De-badging

jsiedle1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew
Is anyone having the dealer remove the "4x4, FX4, etc. badging in the rear of the vehicle?

Denver133

First Name
Denver133
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger on order
Is anyone having the dealer remove the "4x4, FX4, etc. badging in the rear of the vehicle?
I’m going to remove all those myself. Just use a heat gun and it will come right off.

ajvester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
I was planning on having my dealer remove the stickers before delivery. I don't know if they will be willing to do it though.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Not those stickers, but the first thing I do is remove the dealer's name sticker.

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
Not those stickers, but the first thing I do is remove the dealer's name sticker.
I don't understand why anyone would want to drive around giving free advertising to a dealer, first thing that goes!

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I don't understand why anyone would want to drive around giving free advertising to a dealer, first thing that goes!
Yep, that's the way I look at it, and they sure don't pay you for the privilege. A little heat from a blow dryer takes the decal right off.

jcardona1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Toyota 4Runner Trail edition / '04 Nissan Frontier / '96 Toyota Land Cruiser
This seems to be a regional thing because I've never seen on cars sold in CA. However I do see this a lot on cars in NV.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
This seems to be a regional thing because I've never seen on cars sold in CA. However I do see this a lot on cars in NV.
We have some local dealers (Portland, OR) here who do it, but most use the license plate frame as their "advertising".

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
We have some local dealers (Portland, OR) here who do it, but most use the license plate frame as their "advertising".
Yes, the License plate frame is what they do around here as well.

At one point dealers where I lived would actually screw their logo to the vehicle. When I ordered my Ranger back then I told them if they put any of their advertising on my truck I wasn't go to complete the purchase.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Yes, the License plate frame is what they do around here as well.

At one point dealers where I lived would actually screw their logo to the vehicle. When I ordered my Ranger back then I told them if they put any of their advertising on my truck I wasn't go to complete the purchase.
In the old days before modern adhesives were developed (1970s and earlier), they actually drilled holes in the trunk lid and the name plates had pins that pushed into those holes. Buy a used car, and you could bet that the new dealer's plate's holes wouldn't match up with the old, so they would just cover the old holes up with the new plate (and new holes), but not fill them.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I take a trip to the local car wash (or if you have a pressure washer) and power wash the dealer sticker off. If that doesn't work, I have a rubber decal removal wheel available from almost any auto parts store. I like a nice, smooth appearance....even going to remove the EB badge as well, using fishing line, and the 4x4 decals. The decal removal wheel takes off the adhesive MUCH cleaner and easier that Oops, or Goof Off.

When I bought my 2001 Ranger Edge Plus, the dealer in Colorado Springs used little screws to put on the dealer badge. I took it back and had them remove it, fill the holes and paint it.

Monty

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I take a trip to the local car wash (or if you have a pressure washer) and power wash the dealer sticker off. If that doesn't work, I have a rubber decal removal wheel available from almost any auto parts store. I like a nice, smooth appearance....even going to remove the EB badge as well, using fishing line, and the 4x4 decals. The decal removal wheel takes off the adhesive MUCH cleaner and easier that Oops, or Goof Off.

When I bought my 2001 Ranger Edge Plus, the dealer in Colorado Springs used little screws to put on the dealer badge. I took it back and had them remove it, fill the holes and paint it.
Pressure washing a sticker is a horrible solution.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase

FordBlueHeart

First Name
Torr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0l
Occupation
Collision Repair Estimator
Adhesive will still be there after the pressure wash, but that's easy to remove.