Creaking noise between bed & cab

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
It's a huge inconvenience for me to get to the closest dealer, so I'm hoping someone else has dealt with this before I make the trip.

There's something making a racket between the bed and cab (or sounds like it.) As the chassis flexes over rough roads, there's a loud creaking or squeaking noise propagating through the cabin, coming from behind the rear seats. It seams like there is a rubber/foam strip or something sealing them that may be the culprit, but it's hard to tell.

Has anyone run into this? Lariat Supercrew FX4
Sponsored

jlamp5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
I took mine in for a similar sounding issue. They told me it had something to do with some caulk that was rubbing. The fix they recommended was to remove the bed and file down the caulk to keep it from rubbing. I haven't done it yet. Wondering if it will wear itself down over time and solve itself. Or I'm wondering if they have misdiagnosed it.

It seems to me like removing the bed of a truck is a bit involved. What could be negative consequences of such a repair?

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
I took mine in for a similar sounding issue. They told me it had something to do with some caulk that was rubbing. The fix they recommended was to remove the bed and file down the caulk to keep it from rubbing. I haven't done it yet. Wondering if it will wear itself down over time and solve itself. Or I'm wondering if they have misdiagnosed it.

It seems to me like removing the bed of a truck is a bit involved. What could be negative consequences of such a repair?
Bed removal is an easy job, maybe half hour off and on.

OP
OP
tivct

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS

The dealer wants you to DIY this!?

OP
OP
tivct

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
Update: there are rubber flaps that span the gap between the bed & cab. They’re definitely the source. But, it looks like they’re aligned and installed properly. They just make a ton of noise. Seriously!?

RangerTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2023 XLT
I had an issue with a Tacoma. It was the rubber flap that spans the gap between the bed and cab. The dealer used a silicone lube on the rubber flap and the noise was totally gone. In my case, it was just one side that needed the lube.

Ranger #6

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x2, 2012 MINI Cooper S, 2012 Toyota RAV4
Occupation
Aircraft Stress Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I had a creaking noise issue on my '06 when it was fairly new. Took it to the dealer; they couldn't find the source of the creak (or said they did and "fixed" the wrong thing [Edit: They replaced one of the rear leaf springs.]). Anyway, several months later, I was under the truck running coax for an HF ham antenna. While maneuvering underneath the truck, I happened to push up on the gas tank, and I heard the creak! Turns out, it was a small thin stainless steel (or maybe brass) bolt head shroud (I suppose it's there to prevent the bolt head from puncturing the tank during an accident). I mashed the shroud up closer to the bolt head and it never made that sound again.

jlamp5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
The dealer wants you to DIY this!?
No, they would do it. But it seems like an extreme solution, and I wonder if removing the bed is something that causes problems down the road, or if it's the kind of thing that's a fairly harmless process.

1medic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew
Any updates on this problem and a definite fix? I have the same squeak coming from between bed and cab. I lubed all the rubber between the cab and bed and it didn't work.

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Creaking, squeaking noises always irritate me for some reason so I always try and fix right away , for example the passenger seat making noises and a slight adjustment usually fixes the problem without dealers assistance; in your case the service department may need to repair the irritating noise, I think we have a year to get adjustments done on our great little trucks?

1105191016b_Burst01.jpg

!cid_D35E8C0B02AF4C1980DC5FBB73C5DBBE@dmclmcPC.png

Last edited:

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Beds on pickups are easily removed since these are body on frame designs.
FYI, In order to fix an issue with the 6.0 Powerstroke on my '06 F-350 they had to remove the entire cab for complete engine access. I heard 1 squeak when I got it back then never again as, I suppose it settled on the body mounts.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
I had this early in the winter. Sprayed some Fluid Film on the river between the cab and bed and the noise never returned.

Dustanmont

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Mine just started this in the cold snap here in Oklahoma. It's 100% these rubber seals.

20210211_162349.jpg
Sponsored