Desert Rider Build

Desert Rider

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang 1976 Bronco 1999 Super Duty
Purchased my Ranger in June 2019. Bought it using Ford’s X Plan (no haggle purchasing) and saved some bucks, although still pricey vehicle…as you ‘all know. My goal is to make this truck capable of traversing jeep / mine site trails and forest service roads in New Mexico/Colorado/Utah, but still keeping a somewhat of a factory ride – more or less. So far, I have added the following:

• 255/75/17 BFG All Terrain tires (pizza cutters). These narrower tires are about 1” taller than our stock AT tires, and easily clear the stock or aftermarket Upper Control Arms using stock wheels. The BFGs provide great traction, tougher sidewalls, durability against sharp rocks and objects, and better gas mileage than wider 32” similarly-aggressive tires.

• ICON Stage 2 Suspension lift including billet upper control arms. The lift is currently set at about a 2.75” lift. The ride is much improved, handles bumps better and rebounds smother. Looking forward to taking it off road to see if the amount of vertical travel is what they claim.

• A set of 1” blocks was added to the rear leaf springs. This setup keeps a rake on the truck (similar to the factory rake), which is my preference. The blocks also appear to provide a slightly smoother ride in the rear, don’t know how though?

• 30% ceramic tint on side and rear windows. Helps keep the intense sun off of us hear in the desert SW.

• Craftsman tool box. Spent <$200, so if I decide to do something different it’s not a big loss.

• Rubber bed mat. This could be a temporary install, since a may get a Decked storage system (or similar) for the truck bed.

• Factor hitch pin.

• Stubby antenna (4” long instead of 8”), ensures that I can clear my garage door.
In the next few weeks to months, I plan to install rock sliders and possibly a camper shell. Not sure whether I will go with a fiberglass, stainless or aluminum shell? The fiberglass shells look way better, but the metal shells are more functional and robust. Think I’ll wait for additional reviews from you guys.

Ranger1.jpg
Ranger2.jpg
Ranger3.jpg
Sponsored

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
Nice.. did the tires work on the stock suspension before the lift?

OP
OP
Desert Rider

Desert Rider

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice.. did the tires work on the stock suspension before the lift?
Yes, I am 99% sure the tires would have worked on the stock suspension. However, I had already cut about half of the front crash bar(s) off before I mounted the tires. I used a small die grinder/chop saw to modify the crash bars. Rear crash bars did not get any mods.
Ranger4.jpg

Roger White

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Purchased my Ranger in June 2019. Bought it using Ford’s X Plan (no haggle purchasing) and saved some bucks, although still pricey vehicle…as you ‘all know. My goal is to make this truck capable of traversing jeep / mine site trails and forest service roads in New Mexico/Colorado/Utah, but still keeping a somewhat of a factory ride – more or less. So far, I have added the following:

• Craftsman tool box. Spent <$200, so if I decide to do something different it’s not a big loss.
Ranger1.jpg
Ranger2.jpg
Ranger3.jpg
Is the tool box low profile? I just want something to mount some whip antennas for ham radio.

I have the same 2019 color truck as yours, Sport model. I like the 21.5 mpg fuel mileage around town. Big delta over my F-150's off past!

Roger W5RDW

OP
OP
Desert Rider

Desert Rider

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, tool box is low profile, slightly lower than the top of bed rails. Also installed racks on both sides of bed for tools, plus rock sliders for protection.