DIY Mobile Hotspot

Ed Venture

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I didn't want to pay a monthly fee to use the on-board access point since I have a Google Fi account that lets me get a sim card for a hot-spot for free and use it against my unlimited plan. I bought this router and this antenna and set it up with my Fi account.

Here is the router behind the seat:
Cell Bridge installed.jpg

It supports dual antennas:

Cell Bridge installed back.jpg

Antenna installation:
antenna installed 2.jpg

Fed around the center brake light, in the rear window channel and then down the seams for the cab. I used a small bead of butyl rubber around the top of the center brake light housing and a small dab on each side of the back of the cab to old the wire down:

antenna installed 3.jpg

Once behind the cab, I fished each of the two antenna cables in though the vents behind the back seat. Pulled a power line; hooked it up and it works like a champ!
Sponsored

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport SuperCrew 2wd
I just turn my phone's hot spot feature on ?‍♂

I also have google FI as well. I just mainly turn my hotspot on when my son wants to watch his tablet in the backseat. Works for me and I didn't have to install anything.

OP
OP

Ed Venture

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I just turn my phone's hot spot feature on ?‍♂

I also have google FI as well. I just mainly turn my hotspot on when my son wants to watch his tablet in the backseat. Works for me and I didn't have to install anything.
Yup. That works too. Having a data only SIM assigned to the on-board hotspot lets me divvy up 22GB per person before throttling not to mention I don't have to worry about turning it on or off. It just works and cost me no more than 3 months of paying for the built in service. Not to mention the external antenna gives me a bit more range in the rural areas.
Sponsored