First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I did a bit of searching about the dashboard layouts on the Ranger. There are a few comments about the dash, but nothing stands out about any personal choice. But this fact brings up several questions.

Probably the most obvious question is, why did Ford chose to use essentially two different (and I might say diverse) layouts? Since bean counters often rule what goes into any given vehicle, it certainly would have been less expensive using just one layout for all the models.

I’ve not played with the dash in a Lariat, but I suspect there are a few “screens” the Lariat has, that lessor models do not. Here the question is, do you really need those extras? Even the XLT dash has a few odd displays. For example, you can digitally display the speed, but to me its a bit superfluous considering the nicely-designed, analog dial. I would have much preferred to have a 0 to 60 calculator (ala Mustang) rather than a digital speedometer. And I would have liked a boost gauge too, but that inclusion is a double-edged sword—just ask Honda about that issue.

Ascetics-wise, I prefer the one in the XLT versus the one in the Lariat, and apparently (based on my search) other agree.

The final question is, what do you prefer, and why?
Sponsored

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
I have a Lariat. I'd like to have a real tach and like the XLT.

The extra screen in the Lariat is pretty useful during navigation and now with the Sync 3.4 update it shows useful information for entertainment. Before the update I was thinking of trying to find an XLT cluster to swap. Now, not so much.

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
I prefer the Lariat's dash myself. However even for the bean counters...it was already a massed produced dash since it's used in other Ford models. I am assuming the other dashes are used across the board as well.

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a Lariat. I'd like to have a real tach and like the XLT.

The extra screen in the Lariat is pretty useful during navigation and now with the Sync 3.4 update it shows useful information for entertainment. Before the update I was thinking of trying to find an XLT cluster to swap. Now, not so much.
Hmm I need to update mine. I always thought the right screen, when showing entertainment, was quite the useless screen space. What does it show now?

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
At first, I was considering an XLT. I was turned off by the Lariat cluster and wasn't sure about leather seats. Preferred the large XLT analog speedo and tach. However, I wanted several other features only offered on Lariat... and bought a Lariat.

The Lariat cluster has grown on me. Like Mobius97 said, the infotainment display is wasted space - disappointing. Even for Nav, the large center screen and voice prompts work well for. Nav info belongs in a HUD on the windshield. Even my wife's Santa Fe has a HUD with Nav, speedo, speed limit, lane assist, etc.

Just give us two generic screens and let the driver select from all features which info to display on each side. And add it to the driver selection memory when memory seats are added. And give us a HUD.

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Hmm I need to update mine. I always thought the right screen, when showing entertainment, was quite the useless screen space. What does it show now?
I've only used it on Sirius and with a USB flash drive. It shows the artist and song title. On Sirius it also shows the channel number and name.

Before 3.4 I just kept it on navigation and it showed a compass if no destination was active.

MathGod

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Platinum Lariat
Occupation
Educator
I felt the same way about the entertainment screen on the right in my Lariat.

Totally useless until Sync 3.4.

I only wanted a Lariat because of the two screens. I thought they were the best. The longer I own my truck the more disappointed I am in the screens.

OP
OP
Apples

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Let me add this. Since updating the Sync to 3.4 (I have the Sync 3 package on my XTL), the infotainment screen displays just about everything you've always wanted to know, but has photos and/or album covers depending on what you're playing (audio books, music, etc.). I can't imagine that little screen in the Lariat showing all of the info.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I have a Lariat and I like the dash. The digital tach doesn’t bother me, it’s a truck not a sports car, and the navigation right in front of me is nice too. My 2 cents.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
I much prefer the cluster in my XLT. I had a Focus Electric at one time that had the dash layout very similar to the Lariat. I used to think I liked the really fancy gauge clusters, but I've since changed my mind. The XLT cluster gives plenty of information without being so noisy.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I much prefer the cluster in my XLT. I had a Focus Electric at one time that had the dash layout very similar to the Lariat. I used to think I liked the really fancy gauge clusters, but I've since changed my mind. The XLT cluster gives plenty of information without being so noisy.
As someone else pointed out earlier, it would be great if you could decide exactly what you wanted on the two screens in the Lariat. As it stands, the options are somewhat limited.

I personally don't miss the tach and I've grown to like the Lariat cluster.

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let me add this. Since updating the Sync to 3.4 (I have the Sync 3 package on my XTL), the infotainment screen displays just about everything you've always wanted to know, but has photos and/or album covers depending on what you're playing (audio books, music, etc.). I can't imagine that little screen in the Lariat showing all of the info.
I dont see much dfference of size in the screen dimensions. There is plenty of room to see album art etc.

20200829_080920.jpg

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Edge Sport
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
As much as I wanted leather and the B&O system and all the other options, I seriously considered ordering an XLT just because of the dash. I hate the electronic dash and love the analog gauges. I finally gave up the fight. As someone else commented earlier, I'll get a sports car if I want analog gauges.

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
I went with the xlt because of the dash and to have an actual key, would of liked leather but I’ve never seen them hold up as good as cloth in the long run
Sponsored