Digital Fuel gauge reading wrong

Brad-Dallas

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor - Black
Yesterday filled my gas tank. When I started the vehicle, the digital fuel gauge didn’t go all the way to the top to full. I thought I had prematurely stopped. When I tried to put more gas in, it definitely was full.

I drove around the block and it stayed about an eighth of a tank below full. As I pulled into the driveway after about 5 miles, the digital gas gauge moved to the full position, and then tells me that at the full tank I would get 215 miles when normally it reads about 280.

I drove to work and back this morning, about 15 miles. When I got home, the gas gauge has not budged from full and says I have est 199 miles left in the tank.

I disconnected the battery to see if it might reset. It did reset the gas mileage estimate. Going to drive tomorrow and see if the gas gauge will move.

Anybody have a problem like this before? Maybe a fuel level sensor needs to be replaced? Looked at?
Sponsored

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Nope. Either I am getting ripped off by Shell or my mid point changes all the freaking time. However, when I am full - it shows full.

Might be a stuck lever arm if they have one. Not sure how hard it is to get at on these - warranty for sure.

pboggini

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XL Ranger 4x2 Supercrew.
I don't have a digital gauge I have the standard gauge and this has happened to me twice. The first time I figured it was that it just clicked of early but it was indeed full and it did take a while for the gauge to finally report full. The last time was me taking a 150 mile trip, fueling up 2/3 of the way there and then seeing the needle stop at 3/4. Since I new it was full I just kept driving and it slowly went up to the normal full.

Since it's only happened twice and it's only happened, oddly enough, when I've filled at a station where I normally don't I haven't put much thought into it. But, it does act like a float that is stuck and/or not reacting fast enough. It wasn't cold either time.

OP
OP
Brad-Dallas

Brad-Dallas

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor - Black
I don't have a digital gauge I have the standard gauge and this has happened to me twice. The first time I figured it was that it just clicked of early but it was indeed full and it did take a while for the gauge to finally report full. The last time was me taking a 150 mile trip, fueling up 2/3 of the way there and then seeing the needle stop at 3/4. Since I new it was full I just kept driving and it slowly went up to the normal full.

Since it's only happened twice and it's only happened, oddly enough, when I've filled at a station where I normally don't I haven't put much thought into it. But, it does act like a float that is stuck and/or not reacting fast enough. It wasn't cold either time.
I’m going to take a couple of trips back-and-forth to work and keep my fingers crossed that it starts to go down. I’m really not in the mood for a faulty, fuel sensor or float in my tank.
Sponsored