First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Odd note: with just the cold side tube and running the stock Ford tune with everything else the same (route, driving style) my hand calculated and computer reported MPG increased noticeably.

But I miss the performance the tune provides. For now.
Sponsored

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Update before I test drive: all that OCD about bolts was unnecessary. The GFB bolts were exactly the correct thread as the Mishimoto and of course the right length.

Here's the GFB and stock blowoff on the install: not sure if it's my imagination but it looks like Mishimoto tilted the blowoff mount a hair - if so, that was damn clever (clearance).
IMG_20210114_121817452~2.jpg

First time I've disassembled the GFB, here's some wear on the piston:
IMG_20210114_112849150.jpg

Comparing the stock hot pipe to the aftermarket you can see where the constriction is/was - I suppose the 'chamber' that bumps out after the blowoff is for noise control - the whole thing visually is lower restriction and less turbulence.
IMG_20210114_110631155_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Update before I test drive: all that OCD about bolts was unnecessary. The GFB bolts were exactly the correct thread as the Mishimoto and of course the right length.

Here's the GFB and stock blowoff on the install: not sure if it's my imagination but it looks like Mishimoto tilted the blowoff mount a hair - if so, that was damn clever (clearance).
IMG_20210114_121817452~2.jpg

First time I've disassembled the GFB, here's some wear on the piston:
IMG_20210114_112849150.jpg

Comparing the stock hot pipe to the aftermarket you can see where the constriction is/was - I suppose the 'chamber' that bumps out after the blowoff is for noise control - the whole thing visually is lower restriction and less turbulence.
IMG_20210114_110631155_HDR~2.jpg
How many miles on your GFB? That looks like normal wear to be honest. Not bad.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
How many miles on your GFB? That looks like normal wear to be honest. Not bad.
At least 12,000 miles. I installed it eleven months ago.

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I hooked up my SCT BDX to see what affect the new pipes would have on measured boost. I swear before - and maybe with the tune- I was getting a peak around 22 lbs, although Torrie said he didn't change the stock limit (20 lb?) so I really hammered it a couple times on the highway. Peak measured amount recorded was 17.9.

I wonder what's keeping the pressure down? The pipes? GFB DV+ along with programming? Guess I'll have an answer after I upload a new baseline and Torrie updates my setup ?

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I'm trying to figure out what changed based on perception behind the wheel.

Without the tune, I feel like torque curve was a little flatter but still hit and held the peaks. Recording a new baseline I see I hit 21.7 lbs boost vs. the 22.x max previously although Torrie says he doesn't fool with the 20 lb factory max.

I would guess potential horsepower and torque maximums will be the same limits unless some more core hard power component i.e. turbocharger and injectors gets upgraded with a tune. I'm hoping I've achieved a further refinement over stock besides tweaking the ECM tune.

Someone on here has done some of these things and is getting over 400 horsepower on E85 I think. The dynographs from that make me think as a daily driver it might be unpleasant.

Not sure how interested I am in paying for a dyno run yet. I may just be happy with what I have.

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient

There is Steven's build @ZincGT getting crazy numbers. The primary performance gains appear to be the turbo/exhaust + tune for E85 which isn't on my list of things I'm considering but they installed the Mishimoto charge pipes. Didn't provide much in power gains but the mention is that the torque curve was affected. That jives with what I think/feel I'm experiencing in the day to day driving.

They show a plastic vane going in the cold side that I don't recall on mine, perhaps in my excitement to install the Mishimoto while evading the HOA's eyes and risking attention for violating the rules on working on vehicles in the driveway. I don't recall a reference in the instructions. @Mishimoto did I miss something?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

There is Steven's build @ZincGT getting crazy numbers. The primary performance gains appear to be the turbo/exhaust + tune for E85 which isn't on my list of things I'm considering but they installed the Mishimoto charge pipes. Didn't provide much in power gains but the mention is that the torque curve was affected. That jives with what I think/feel I'm experiencing in the day to day driving.

They show a plastic vane going in the cold side that I don't recall on mine, perhaps in my excitement to install the Mishimoto while evading the HOA's eyes and risking attention for violating the rules on working on vehicles in the driveway. I don't recall a reference in the instructions. @Mishimoto did I miss something?

Thanks for sharing that video!

Yep, so intercooler pipes just by themselves aren't known for adding power but are more for improving the intercooling system to be a better platform for more power, IE more volume and better construction to handle more boost. Sometimes we're able to get a few extra ponies out of the pipes, but it's tricky, especially with a speed density tuned vehicle.

So that plastic piece you see is on the factory cold-side pipe. Likely, it's an air straighter of some kind, and we see something similar on a lot of factory components, but it's not something that we found to be critical for our design.

-Nick

ZincGT

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger

Yep, so intercooler pipes just by themselves aren't known for adding power but are more for improving the intercooling system to be a better platform for more power, IE more volume and better construction to handle more boost. Sometimes we're able to get a few extra ponies out of the pipes, but it's tricky, especially with a speed density tuned vehicle.

So that plastic piece you see is on the factory cold-side pipe. Likely, it's an air straighter of some kind, and we see something similar on a lot of factory components, but it's not something that we found to be critical for our design.

-Nick
@Mishimoto Id love to do some testing on your intercooler....

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I didn't comment in this thread, but I have updated my Unleashed tune based on the new base file I uploaded. Torrie seems to have addressed some hard shifting I wasn't fond of especially shifting out of Park or Reverse/Neutral. It didn't go away like it did over time with the stock tune before.

I definitely have ample power which is a little deceptive with the more civilized shifts. There is an odd occasional reluctance for the truck to go all the way into 10th gear unless I switch to Sport mode and shift up there manually and switch back to regular Drive. It's not every time and might have happened when I was switching on the Tow mode to force the trans through the gears sequentially during re-learning. If I recall leaving tow mode on locks out 10th.

What I perceive and think the charge pipes have contributed is a change in how torque comes on and it feels very refined. Still chirping tires on demand ?

Although I've only gone through two thirds of a tank on the new tune with the charge pipe installation I found myself picking up stuff at Sam's Club so I filled up and hand calculated my mileage. I've clearly been testing the performance aspects since my MPG was about the worst I've ever gotten for quite some time... even with the Velossa Tech Big Mouth ?

Guess I need to be a little more mindful...

Last edited:

rwmuttmutt

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Ranger 4X4, 2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
USAF
I installed my Mishimoto pipe kit this week. Pretty easy install took just over an hour, but much of that was retrieving the 13mm socket that I lost in the engine bay. Have put about 150 miles on the truck with it. I have noticed a slight MPG increase as well as much less turbo lag. The truck just feels better and that it is requiring less out of the engine to cruse at highway speeds. Will be installing a GFB DV+ once it arrives.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I didn't comment in this thread, but I have updated my Unleashed tune based on the new base file I uploaded. Torrie seems to have addressed some hard shifting I wasn't fond of especially shifting out of Park or Reverse/Neutral. It didn't go away like it did over time with the stock tune before.

I definitely have ample power which is a little deceptive with the more civilized shifts. There is an odd occasional reluctance for the truck to go all the way into 10th gear unless I switch to Sport mode and shift up there manually and switch back to regular Drive. It's not every time and might have happened when I was switching on the Tow mode to force the trans through the gears sequentially during re-learning. If I recall leaving tow mode on locks out 10th.

What I perceive and think the charge pipes have contributed is a change in how torque comes on and it feels very refined. Still chirping tires on demand ?

Although I've only gone through two thirds of a tank on the new tune with the charge pipe installation I found myself picking up stuff at Sam's Club so I filled up and hand calculated my mileage. I've clearly been testing the performance aspects since my MPG was about the worst I've ever gotten for quite some time... even with the Velossa Tech Big Mouth ?

Guess I need to be a little more mindful...
Check your trans fluid level. I swear your transmission issues sound like low fluid levels which had been a known thing on the A10. Mine was 1/2 quart low...

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Speaking of running E... I am now getting ready to work with Torrie on an E50 tune. If I am going to mix, then 50/50 will be much easier if the fuel in the pumps test close to true E85. Right now (winter) they are probably close to E50 without mixing. I am going to test our local station this weekend before I load the base tune at the beginning of the week.

BTW, I am getting over 22lbs of boost with the Unleased tune. The same level as the 5 Star.

therealratfink

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Automotive Repair Shop Owner/tech

-Nick
Was pretty excited about these until I saw the $103 shipping charge to here in Hawaii.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.