Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor

Billho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX 2wd SuperCab, 2002 GMC Sierra
Do you know if the ball from that mount would be compatible with ram mount accessories?
I tried it, since I have a RAM mount on one of my motorcycles. I like the magnet, but it would have been nice to have in the truck for when others in my family drive it. Unfortunately, the ball on the Course Motorsports is smaller at 5/8", where my RAM mount uses a 3/4" ball.

OP
OP
Secousse

Secousse

First Name
Secousse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
I tried it, since I have a RAM mount on one of my motorcycles. I like the magnet, but it would have been nice to have in the truck for when others in my family drive it. Unfortunately, the ball on the Course Motorsports is smaller at 5/8", where my RAM mount uses a 3/4" ball.
From CourseMotorsports.com:

Our ball is 17mm. If Ram mount accessories use 17mm balls than yes they will. My guess is they do not use the same size ball that we do.

17mm seems to be the standard for the Garmin Nuvi GPS.
I've tried to find 17mm arms, or systems that could transform it into a RAM-compatible but no such luck... May have to 3D-print.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Although I'm an FCC license holder, I'm out of the loop on Hams. Don't they have remote mounted units with a tiny remote mountable control panel nowadays? Perhaps something like that would work better for the Tremors' switch situation.

Madesicc88

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Electrician
I have been trying to figure out how to make this work for a while now, their mount uses a 17mm ball mounted to a threaded stud that is 10-32 machine threads, Ram itself doesn’t make a ball with that thread pitch, I have been looking at adapters to 1/4-20 threads or looking at various 1” knobs to get it to work. I did find a knob on Amazon that is 10-32 pitch that I might try. I was even thinking of getting the rubber tool handle dip and adding layers until the ball is big enough to use the Ram stuff.

Billho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was even thinking of getting the rubber tool handle dip and adding layers until the ball is big enough to use the Ram stuff.
That may work for the initial fitting, but my experience with that stuff is that it is pretty easy to tear or rub off and if you move the mount position at all, it will rip it and you'd have to re-coat to make it work right again.

Billho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took the magnetic mounting plate off and noticed that the ball is screwed on. So, in theory, you could take a RAM-sized ball and put in its place. I know you mentioned something like that in an earlier post, but it looks like it would be easy to do. It looks like the RAM ball mounts with a slightly larger bolt, but I suppose you could drill it out and, with a bolt of the correct length, add small nut on the back side.

ball mount 1.jpg

ball mount 2.png

Madesicc88

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Electrician
That may work for the initial fitting, but my experience with that stuff is that it is pretty easy to tear or rub off and if you move the mount position at all, it will rip it and you'd have to re-coat to make it work right again.
I have never used that stuff before so I wasn't sure if adding multiple layers would make it harder/tougher.
Can you post a picture of the mount with the ball off of it? Drilling the stud out would be a good option probably.

Madesicc88

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Electrician
Installed the Course Motor Sports mount today, decent mount. I will definitely try and work out a way to mount the RAM mounts that I have. I am going to get a few different balls to try out to make it work.
Sponsored