Cupholder Hero issues

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
So I actually love the cupholder Hero pads for the Ranger. They fit well and actually help clean the dog hair and dirt from the door pockets. Except for the rear armrest cupholder ones; they just do not stick in place.

I noticed today that the pad for the bin just in front of the shift lever had something greasy on it so I removed it. That's odd as only my phone goes in that spot. But the rubber pad has warped pretty badly. Check out the photo attached. Even the stock one has a bubble on the right side. This truck is 9 months old and it's hasn't even begun to get warm here in SC, so I'm a bit concerned about longevity of the pads.

Has anyone see this issue?

IMG_20200518_150956.jpg
Sponsored

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT CA Special. Ordering a Ranger Lariat FX2 Supercab in February 2020
Following.....
I just bought these for my supercab.

DonFrijoles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL STX
I have the same thing with a “wet/greasy” substance on mine as well, I think it’s just coming from general moisture but I live in humid Florida weather and heat. As far as the back cup holders, my kit came with tiny squares of 3m double sided tape to stick them into place.

OP
OP
Ranger8729

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another person I'm friends with locally also has this issue. Same greasy substance too. I emailed customer service to see if this has been brought up.

My rear cupholder ones also came with 3m tape squares but they didn't hold. Neither did my own version from work. No loss as I usually have a dog cover and not passengers lol

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Just checked mine.. Have the same issue with one of the cup holders, all the rest were fine.. Not warped but greasy.

OP
OP
Ranger8729

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Checked all my pads again and the one in the console looked like this.

Radio silence from customer service.

IMG_20200530_163801.jpg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Checked all my pads again and the one in the console looked like this.

Radio silence from customer service.

IMG_20200530_163801.jpg
Hi Ashley,

Weird! Is it oily or water based? Does it have a smell? Wonder if it is like a mold release compound. I emailed them about possible set of cup holder hero for the Lincoln MKX and did hear from them but it took a while...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Ranger8729

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's definitely oily, but has no smell. It's just odd bc the ones in the door pockets do not have any issues, but all the flat ones (front and center console, and rear bench) all do

JJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Im wondering if you are putting them on top of the OE liners, if there is a chemical reaction occurring between the dissimilar materials due to the heat possibly causing something to leach out?

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, its oily not water based, no smell.. I got some on my arm rest from the cupholder and it was difficult to wipe off. I’m going to check mine again tomorrow, if I have the same problem I’m tossing these in the trash.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, its oily not water based, no smell.. I got some on my arm rest from the cupholder and it was difficult to wipe off. I’m going to check mine again tomorrow, if I have the same problem I’m tossing these in the trash.
Hi Tony,

Don't give up just yet.. There is another solution...try the 92% Alcohol, available at Walgreens. Wife uses it for her paintings to remove areas that she wants to improve on her paintings. I use it when mineral spirts and lighter fluid do not work, before using Acetone...horrible stuff but sometimes it is all the works.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Tony,

Don't give up just yet.. There is another solution...try the 92% Alcohol, available at Walgreens. Wife uses it for her paintings to remove areas that she wants to improve on her paintings. I use it when mineral spirts and lighter fluid do not work, before using Acetone...horrible stuff but sometimes it is all the works.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hey Phil,

Thanks for the tip! I’ve got 92%. I’ll check them tomorrow, if its happend again I’ll give it a try. Weird thing is I only noticed it in my cupholders, all the rest of the pieces are fine, last time I checked anyway. I’m just worried that they may damage the console plastic If it keeps happening.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Phil,

Thanks for the tip! I’ve got 92%. I’ll check them tomorrow, if its happend again I’ll give it a try. Weird thing is I only noticed it in my cupholders, all the rest of the pieces are fine, last time I checked anyway. I’m just worried that they may damage the console plastic If it keeps happening.
Hi Tony,

I have them in my Ranger....they were perfect in the blue accent. Wife loves them. I am just flat puzzled that any folks have problems, but I tried to correspond with them about my Nautilus and they were incommunicado...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Reited

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
I've noticed the same substance for the insert by the sync plugs. its also warped like the OPs, its laying over the oem insert. the cup holders were dry, but i removed the oem insert there. the door panel inserts are dry. i will check the center console one tomorrow.,
Sponsored