CRC GDI Cleaner

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2021 Lincoln Nautilus
I've had good results using CRC GDI spray cleaner on my previous direct injection engine vehicles and would like to start using it on my 2019 Ranger. I'm not a shade tree mechanic, know just enough to be dangerous! LOL
Can someone point me to where in the intake system would be the best place to access the intake to spray the cleaner?
I know to avoid MAF/MAP sensors and I'm not necessarily concerned about turbo cleaning, so I'm looking for someplace near the throttle body that I can easily insert the spray tube with minimal disassembly of any VAC or other lines.

Hoping someone on the forum may have already found or knows of a good place to inject the cleaner. A PIC would be a huge help.

Thanks and looking forward to participating in the Forums.

Larry
Sponsored

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Was wondering the same thing. Would love if someone knew. Seems the mass flow sensors are near the intake filter. But would love if someone knew exactly how to do this safely.

OP
OP

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2021 Lincoln Nautilus
Was wondering the same thing. Would love if someone knew. Seems the mass flow sensors are near the intake filter. But would love if someone knew exactly how to do this safely.
My understanding is that the Ranger's 2.3L Ecoboost doesn't have a MAF sensor, but, does have a MAP (Manifold absolute pressure?) sensor. I'm still researching if GDI cleaners have any negative effect on MAPs. My local Tire Discounter shop showed me where they would normally insert a tube for their GDI spray cleaning system and basically they loosen the intake pipe clamp on the side that's opposite the throttle body on the short ABS connector pipe just before the throttle body. They insert a very narrow spray tube that's bent to allow replacing the intake duct onto the ABS coupler and mist the GDI cleaner into the throttle body at 2K RPM.
I'm thinking about drilling a small hole in the ABS coupler that would be just large enough to fit the spray tube into and when done install a short screw to seal it back up which would allow easy removal for the next time.
I think this picture shows where the MAP is located on the intake manifold.

MAPSensor.png

Last edited:

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding is that the Ranger's 2.3L Ecoboost doesn't have a MAF sensor, but, does have a MAP (Manifold absolute pressure?) sensor. I'm still researching if GDI cleaners have any negative effect on MAPs. My local Tire Discounter shop showed me where they would normally insert a tube for their GDI spray cleaning system and basically they loosen the intake pipe clamp on the side that's opposite the throttle body on the short ABS connector pipe just before the throttle body. They insert a very narrow spray tube that's bent to allow replacing the intake duct onto the ABS coupler and mist the GDI cleaner into the throttle body at 2K RPM.
I'm thinking about drilling a small hole in the ABS coupler that would be just large enough to fit the spray tube into and when done install a short screw to seal it back up which would allow easy removal for the next time.
I think this picture shows where the MAP is located on the intake manifold.

MAPSensor.png
Thanks for the info. Please keep us updated.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else used the CRC product?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else used the CRC product?
Hi DM,

Yep! I do...CRC makes quality products in my opinion....especially their electrical contact cleaner...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi DM,

Yep! I do...CRC makes quality products in my opinion....especially their electrical contact cleaner...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Nice to hear. Have you done a treatment for the intake valves?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Nice to hear. Have you done a treatment for the intake valves?
Hi D,

With only 1370 miles on the truck, I do not think this is necessary but if needed, I would indeed use CRC!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi D,

With only 1370 miles on the truck, I do not think this is necessary but if needed, I would indeed use CRC!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hey

what interval what you recommend using it at. Every how many miles. Thanks. Phil.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey

what interval what you recommend using it at. Every how many miles. Thanks. Phil.
Hi Dmax,

I can not really say as it depends to a great extent how you drive, but if you notice a degradation in performance or difficulties with simply starting the vehicle and it stalls, then that would be an indicator to try the CRC treatment. However as for a preventive measure, I would think every other oil change would be a good benchmark, depending on time and effort. I support the drive it like you stole it. If you have viewed the thread of the torturer test of the F150 V6, they did not need any treatment as the teardown did not show any significant problems meriting any remedial action.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Dmax,

I can not really say as it depends to a great extent how you drive, but if you notice a degradation in performance or difficulties with simply starting the vehicle and it stalls, then that would be an indicator to try the CRC treatment. However as for a preventive measure, I would think every other oil change would be a good benchmark, depending on time and effort. I support the drive it like you stole it. If you have viewed the thread of the torturer test of the F150 V6, they did not need any treatment as the teardown did not show any significant problems meriting any remedial action.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Yeah that sounds like a good suggestion. Wish someone had a video on how to do such with the Ranger. I’ve followed your comments. I’m not that type who thinks it needs a catch can or extra prevention. I think some good synthetic oil, high grade fuel, and some basic maintenance and this truck should be a long lasting friend to our family. That video was impressive. I think the gdi system has been improved upon and should last. Thinking the CrC stuff could be a nice little preventive maintenance solution. Thanks for your responses here. Always appreciate your informed opinion.

cheers
DMAX

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone done a CRC intake valve cleaning yet? If so some insight or directions appreciated for those less knowledgeable. Cheers.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Bump, anyone use this product yet and verified their engine didn't blow up? Was it ez enough that even if only helps minimally, it is still worth trying to help reduce carbon buildup on the valves?

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
I've used both this (CRC) and the Berryman cleaner. I bought the Berryman because it comes as a kit that has some adapters that make the job much easier. After I finished the can of Berryman I kept the adapters for use with the CRC I normally buy.

My regimen is 1/2 can of whichever cleaner prior to my 5000-mile oil changes.

https://www.amazon.com/Berryman-Com...e/dp/B081TKBG18/ref=sr_1_3?crid=19NQVG0THZ2QC

I use the port just before the throttle body that easily unclips.