Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got around to doing something with the Note 9. Since I have a rugged case on my phone, most of the cheap wireless chargers either don't keep a good connection thru the case and or they do not fast charge, I waited until now to make this so I could do it right the first time and be done. Constantly plugging in a cord always leads to breakdowns internally.

Bought the wireless Qi charger with 3 coils on Amazon, 2 in the house and one in each vehicle. Fast charge, stays connected, and neither the phone nor charger gets hot. - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D2CWBS...abc_R72H8Y299GWDPA208AZW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I bought Kydex and the rest of the parts on eBay, the foam I bought locally. I drew out the pattern on graph paper then used some trim coil stock to make a model. I had 2 choices either have a hole in the back of the phone holder and have the charger on the back or make the holder thicker and recess the charger in the foam. That was easier since I do not have a vacuum press for Kydex. I bought the Proclip dash mount -
"2019 Ford Ranger | ProClip USA" https://www.proclipusa.com/vehicle/dashboard-mounts/9976-ford-ranger/2019
I then test fit it and then trimmed the top right corner off to move it further to the passenger side. Doesn't interfere with the touch screen, vent, or radio, I can easily see and reach everything and the tuning knob which is only used to dial in an HD station is one click away. I then attached a small swivel mount to the clip. I used rivets since screw heads would interfere with the charger fitment, the other side of the swivel has 2 small machine screws and nuts. I used thin Kydex so I could bend it easily. I drilled a hole in the Kydex mount for access to the adjustment screw. I used a thin piece of double-sided tape (no foam more like carpet tape) to keep the charger in place when the phones not in the holder and avoids rattles. I also shaved off the 4 BB sized rubber feet off the bottom of the charger, they stick.up less than 1/8" I wanted it sitting flat in the holder plus I don't need the feet how it's mounted. Just used a razor blade.

I tried using kraft foam and spray adhesive (contact cement) but #1- it's messy #2 -I needed 2 thickness' of foam so I opted for 1/4" and 1/8" black foam with adhesive backing. Otherwise the parts are too small to handle with sticky spray on it.

The phone stays put, out of my field of view while driving, doesn't vibrate, it's pinched in slightly goes in from the top but doesn't touch or affect the touch screen and it frees up a cup holder. I am using a high-speed charging 1-foot long cord I had around here but I am ordering another one that has the 90' angled USB plug at the power source, makes a neater appearance and I will be able to secure the cable out of the way.

Screenshot_20210203-192235_Google.jpg

20210203_172406.jpg

IMG_20210203_185640.jpg

IMG_20210203_185633.jpg

IMG_20210203_185626.jpg

IMG_20210203_185615.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: