Disconnecting the TCU?

daph

First Name
dp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab
Hey all, just got my new ranger and love it, but I don't love fordpass. I don't really see the app being useful nor do I care to use the wifi hotspot the truck provides. I also don't believe that vehicles should be connected to the internet like this (who remembers that remote jeep hack) and don't really want it phoning home to Ford (seems like APIM updates can periodically be sent to ford without your express permission). So I'm looking at disconnecting the thing.

I've found various posts that detail where the modem is and how to get to it (looks like you just have to drop the glove box), but I'm wondering if anyone has tried disconnecting it and leaving it that way and if they've experienced issues with that.
Sponsored

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
If you tamper with it in any way ford execs will storm your house in tactical gear and kill ur dog.

If you aren't ever planning on using it I totally understand the want to disable it, but it does give a pretty good pinpoint of your trucks location should it ever wind up stolen. I'm sure cars that get chopped today have the batteries removed rather fast for that exact reason.

Could nick a wire in a way that it loses its power but could be reconnected if you ever change your mind. Or find out what fuse it runs off of if it's got its own. There's service manuals pretty easy to find on the forum.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I understand what you are saying but I would suggest not disconnecting it. A pain yes but if you dont use the hot spot or ford pass then it is ok. No ford won't send any updates to your truck with it as it can't update sync unless you are connected to you internet at home or go to the dealership to have it updated. Other than that you should be fine. Also if not mistaken I do believe that the TCU might also be the transponder/antenna for the key fobs(some correct me if I'm wrong here). Just things to be aware of.

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
So over on the Mustang 6G forum a GT350 owner figured out which fuse to pull to disable the 4G modem. There's a 5 page discussion (so far).

Link - https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/4g-modem-disabling-instructions.146860/

In a Mustang it's fuse #10 in the passenger compartment fuse box and it's a 5A fuse labelled "Telematics". Those that have pulled the fuse don't seem to have any side effects at all.

Looking at the Ranger manual it's fuse #9 and it's 10A.

Probably worth a try and if there's no side effects it's way easier than trying to remove the modem or disconnect it.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
The truth is, it doesn't matter what you end up doing. These days, every cellphone, smart or not, keeps track of where you go. And, I suspect the NSA is listening in too.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The truth is, it doesn't matter what you end up doing. These days, every cellphone, smart or not, keeps track of where you go. And, I suspect the NSA is listening in too.
Yep Im over it.
Go ahead watch/listen to what I am doing, atleast I won't be the one getting annoyed. :LOL:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
So over on the Mustang 6G forum a GT350 owner figured out which fuse to pull to disable the 4G modem. There's a 5 page discussion (so far).

Link - https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/4g-modem-disabling-instructions.146860/

In a Mustang it's fuse #10 in the passenger compartment fuse box and it's a 5A fuse labelled "Telematics". Those that have pulled the fuse don't seem to have any side effects at all.

Looking at the Ranger manual it's fuse #9 and it's 10A.

Probably worth a try and if there's no side effects it's way easier than trying to remove the modem or disconnect it.
Seems easy enough... has anybody tried this?

And if you did, how did you confirm that pulling the fuse actually does anything at all?

2019 Ranger Owners Manual Page 15 - Telematics.jpg

2019 Ranger Owners Manual Page 252 - Fuses.jpg

Last edited:

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Seems easy enough... has anybody tried this?

And if you did, how did you confirm that pulling the fuse actually does anything at all?

2019 Ranger Owners Manual Page 15 - Telematics.jpg

2019 Ranger Owners Manual Page 252 - Fuses.jpg
I did and the Sync system told me that a damper was now installed.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
I did this, and i think it worked because a fault code appears (not visible on the dash) that communication with telematics is lost.

Unfortunately wifi is still On, and i can't figure out how to turn it Off.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I did this, and i think it worked because a fault code appears (not visible on the dash) that communication with telematics is lost.

Unfortunately wifi is still On, and i can't figure out how to turn it Off.
Thanks @jblc

Did you sign up for FordPass?

I recall reading that the modem is off unless you sign up for FordPass... because by agreeing to the FordPass terms, you by default agree to data sharing.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Thanks @jblc

Did you sign up for FordPass?

I recall reading that the modem is off unless you sign up for FordPass... because by agreeing to the FordPass terms, you by default agree to data sharing.
I did not sign up for FordPass (I don't plan to), specifically because of what you mentioned :) The privacy terms are broad and quite poor.
Sponsored