First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Consulting
Took them over 8 hours to install and botched the job. Waited at the dealership for 3 hours, at the 2 hour mark the SA told me they were just tightening everything down and it'll be out soon. After 3 hours she finally says they need it for longer and comp me a rental. At 4:30pm she calls & doesn't know when it'll be done, "some time tomorrow" she thinks. Got a little upset at her and told her if it can't be finished tonight, take it off because I need the truck. Managed to get it done by 5:30pm. When I pick it up, she says they had to drop the whole headliner which is why it took so long & the installation guide is in the glove box (I figured this was a passive aggressive comment like go read it yourself, which I had & it says 2 hours but they removed that page).

Problem 1: Zip tied the wiring before the connector so it can't be folded back. Easy enough to fix, but shows a lack of attention.
IMG_5355.JPEG

Problem 2: They installed the 3rd brake light through the window panel. This makes the whole thing useless as the window can't be removed. If it's moved to where it should be, it will leak.
IMG_5358.JPEG
IMG_5363.JPEG
IMG_5364.JPEG
IMG_5365.JPEG

Problem 3: It doesn't look like it's fitted correctly so there's a huge gap & they cut the rubber flap so it's just going to leak.
Problem 3.b: Also the instructions show that wire being routed through the bed not over.
IMG_5362.JPEG
IMG_5370.JPEG

Problem 4: they didn't reconnect the defroster, again easy fix but shows lack of attention.
IMG_5366.JPEG

Problem 5: They cut the boot instead of fishing the wires through. This doesn't affect the topper, but does show lack of care or attention when following the directions. Also since the topper folds, these may rip completely over time.

Problem 6: It wasn't properly secured, the drivers front corner wasn't clipped over neither was the passenger rear nor was it clipped around the crossbars only one of the bars had the Velcro around it.

Problem 7: Forgot to include the chips in the tailgate that's down to the metal.
IMG_5373.JPEG

I have little patience for people who blatantly don't know what they're doing and lie throughout the process, so my fiancé will be dealing with the dealership to get this resolved. But we're going to be asking for the whole unit to be replaced, if not a refund and removal. I would also like to see where the wire is pulled through the interior because at this point I don't trust it was done correctly either.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
So they:
1) Installed the topper incorrectly
2) Damaged the product in the process
3) Damaged the truck in the process
4) Actively concealed the fact that it took them 4x as long as it should have.

Even if they were giving a full refund, I wouldn't trust them to remove it.

OP
OP
KnightWolf

KnightWolf

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Consulting
There's definite trust issues with their service department. I'm thinking of contacting a closer dealership to see if they'll handle the reinstall, but somehow doubt it.

That's terrible. The topper is an easy install that you could have done yourself.
Kinda wish I had, I'm the kind of person who completely reads an install guide before even attempting and it honestly was long but didn't look that difficult.

What really irks me is their clear lack of attention to detail. The install guide shows to use a metal rod to pull the wires. I get that they probably don't pull wires often (I have a Fiber rod for pull cable), but they could have bent a metal coat hanger.

Think maybe I'll tell them I'll remove it & to ship a replacement direct to me.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Why is a dealership doing a SofTopper install?

My Fas-Top took about 2 1/2 hours total. My only assistants were my 12 year old daughter and few beers. It's about twice as intricate as a SofTopper install.

Have your old man push for removal, refund, and repair of the chip.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Took them over 8 hours to install and botched the job. Waited at the dealership for 3 hours, at the 2 hour mark the SA told me they were just tightening everything down and it'll be out soon. After 3 hours she finally says they need it for longer and comp me a rental. At 4:30pm she calls & doesn't know when it'll be done, "some time tomorrow" she thinks. Got a little upset at her and told her if it can't be finished tonight, take it off because I need the truck. Managed to get it done by 5:30pm. When I pick it up, she says they had to drop the whole headliner which is why it took so long & the installation guide is in the glove box (I figured this was a passive aggressive comment like go read it yourself, which I had & it says 2 hours but they removed that page).

Problem 1: Zip tied the wiring before the connector so it can't be folded back. Easy enough to fix, but shows a lack of attention.
IMG_5355.JPEG

Problem 2: They installed the 3rd break light through the window panel. This makes the whole thing useless as the window can't be removed. If it's moved to where it should be, it will leak.
IMG_5358.JPEG
IMG_5363.JPEG
IMG_5364.JPEG
IMG_5365.JPEG

Problem 3: It doesn't look like it's fitted correctly so there's a huge gap & they cut the rubber flap so it's just going to leak.
Problem 3.b: Also the instructions show that wire being routed through the bed not over.
IMG_5362.JPEG
IMG_5370.JPEG

Problem 4: they didn't reconnect the defroster, again easy fix but shows lack of attention.
IMG_5366.JPEG

Problem 5: They cut the boot instead of fishing the wires through. This doesn't affect the topper, but does show lack of care or attention when following the directions. Also since the topper folds, these may rip completely over time.

Problem 6: It wasn't properly secured, the drivers front corner wasn't clipped over neither was the passenger rear nor was it clipped around the crossbars only one of the bars had the Velcro around it.

Problem 7: Forgot to include the chips in the tailgate that's down to the metal.
IMG_5373.JPEG

I have little patience for people who blatantly don't know what they're doing and lie throughout the process, so my fiancé will be dealing with the dealership to get this resolved. But we're going to be asking for the whole unit to be replaced, if not a refund and removal. I would also like to see where the wire is pulled through the interior because at this point I don't trust it was done correctly either.
I would definitely escalate that to Ford! They need to be aware of this regardless of how this turns out.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So they:
1) Installed the topper incorrectly
2) Damaged the product in the process
3) Damaged the truck in the process
4) Actively concealed the fact that it took them 4x as long as it should have.

I'd bet big money they had some kid fresh out of high school doing it or else some dope head. The problem with employers as they hire who they can and not what they want right now. This is what happens when you give people $300 plus extra on their unemployment benefits every week so they have no desire to go to work. Mom and Pop restaurants are shutting down like crazy because they can't hire people.

OP
OP
KnightWolf

KnightWolf

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Consulting
Why is a dealership doing a SofTopper install?

My Fas-Top took about 2 1/2 hours total. My only assistants were my 12 year old daughter and few beers. It's about twice as intricate as a SofTopper install.

Have your old man push for removal, refund, and repair of the chip.
We purchased it through the dealership when we bought the truck. It was supposed to be installed when we picked up the truck, but was delayed about 2 weeks. I figured if it's a dealership offered accessory, they'd know how to install it or at least RTFM.

I would definitely escalate that to Ford! They need to be aware of this regardless of how this turns out.
Good idea, I'll definitely be reaching out to them. My past experience dealing with VWoC wasn't pleasant (nutshell VW has 12 year corrosion warranty & "lost" my claim pushing it over the 12 year mark then told me to shove it). Haven't dealt with Ford Canada, maybe they're better?

I'd bet big money they had some kid fresh out of high school doing it or else some dope head.
Yea I'd be willing to bet the same, especially since the book time is only 2 hours so if it were a tech they would have spent 6 hours working for free. I will be asking them to remove it in the lot so I can keep an eye on them, we'll see how well that goes over.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
In the past, I've had shops document the bad work and invoice it for me, so that I can take the invoice to the shop that f*cked it up in the first place and pay the shop that fixed it. one of the problems with moving to a new place where you don't know the reputations of the various shops in the area.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
We purchased it through the dealership when we bought the truck. It was supposed to be installed when we picked up the truck, but was delayed about 2 weeks. I figured if it's a dealership offered accessory, they'd know how to install it or at least RTFM.
Gotcha. Didn't see you were in Canada. I've never seen a dealership sell or install a third party accessory like that down here.

And yes, you'd think they'd be competent, apparently not.

I'd resolve this and cut ties for sure.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
This is insane. This is why I do my own oil changes on my truck. I wouldn't trust the dealership to fill my tires. The only time I went to the dealership was a few weeks ago. I wanted them to check the transmission fluid level. When I get there I speak to the service advisor and he tells me there is no way to check the fluid level on the 10 speeds because it's a sealed unit and they have no dipstick. I told him that they do indeed have a dipstick, and he asked me "are you sure?" Needless to say, I walked out. How do you not know this about the MOST used transmission in the Ford lineup? I called another dealership and they told me all their transmission techs are busy and if I booked an appointment, regardless of when that is, my truck would sit in the lot for a few days before they can get to it and they would not provide me a loaner. Ford service is a joke.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This is insane. This is why I do my own oil changes on my truck. I wouldn't trust the dealership to fill my tires. The only time I went to the dealership was a few weeks ago. I wanted them to check the transmission fluid level. When I get there I speak to the service advisor and he tells me there is no way to check the fluid level on the 10 speeds because it's a sealed unit and they have no dipstick. I told him that they do indeed have a dipstick, and he asked me "are you sure?" Needless to say, I walked out. How do you not know this about the MOST used transmission in the Ford lineup? I called another dealership and they told me all their transmission techs are busy and if I booked an appointment, regardless of when that is, my truck would sit in the lot for a few days before they can get to it and they would not provide me a loaner. Ford service is a joke.
I would definitely have let the service department director know what that service advisor said about not having a dipstick.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
What a shame - this is just so unacceptable. Was it Twin Hills in Richmond? I want to know who to avoid.

I sure hope the dealer is smart enough to quickly make this right. Unfortunately, their idea of making it right may be a lot different than yours.

If it is, I’d be happy to join a line of Rangers blocking access to their business until they come to their senses. ?

OP
OP
KnightWolf

KnightWolf

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Consulting
I would definitely have let the service department director know what that service advisor said about not having a dipstick.
Sounds like the adviser was a bit of a dipstick themselves.

What a shame - this is just so unacceptable. Was it Twin Hills in Richmond? I want to know who to avoid.

I sure hope the dealer is smart enough to quickly make this right. Unfortunately, their idea of making it right may be a lot different than yours.

If it is, I’d be happy to join a line of Rangers blocking access to their business until they come to their senses. ?
No, Fines in Bolton. They were the only dealership at the time with a Lariat FX4 on the lot. The sales team was excellent & no pressure. We leased under a business and they helped getting the RIN setup. Had contacted Downtown Ford about a XLT FX4 and the guy wouldn't leave me alone, even after telling him to pound dirt.

I wouldn't trust the dealership to fill my tires.
Funny you mention that, they were over inflated to 37, 36, & 35PSI, only front passenger and rear driver had the same pressure. This should have been my warning.
Sponsored