Colorado Safety Ranger

Peas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
This is a story of sacrifice and altruism. A story of a dad who modified his truck, not for himself but for the safety and ride comfort experienced by his family. Do I enjoy drinking beer and wrenching on my truck with my buddies? Hell NO! I do it for my family.

IMG_4641.JPG

OG Truck... 2019 XLT FX4, 302A, Tow Package, Technology Package, 265/65/17 Tire "Updgade". Backstory: I had been waiting for the Ranger to come back out ever since I sold my 2005 XLT FX4 Ranger when we had our second kid. Ordered the truck and it was built in the summer of 2019 at the plant my father in law used to work at. From Michigan but now live in Colorado. Been driving FORDS my whole life. What up Doe!

First set of mods:

Carhardt Seat Covers
Weather Tech Floor Mats
ARE Overland Topper
Linex Bedliner

IMG_4701.JPG

These mods were intended to build out our adventure rig for basic use. My kids call it the ColoRanger (no offense to the actual @Colo_Ranger). But after some time it seemed like the truck just wasn't riding right on forest roads and mild off roading. When your kid pukes all over your new seat covers because of the rough bouncy ride, it's time to take action. My wife looks at me and says, "is the truck dolphin diving like a Cadillac? Is there something we can do to fix that? I want the truck to ride more.... planted". I took this feedback seriously and worked to upgrade the truck to make it more ... safe and to ride more planted (as directed). Thank goodness for this forum or I would have been lost for ideas....

Next set of mods:

Fox 2.0 Coilovers and 2.0 rear shocks
Diode Dynamics Amber Fog Replacement

tempImageAeTEZ3.png

Self installed the suspension upgrades with some friends and some beers and some unfortunate time away from the family (had to do it). I adjusted the preload on the coilovers to what I thought would be 2.5" of lift, turned out to be a bit more. Evenly leveled the truck and instantly improved the ride quality. The difference in ride quality was noticeable and much appreciated by the family. At some point, it was brought to my attention (I think by the three year old) that amber lights are safer in snow (which we get a lot of) than stock white fog lights so had to invest in more safety equipment and add the Diode Dynamics Amber Fogs. Very bright and cast a very wide pattern. Huge safety improvement.

Next set of Mods:

DeeZee Tailgate Damper
Ranger Tailgate Lettering
Front Air Dam Delete
Crash Bar plastic cover delete

tempImageHDw5cq.png

These are purely to add horsepower, torque and (wait for it....) safety.

Final set of mods... for now:

BDS Shackles
BFG KO2s 275/70/17
Faction Fab 1" spacers

tempImagerDeblL.png
tempImageNCP9z0.png

Rounding out the safety upgrade are the new tires which are larger (and naturally safer) which required 1" spacers (because rubbing on the spindle is a safety issue) and a small lift in the rear. That rear lift with the BDS shackles was needed to get more rear articulation in the suspension and to get the truck back to having some rake because we do tow our raft from time to time and a squatting truck is well... unsafe.

Very pleased with the truck for the past two years and these modifications are simply amazing. I can't believe how right my family was and I'm happy that I listened to their sage advise to upgrade the truck. Onto more adventures.... and maybe a Roush Tune, CAI, more lights, etc!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
This is a story of sacrifice and altruism. A story of a dad who modified his truck, not for himself but for the safety and ride comfort experienced by his family. Do I enjoy drinking beer and wrenching on my truck with my buddies? Hell NO! I do it for my family.

IMG_4641.JPG

OG Truck... 2019 XLT FX4, 302A, Tow Package, Technology Package, 265/65/17 Tire "Updgade". Backstory: I had been waiting for the Ranger to come back out ever since I sold my 2005 XLT FX4 Ranger when we had our second kid. Ordered the truck and it was built in the summer of 2019 at the plant my father in law used to work at. From Michigan but now live in Colorado. Been driving FORDS my whole life. What up Doe!

First set of mods:

Carhardt Seat Covers
Weather Tech Floor Mats
ARE Overland Topper
Linex Bedliner

IMG_4701.JPG

These mods were intended to build out our adventure rig for basic use. My kids call it the ColoRanger (no offense to the actual @Colo_Ranger). But after some time it seemed like the truck just wasn't riding right on forest roads and mild off roading. When you kid pukes all over your new seat covers because of the rough bouncy ride, it's time to take action. My wife looks at me and says, "is the truck dolphin diving like a Cadillac? Is there something we can do to fix that? I want the truck to ride more.... planted". I took this feedback seriously and worked to upgrade the truck to make it more ... safe and to ride more planted (as directed). Thank goodness for this forum or I would have been lost for ideas....

Next set of mods:

Fox 2.0 Coilovers and 2.0 rear shocks
Diode Dynamics Amber Fog Replacement

tempImageAeTEZ3.png

Self installed the suspension upgrades with some friends and some beers and some unfortunate time away from the family (had to do it). I adjusted the preload on the coilovers to what I thought would be 2.5" of lift, turned out to be a bit more. Evenly leveled the truck and instantly improved the ride quality. The difference in ride quality was noticeable and much appreciated by the family. At some point, it was brought to my attention (I think by the three year old) that amber lights are safer in snow (which we get a lot of) than stock white fog lights so had to invest in more safety equipment and add the Diode Dynamics Amber Fogs. Very bright and cast a very wide pattern. Huge safety improvement.

Next set of Mods:

DeeZee Tailgate Damper
Ranger Tailgate Lettering
Front Air Dam Delete
Crash Bar plastic cover delete

tempImageHDw5cq.png

These are purely to add horsepower, torque and (wait for it....) safety.

Final set of mods... for now:

BDS Shackles
BFG KO2s 275/70/17
Faction Fab 1" spacers

tempImagerDeblL.png
tempImageNCP9z0.png

Rounding out the safety upgrade are the new tires which are larger (and naturally safer) which required 1" spacers (because rubbing on the spindle is a safety issue) and a small lift in the rear. That rear lift with the BDS shackles was needed to get more rear articulation in the suspension and to get the truck back to having some rake because we do tow our raft from time to time and a squatting truck is well... unsafe.

Very pleased with the truck for the past two years and these modifications are simply amazing. I can't believe how right my family was and I'm happy that I listened to their sage advise to upgrade the truck. Onto more adventures.... and maybe a Roush Tune, CAI, more lights, etc!!
Nice looking truck and you have a great sense of humor.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Great lookin truck!!!! Two years already! How many miles so far? I have the Diode Dynamics SS3 Yellow WOW they are awesome.

Thanks,

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Looking good.

I'm pretty sure a shackle lift on the stock springs does nothing to increase articulation though.

If you want more articulation you gotta get a better spring in there.

I went with the global Ranger springs and couldn't be happier.

Also, did you have to remove the crash bars for your tire/spacer combo? Surely that wouldn't be done on a vehicle built for family safety?

OP
OP

Peas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Looking good.

I'm pretty sure a shackle lift on the stock springs does nothing to increase articulation though.

If you want more articulation you gotta get a better spring in there.

I went with the global Ranger springs and couldn't be happier.

Also, did you have to remove the crash bars for your tire/spacer combo? Surely that wouldn't be done on a vehicle built for family safety?
It may be a stretch to claim more articulation… certainly keep the bump stops farther away from the axel (clearly a safety and ride quality concern when you hit those on the trail).

No crash bar mods (that would be unsafe). Moved them to the extent of their range of motion. Close on the rear but no rubbing whatsoever.

I’ll keep on this crusade and hope to inspire others

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
It may be a stretch to claim more articulation… certainly keep the bump stops farther away from the axel (clearly a safety and ride quality concern when you hit those on the trail).

No crash bar mods (that would be unsafe). Moved them to the extent of their range of motion. Close on the rear but no rubbing whatsoever.

I’ll keep on this crusade and hope to inspire others
:LOL:
Definitely a safe thing to do.

Keep up the good fight!

OP
OP

Peas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Update:

Legit safely concern that I need help figuring out. After putting on new tires (32” BFG KO2s) the truck has developed a noticeable wobble at 65-70 mph. I had the tires rebalanced and still the issue persists. I can drive past it when I hit 80 mph.

Ideas? Thoughts?

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I can drive past it when I hit 80 mph.
Rear is lifted? So drive shaft is out of phase, creating wobble, then you can get past it.

Reactions: Doc

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Rear is lifted with BDS shackles.
If you lift the rear, then your driveshafts (there are two on the Rangers) will be at different angles than stock, preventing the transmission output and the rear axle from being parallel. This will create vibrations at specific speeds.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc