Rod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger raptor
How can i fix this crack in the bed
It started when i went off road in high speed, and the rollbar is rattling when on rough roads

IMG_20191201_084020.jpg

IMG_20191201_082915.jpg
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
How can i fix this crack in the bed
It started when i went off road in high speed, and the rollbar is rattling when on rough roads

IMG_20191201_084020.jpg

IMG_20191201_082915.jpg
Hi Rodolfo,

Show a picture of your full truck from the side...need to understand the rollbar. Stress cracks like this are usually because there is a changed in loading from the stock configuration. As far as repair, the vehicle is still under warranty so take it to the dealer for repair. I am not skilled in body repair, so how this would be accomplished in the body shop of the dealer is up to them.

Good Luck!

Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

Rod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger raptor
Hi Rodolfo,

Show a picture of your full truck from the side...need to understand the rollbar. Stress cracks like this are usually because there is a changed in loading from the stock configuration. As far as repair, the vehicle is still under warranty so take it to the dealer for repair. I am not skilled in body repair, so how this would be accomplished in the body shop of the dealer is up to them.

Good Luck!

Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I'll take another picture later, i brought it to the dealer says they don't have anything to do with it because i didn't bought the rollbar from them

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'll take another picture later, i brought it to the dealer says they don't have anything to do with it because i didn't bought the rollbar from them
Hi Rod,

Exactly where I was heading with my question. Your roll bar installation changed the loading into the frame and pickup box. The stamped corners are a highly stressed area and it would appear your vehicle exceeded the stock Ford loadings and thus the pickup box cracked. When you modify your vehicle, you are in uncharted territory with respect to your modification. There is a USA company that has you saw off a front differential mount when the vehicle is lifted...the company has no clue if this will result in frame failures down the road. They do not care in my opinion as they are just selling parts. When you buy Ford approved parts there is engineering assessment that the parts are robust and will honor the Ford warranty if the assessment was flawed.

You need to elevate your concern above the dealer and get Ford involved. I cannot guarantee this will result in repair of your vehicle, but if you do not try, you are guaranteed to be stuck with paying for the repair out of your own pocket.

Good Luck...Sorry to see you having to deal with this damage.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retied

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It's hard to tell, but it looks like cracked body filler in the picture? If that's the case, then I would think the dealer would have to explain the filler? Ford has all kinds of accessories that attach to the bed rails, I would think it could survive the weight of that sheet metal roll bar you have attached?

OP
OP

Rod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger raptor
I don't know but i thought these were built TOUGH

OP
OP

Rod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger raptor
The advice i got from one of the dealer's mechanic is that i should detach the bed put it on top of empty drums that will serve as stand then reweld it because he said welding from factory are only spot welds, told me to full weld it, says the crack started from the spot

LightningBlue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XLT FX4/ 2023 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Remove the rollbar and take it to another dealer. Ingat

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Hi Rod,

Exactly where I was heading with my question. Your roll bar installation changed the loading into the frame and pickup box. The stamped corners are a highly stressed area and it would appear your vehicle exceeded the stock Ford loadings and thus the pickup box cracked. When you modify your vehicle, you are in uncharted territory with respect to your modification. There is a USA company that has you saw off a front differential mount when the vehicle is lifted...the company has no clue if this will result in frame failures down the road. They do not care in my opinion as they are just selling parts. When you buy Ford approved parts there is engineering assessment that the parts are robust and will honor the Ford warranty if the assessment was flawed.

You need to elevate your concern above the dealer and get Ford involved. I cannot guarantee this will result in repair of your vehicle, but if you do not try, you are guaranteed to be stuck with paying for the repair out of your own pocket.

Good Luck...Sorry to see you having to deal with this damage.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retied
i saw those saw off pix in another thread and cringed!
Sponsored