 Lariat that I got with 22k miles and it needed an oil change. Told the wife to take it to Ford, she took it to Take 5 instead.

I didn’t check if it had one before the oil change was done but there isn’t one there now. Just want to make sure it was supposed to go begin with.
Technically yes all Rangers come with skid plates from the factory. Depending on the sub model and packages added to the truck will depend on what skip dplates you get. For examle my 2019 XLT Sport had the basic front bash plate, a steering rack bash plate and a plastic plate for the fuel tank. I added the transfercase skid plate and swapped the front out for the FX4 skid plate.

2WD Rangers I believe(not counting the FX2) dont get the steering rack and fuel tank skid plates.

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
Technically yes all Rangers come with skid plates from the factory. Depending on the sub model and packages added to the truck will depend on what skip dplates you get. For examle my 2019 XLT Sport had the basic front bash plate, a steering rack bash plate and a plastic plate for the fuel tank. I added the transfercase skid plate and swapped the front out for the FX4 skid plate.

2WD Rangers I believe(not counting the FX2) dont get the steering rack and fuel tank skid plates.
So do you have to remove the current little black front skid plate to install the fx4 version ? Just noticed today mine actually has a little skid plate behind the air dam. In the future I may want to add the fx4 skid plate.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So do you have to remove the current little black front skid plate to install the fx4 version ? Just noticed today mine actually has a little skid plate behind the air dam. In the future I may want to add the fx4 skid plate.
That ans the air dam. Both have to come off. Small chore but not too bad