lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
When I purchased my truck, I thought 18" wheels would be the way to go. But reading lots of threads on the size of the wheels, 17" is very popular. Is there a reason? I am stupid when it comes to tires, usually I just go to Discount Tires and tell them I need new tires, but I want my truck to look good, and I really do not like the Hankook tires, what is the maximum size tire that I can add and not have to cut my crash bars? I have the Ford Performance/Fox 2.0 lift. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
Unless you plan to do quite a bit of off roading (taller sidewalls offer some protection to your wheels) I'd say wheel size is mostly a stylistic preference. I'm going down from 17 to 16, myself. You didn't make a mistake if you like the look of your 18s!

Also, 17 is the most popular size because most rangers come with 17s so getting new wheels can mean remounting the old tires. The cost savings is a big factor for a lot of people.

Last edited:

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
When I purchased my truck, I thought 18" wheels would be the way to go. But reading lots of threads on the size of the wheels, 17" is very popular. Is there a reason? I am stupid when it comes to tires, usually I just go to Discount Tires and tell them I need new tires, but I want my truck to look good, and I really do not like the Hankook tires, what is the maximum size tire that I can add and not have to cut my crash bars? I have the Ford Performance/Fox 2.0 lift. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Very simplistically:
More tire/smaller rim = a more plush ride but a bit less handling due to taller sidewall

Less tire/more rim = tad harsher ride but slightly better handling

In a truck many people won't be able to tell the difference. More tire does give you more off-road capability as mentioned above. Buy what suits your taste and driving style.

Use the search tool here on the forums, there's a thread on max tire size without modifications.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
The others are correct. My truck came with 17's and I am not changing the size. I go offroad a lot and 17 is about the optimum/biggest wheel for offroad and i personally believe the trucks look better with 17 inch wheels. Here is mine with Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 3's on 265/70-17.

0507201943_HDR.jpg

0507201943a.jpg

0509201455.jpg

0509201243.jpg

Deleted member 1634

I wanted the 17" sport wheels on mine, I thought they looked better. But the truck already had 18" on it and the dealer wasn't willing to swap. Took me a little while but they're growing on me. In the end it doesn't really matter. If you try hard enough you can find fault in any decision so best to just let little things like this go and enjoy the truck. Especially since you probably wouldn't have known this was an "issue" if it weren't for this forum. haha

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
Could be worse. My truck came with the 16 inch contractor wheels. I’m so glad I scored a set of 18 lariat wheels on the super cheap. I would venture a guess that the vast majority of owners rarely see a dirt road like me. So the 18s made perfect sense for a truck that will be on pavement 99% of the time.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
In my case, the 18-inch wheels came with the Black Appearance Package, which I loved on sight, and so the decision was purely aesthetic. You probably get a slightly better ride and slightly better mileage with the smaller wheels, but not enough to make a difference, in my humble opinion. So it all comes down to what you like....

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
It's all a matter of preference, for my rides... the more sidewall, the better. :like:

000_0042.jpg

0971999.jpg

100_4939_zps6ca6b220.jpg

img351.jpg

LF.jpg

img361.jpg

DSCF5815.JPG

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired
I was glancing at the 2019 Ranger sales brochure that I picked up when I ordered my truck and just happened to notice and thought it strange: The XL's came with 16' rims, the XLT's came with 17" rims and the Lariat's came with 18" rims as standard. I wonder why they did that?

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I was glancing at the 2019 Ranger sales brochure that I picked up when I ordered my truck and just happened to notice and thought it strange: The XL's came with 16' rims, the XLT's came with 17" rims and the Lariat's came with 18" rims as standard. I wonder why they did that?
Not really the case. Depends on 2 or 4 wheel drive. And packages.

My XL STX 4x4 came with 17's.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Not really the case. Depends on 2 or 4 wheel drive. And packages.

My XL STX 4x4 came with 17's.
I do agree with you to an extent. It more came down to the package. The sport package gives you 17's on both XL and XLT. Mt XLT would have had 16's if I didnt have the sport package

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase

Deleted member 1634

Because we've been told that the bigger the wheels the fancier you are. I don't believe that, especially because so many vehicles nowadays are going crazy with it.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
and the cost....a bigger wheel has a higher cost to manufacture, and the tire to put on it costs more too.
hence why higher end packages generally have them.

its all subjective to personal visual tastes vs function in my opinion.
And of course the primary driver is to use the illusion of choice to squeeze out more profit. I would have preferred a smaller wheel but it wasn't an option I could get.
Sponsored