Retired

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
I always wondered about this, mine definitely does not sound like the first one, sounds like something with exhaust mods... I have a Lariat B&O

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I have the B&O system and it doesn't sound like the first or second clip. It's somewhere in between the two, but only when I have the K&N drop in filter installed.

I have a Hyundai Sante Fe 2.0T and the primary sound I am waiting to hear is when the engine throws a rod as hundreds of thousands have done. Driven 4 cylinder turbos since 1986 and completely agree that the Ranger sound is not natural for a 4 cylinder. But I kind of like it.

Not looking forward to that sound if it happens on my wife's Sante Fe 2.0T. At least Hyundai has settled the class action lawsuit and are extending the warranty for the engine to the life of the vehicle, and are also supposed to cover any rental charges incurred while in for repair. Of course this is provided the latest knock sensor update has been performed so the vehicle will be in compliance.

On a separate note, you'd be surprised at how throaty a turbo 4 cylinder can sound. My old Mk IV VW GTI had a very impressive growl to its intake. It sounded a lot like a large V6. So much so that people often mistook it for one. I always suspected this was due to it being a 20 valve head design (3 intake and 2 exhaust ) with variable valve timing, and log style intake manifold.

Last edited:

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Yes I have B&O system.
I always wondered about this, mine definitely does not sound like the first one, sounds like something with exhaust mods... I have a Lariat B&O
I am picking up a "new" (head office demo) 2019 Lariat 501A on Friday so I'll be able to add my findings as to whether or not the B&O system adds the fake engine noise. I've only test driven a 2020 XLT which I would say definitely had the fake engine noise (which I don't think is a bad thing).

Also @Porpoise Hork I love the Futurama reference that is your name and pic :D

Last edited:

Hirnlego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 302A
The fist clip sounds like a bullfrog; where as, the second clip sounds like a vehicle accelerating. The second clips sounds better, only my opinion, but why enhance it when it actually does not sound bad. Wasted engineer time! Could have been better used on fixing issues with Sync 3.4. :)

The consensuses seems that Lariats with B&O systems do not have the sound, yet XLTs are experiencing the sound? Will have to check mine.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
The fist clip sounds like a bullfrog; where as, the second clip sounds like a vehicle accelerating. The second clips sounds better, only my opinion, but why enhance it when it actually does not sound bad. Wasted engineer time! Could have been better used on fixing issues with Sync 3.4. :)

The consensuses seems that Lariats with B&O systems do not have the sound, yet XLTs are experiencing the sound? Will have to check mine.
Makes me wonder one of the reasons they use the fake engine noise to hide some other undesirable sounds that might otherwise dampened in the Lariats.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I have the B&O system and it doesn't sound like the first or second clip. It's somewhere in between the two, but only when I have the K&N drop in filter installed.

Not looking forward to that sound if it happens on my wife's Sante Fe 2.0T. At least Hyundai has settled the class action lawsuit and are extending the warranty for the engine to the life of the vehicle, and are also supposed to cover any rental charges incurred while in for repair. Of course this is provided the latest knock sensor update has been performed so the vehicle will be in compliance.

On a separate note, you'd be surprised at how throaty a turbo 4 cylinder can sound. My old Mk IV VW GTI had a very impressive growl to its intake. It sounded a lot like a large V6. So much so that people often mistook it for one. I always suspected this was due to it being a 20 valve head design (3 intake and 2 exhaust ) with variable valve timing, and log style intake manifold.
I'm used to hearing the Japanese 4 cylinders with modified exhaust, aka ricers. Yes the Hyundai settlement seems fair, a lifetime warranty on the engine - actually I believe limited to crank bearing failure is a good thing to have.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
My last vehicle was a Focus ST which absolutely had the piped in engine noise. It was horrible and without a doubt noticeable! I had it turned off with a tune. I have a Lariat and I do not hear any engine sound piped in. My 2 cents!

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
My last vehicle was a Focus ST which absolutely had the piped in engine noise. It was horrible and without a doubt noticeable! I had it turned off with a tune. I have a Lariat and I do not hear any engine sound piped in. My 2 cents!
I thought the Focus ST's had a symposer on the intake tube?

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Picked up my Lariat 501A (B&O) today and I would say it still has the fake engine noise although slightly quieter. Just as deep, though. It's a 2019.. maybe they removed it on 2020?

Last edited:

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
As far as I am concerned EVERY 2019+ ranger has the fake engine noise. Just because people say they can't hear it doesn't mean its not there. It actually blends very well and is not an outrageously noticeable fake noise, which is why many claim it's not there.
The real issue comes in when an amp and sub is added to the system which makes the fake noise even louder.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
It comes on (subtle) when you're WOT...I don't mind it...

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
For all the nonbelievers out there. ?
Made two sound clips. Taped microphone to driver door speaker and did a WOT pull from a stop.
One is from factory, one is with fuse pulled (which disables all audio).
You make the call.

Edit: Just want to add, I did not do any funny business with the audio. This was purely for science.
Edit 2: I might make a couple more where I disable the factory digital sound processer and/or convert radio to variable lineouts. As others have said they don't hear the fake noise when they do that.
Edit 3: I just noticed today that I actually left the ANC disabled (changed A to 8) as mentioned in first post. I thought I changed back to stock, but I guess not. So anyway, this is with ANC disabled.

That's pretty good. if you ever wanted a totally clean representation of the fake engine noise, just splice into the speaker lead and record that without a mic picking up any external noise. When you do it that way it doesn't blend with natural engine noise and sounds shockingly artificial. I hear better engine noise from my Playstation.
Sponsored