Disconnecting Sway Bar (Bronco Part)

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
So I’m thinking about buying the disconnecting sway bar that will be on the Bronco off road models when they are available.

The Bronco shares the same front suspension architecture and seeing an image of where the module is mounted it looks like it will fit without any issues until I can get hands on.

To power it I'm assuming it’s a 12v system with a set of dry contacts for the open/closed state. Shouldn’t be hard to create my own controls. If it’s run off the CANBus system then it’s not going to work.

It’s wishful thinking, but not tangible yet.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Even if it runs off canbus, you can still make it go. I highly doubt it’s own controlled, so that leaves on/off which is easy to reproduce with a switch and a relay.
Keep us posted when it comes out.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
So I’m thinking about buying the disconnecting sway bar that will be on the Bronco off road models when they are available.

The Bronco shares the same front suspension architecture and seeing an image of where the module is mounted it looks like it will fit without any issues until I can get hands on.

To power it I'm assuming it’s a 12v system with a set of dry contacts for the open/closed state. Shouldn’t be hard to create my own controls. If it’s run off the CANBus system then it’s not going to work.

It’s wishful thinking, but not tangible yet.
Yeah, it shouldn't be difficult to bolt in and making controls for it. Would def be cool. Only thing I would be concerned about is the range of motion of the driveshafts. Even if Bronco and Ranger share similar subframe architectures, I wouldn't be surprised if Bronco has slight changes for better geometry and more durability. I'm sure the Bronco driveshafts have been verified for full sway bar disconnected, the Ranger's is not necessarily the case.

Deleted member 1634

Also, I've been of the understanding the Bronco is being built on the new Ranger (6g 2022/23+) platform, not the current Ranger (5g) platform. I'm not sure how different they'll be. I'm also not sure that is true since I haven't found anything anywhere that explicitly says either way, just hearsay in the media.

OP
OP
Andy

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It could be a complete waste of time if they do in fact change the geometry of the front end. I won’t know till I can measure a unit in person. Exciting to think it could work though!

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
It could be a complete waste of time if they do in fact change the geometry of the front end. I won’t know till I can measure a unit in person. Exciting to think it could work though!
The more expensive but probably easier option would be to just buy a whole new Bronco :giggle:

I'm seriously going to have to restrain myself when it comes out bc losing all that depreciation would be pretty tough haha

OP
OP
Andy

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The more expensive but probably easier option would be to just buy a whole new Bronco :giggle:

I'm seriously going to have to restrain myself when it comes out bc losing all that depreciation would be pretty tough haha
I’ve thrown the idea around too, haha. I would really miss the bed space for gear. My plan is to wait for the new gen of f150 raptor and see what changes. If I like it then I’ll trade in if not I’ll see how the new Ranger looks on paper.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I’ve thrown the idea around too, haha. I would really miss the bed space for gear. My plan is to wait for the new gen of f150 raptor and see what changes. If I like it then I’ll trade in if not I’ll see how the new Ranger looks on paper.
The Ranger is my first truck, and I actually find myself missing enclosed lockable storage more than being relieved that I have an open bed. That being said, throwing dirty stuff in the back and not having to worry about getting your carpet muddy is a huge plus. I just need to get a bed cover to solve most of my issues haha.

OP
OP
Andy

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Ranger is my first truck, and I actually find myself missing enclosed lockable storage more than being relieved that I have an open bed. That being said, throwing dirty stuff in the back and not having to worry about getting your carpet muddy is a huge plus. I just need to get a bed cover to solve most of my issues haha.
I suppose I’ve made my truck more of a Ute now hah. First thing I did was put a diamondback cover on to keep the snow and people out of the bed. I’d really miss brining my fridge, chainsaw, grill, table, and all the other goodies that wouldn’t fit in the bronco.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
That is why I got my easily removable tonneau cover. Most of the time, the secured storage area is really nice, but when I want to load up the bed, it takes like a minute to take it completely off.

Having the bed is nice, but having mostly dry, lockable storage for the majority of the time is kind of the best of both worlds.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That is why I got my easily removable tonneau cover. Most of the time, the secured storage area is really nice, but when I want to load up the bed, it takes like a minute to take it completely off.

Having the bed is nice, but having mostly dry, lockable storage for the majority of the time is kind of the best of both worlds.
Hi Rob,

On your tailgate sealing. Did you do the cut and paste that Extang recommends for the Ranger?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rob,

On your tailgate sealing. Did you do the cut and paste that Extang recommends for the Ranger?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hmm.. To be honest, I'm not sure. I did buy a tailgate seal though. It helped a lot with dust thru the tailgate gaps. I installed it over a year ago, so I don't quite remember all I did.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer

Thanks for the tip Rob, what tonneau cover did you get?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the tip Rob, what tonneau cover did you get?
I got an Extang Solid Fold 2.0. I like how it is very easy and quick to remove. Some of the other tri fold covers you have to get a wrench. With the solid fold it is just a wing nut. It isn't 100% waterproof, but it does very well and the amount of water that gets in is very little. I never expected it to be waterproof. I've been very happy with it.
Sponsored