First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
Has anyone put in a block heater themselves and have recommendations? didn't get one from factory was looking to add block heater and oil/transmission heaters.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone put in a block heater themselves and have recommendations? didn't get one from factory was looking to add block heater and oil/transmission heaters.
Hi Jake,

There is a thread or two on this subject. A search might help to find the threads. As I recall the OEM block heater is doable but not super easy....It is tight in the engine bay... No idea on oil or trans heaters...

I do not think you live in a climate where any of this is really necessary but it is your choice. Live way up North...then it might be of help for your Ranger...

Good Luck,
Phil

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you’re moving to the UP, Montana or Alaska, I wouldn’t be too concerned about those items, even if parking outside.

I’ve lived in some cold places here in Canada and only ever really needed a block heater in Calgary, Alberta - my Roadrunner’s big V8 hated the cold as much as I did and needed all the help it could get.

If you’re staying in NC, you should be fine. If you DIY the install, take pics and post so others can learn. Good luck!

OP
OP

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
Hi Jake,

There is a thread or two on this subject. A search might help to find the threads. As I recall the OEM block heater is doable but not super easy....It is tight in the engine bay... No idea on oil or trans heaters...

I do not think you live in a climate where any of this is really necessary but it is your choice. Live way up North...then it might be of help for your Ranger...

Good Luck,
Phil
Currently in fairbanks and last night was -40F I'd say needed for sure. The standard practice around here is attaching the heating pads to the oil and trans, but the engine is different depending in the engine if course. Wasn't much online if anything at all regarding the rangers engine and a block heater.

TopoRanger

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Mechanic
Reviving this thread! The other night it got to -30s in Montana. I have been researching some heaters for the engine but I wouldn’t mind trying to find something for the transmission too, if there is such a thing. Newbie to the subzero stuff haha

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Reviving this thread! The other night it got to -30s in Montana. I have been researching some heaters for the engine but I wouldn’t mind trying to find something for the transmission too, if there is such a thing. Newbie to the subzero stuff haha
Even though it does get real cold there in Montana on a regular Winter basis every year I think you would be ok with just the engine block heater. Thankfully with an Automatic Transmission they don't become as effected by the cold like a Manual Transmission.

If there is room I would also consider one of the hose heaters if the upper or lower radiator hose allows the room and there is no thermostat by it

TopoRanger

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Mechanic
Even though it does get real cold there in Montana on a regular Winter basis every year I think you would be ok with just the engine block heater. Thankfully with an Automatic Transmission they don't become as effected by the cold like a Manual Transmission.

If there is room I would also consider one of the hose heaters if the upper or lower radiator hose allows the room and there is no thermostat by it
I’ll definitely keep that in mind! Thanks bud
Sponsored