First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Decouple tailgate unlock from door buttons?

I’m looking to make my truck bed theft proof. I want to buy a hard top tonneau cover the can only be opened when K open the tailgate. Currently, the weakest link in this plan is the inside door panel unlock buttons. Opening my tailgate would be as easy as smashing a window and clicking that button. I’d like to see the tailgate lock completely decoupled from any buttons in the cab, and unlocked via my keyfob only.

Are there any 2020 Ranger experts in here who can comment on possible solutions?
Sponsored

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Opening your tailgate is a lot easier than smashing a window. A screwdriver inserted at the right angle near the tailgate handle will open the tailgate. It's how thieves are able to steal taillights.

See attached post:

Good observation. After closer inspection it appears they did try to get the entire tailgate. I did have a damper but the tailgate being locked seems to be the simple reason why they weren’t successful. My damper wasn’t actually necessary in this case. Picture of broken tailgate lock that I originally didn't notice.
47256557-47A9-48EB-98D2-17C4D4B6012C.jpeg

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
that too☝

All you need to do is remove the panel on the inside of your tailgate and disconnect the wires to the lock. simple 5 minute procedure if you have a #20 or #25 torx IIRC

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
All you need to do is remove the panel on the inside of your tailgate and disconnect the wires to the lock. simple 5 minute procedure if you have a #20 or #25 torx IIRC
That's what I did too. Just remove the access panel (I had to take the bedliner cover off first), unplug the wire from the latch, and I wrapped the plug in electrical tape to keep water out.
I unplugged it fairly early on to keep it unlocked because it was a hassle if I had an armload of groceries or was working around the house.
I have a soft tonneau so things are out of sight but can still lock it with the key if I have something valuable in the bed like a dozen eggs.

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
as Johnny said above, its easy enough to disconnect with some torx. One thing to keep in mind is that if someone is willing to smash your window to get into your bed, they are more than willing to shove crowbar thorough the massive tailgate gaps or on the edge of the cover and open that way.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
that too☝

That would work. My Ranger even came with a plug to keep dirt out of the connector, mainly for when the tailgate is removed.
But doing this doesn't meet OP's requirements of being able to unlock the tailgate remotely with his fob.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
That would work. My Ranger even came with a plug to keep dirt out of the connector, mainly for when the tailgate is removed.
But doing this doesn't meet OP's requirements of being able to unlock the tailgate remotely with his fob.
disconnecting that wire also disconnects the backup camera

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
disconnecting that wire also disconnects the backup camera
Correct. If you unplug the whole tailgate harness you will lose the backup camera. Unplug the wire at the latch then the camera still works. The cap is for if you need to take the whole tailgate off.
Sponsored