First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT Support
Recently was hauling some wood, and a piece smacked the tail light leading to a hairline crack. As expected, now the light is full of condensation and moisture, top to bottom.

I have an XLT with BLIS. Is there anything I could try without replacing the housing. Cheapest price I can find is $600!!
Sponsored

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
You found one for $600? Quite a while ago there was a couple members trying to replace broken taillights, and as I recall the price was closer to $1k!

EDIT: Found one of the posts about it. I recalled incorrectly, as it was north of $1k.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Unfortunately you need to replace the entire Assembly. A pain with the price but the fact you were able to find one that low of a price you did well.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
You might get lucky if you call around to some local wrecking yards as well as on-line ones that specialize in late models. They might be able to locate the tail light. There's always a chance that they might have one and sell it for 2-300 vs 7-800.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Personally, I'd try some of that plastic weld before I paid that. After baking the moisture out first of course.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Though I do not agree with tinting film...how about using it to waterproof the cracking?

agbulling

First Name
Aziz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2018 Indian Chieftain Vintage
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army CW4, I.T. Project Manager
The only way I can think of is to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to both stop the crack and be a place to inject Nitrogen into the assembly for about 15 minutes. After it has purged the moisture you should seal the crack and the hole with plastic cement that actually melts the plastic, maybe modelling cement. The drawback is that the Nitrogen is probably not cheap or easy to get access to.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Depending on your deductible, you may be able to get this covered on your insurance under the comprehensive coverage. My policy covers glass, headlights , taillights, etc. with no deductible.

Cobrablues

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Railroad
I know this is an older forum, but I just found my passenger side tail light cracked. Unbeknownst to me how it happened. The price about $1200 at a local Ford dealer. A bit of a markup for the list of around $1088.00. I found a new one from a dealership for $702. Then the light went off in my mini brain. My deductible is only $250.00. So I filed a claim. Much cheaper. That's why we have insurance.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I'm surprised there aren't aftermarket guards being made for the tail lights. If they looked good I'd throw down some bucks. Good insurance.

Here's a thread.... Metal Tail Light Guards
Sponsored

Last edited: