Control arm bushings missing chunks

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
All the bushings in my upper control arms have small sections missing, like chunks missing.

This can't be normal can it?
Both driver side and passenger side bushings are like this...

IMG_20220606_112944.jpg
IMG_20220606_113004.jpg
Sponsored

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger (SCrew Lariat Tremor)
Can't say for sure it's normal on the Ranger, but plenty of other vehicles I've worked on had similar molding in the bushing. Usually helps control flex and deflection direction when absorbing shock.

Hopefully Phil can chime in on this for the Ranger.

Ames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Crew Cab 4x4 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I just did a quick search and the Duralast replacement bushings at Autozone also have sections missing.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
When you compress a rubber bushing, the rubber material has to go somewhere so voids are purposely molded in the bushing to fine tune the "spring rate" of the bushing... Sometimes there is also an orientation mechanism to give the bushing rate difference in one direction, say Jounce/rebound vs outboard/inboard for example.

The old F Series twin I beam front axles had an asymmetric design to improve center feel of the steering but better compliance in the jounce and rebound movement... Sort of an oval bushing...

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
RedDakooter05

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
When you compress a rubber bushing, the rubber material has to go somewhere so voids are purposely molded in the bushing to fine tune the "spring rate" of the bushing... Sometimes there is also an orientation mechanism to give the bushing rate difference in one direction, say Jounce/rebound vs outboard/inboard for example.

The old F Series twin I beam front axles had an asymmetric design to improve center feel of the steering but better compliance in the jounce and rebound movement... Sort of an oval bushing...

Best,
Phil
Ah, ok thanks.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
If you want to ride like shit you could always fill the voids with 3M window weld and have a super stiff suspension. I did that on the car I ran nitrous on and it helped the stock engine mounts and CABs hold the extra hit of 60 to 75 hp rather well (jetted for 75 but the fuel pressure was a higher than the jets so Im guessing closer to 60). Just sent vibrations thru the car like crazy at low rpm... almost as bad as solid mounts.
Sponsored