OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got around to stopping at a local body shop to get a quote on changing my magnetic gray front and rear bumper over to Oxford White and my black smooth OEM style fender flares over as well. The tri-color action I got going on has to go. I'm well under a thousand so so the price ain't too bad. I would bring in the pieces to save on labor.

My four choices have been;

Spray the fender flares magnetic gray and leave front and rear bumpers for the two-tone look.

Spray the front, rear, and fenders a satin black and again keep the two-tone look.

Spray the front, rear, and fenders OW to match rest of truck.

Spray the front and rear white, leave fenders black, once again, minor two tone look with rest of my gear.

The lower silver valence will be refinished in satin black with a satin clear coat by myself. My front OEM grill trim and logo have already been converted over to satin black with a satin clear.

The cheapest choice is number 1 and it somewhat matches my RTR charcoal wheels, but all my other add-ons are black, from the rack, to storage, to paneling, etc etc. Again, sort of leaving a tri-color thing going on.

I do however really like how the black factory fog light housings and a black factory lower valence stand out on OW rangers with OW front bumpers. The rear bumper top also pops when the rear bumper is OW. If I decide to install some flush mount reverse lights those will pop too being black.

Just looking for other opinions, good, bad, or ugly.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Finally got around to stopping at a local body shop to get a quote on changing my magnetic gray front and rear bumper over to Oxford White and my black smooth OEM style fender flares over as well. The tri-color action I got going on has to go. I'm well under a thousand so so the price ain't too bad. I would bring in the pieces to save on labor.

My four choices have been;

Spray the fender flares magnetic gray and leave front and rear bumpers for the two-tone look.

Spray the front, rear, and fenders a satin black and again keep the two-tone look.

Spray the front, rear, and fenders OW to match rest of truck.

Spray the front and rear white, leave fenders black, once again, minor two tone look with rest of my gear.

The lower silver valence will be refinished in satin black with a satin clear coat by myself. My front OEM grill trim and logo have already been converted over to satin black with a satin clear.

The cheapest choice is number 1 and it somewhat matches my RTR charcoal wheels, but all my other add-ons are black, from the rack, to storage, to paneling, etc etc. Again, sort of leaving a tri-color thing going on.

I do however really like how the black factory fog light housings and a black factory lower valence stand out on OW rangers with OW front bumpers. The rear bumper top also pops when the rear bumper is OW. If I decide to install some flush mount reverse lights those will pop too being black.

Just looking for other opinions, good, bad, or ugly.
I’m not going to be any help because I think your Ranger looks great just like it is. That’s a sharp truck! :turkey:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not going to be any help because I think your Ranger looks great just like it is. That’s a sharp truck! :turkey:
HI Tracy,

I found that I have several impairment. Hearing, (fixed somewhat with hearing aids), vision...(fixed somewhat by cataract surgery), Color matching...(not fixed), Sense of fashion (not fixed). I frequently hear (somewhat).... You cannot be wearing this for color match and fashion...Sigh!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I think a white truck with black bumpers an wheels is one of the nicest looking combos out there. Throw some dark glass on to complete the look. My truck is grey with the chrome package...if I ever damage a bumper I'll swap them both to black an get black wheels.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
HI Tracy,

I found that I have several impairment. Hearing, (fixed somewhat with hearing aids), vision...(fixed somewhat by cataract surgery), Color matching...(not fixed), Sense of fashion (not fixed). I frequently hear (somewhat).... You cannot be wearing this for color match and fashion...Sigh!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil, the good thing is...you’re a guy. Guys can get away with it! :sunglasses:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
HI Tracy,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
My fashion sense rating would be similar to a Hilary Clinton rally or an Amy Schumer comedy special.

I basically have lots of black pants and khaki pants so that I can walk past my wife and she won't say, "You're not wearing that are you?"

@OFC Ranger take pics of your truck and use GIMP to see how it would look with the changes you want.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
I vote black. I think it looks great with the white.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
I'd vote to just paint the flares magnetic. I think the contrast is nice.
But I might be a bit biased.
IMG_2932.JPG

1pt21gw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 IS XLT SC , '22 OW BBB 2Dr , '15 PB TC SWB
Occupation
Ye' Ole Traveler
my thoughts... and just mine.

It takes three colors to make it work, and four is too many as clusters it up. Now before you say something...

1. there is the primary color. in our cases it is the main color of the truck.
2. there is the secondary color, for some of us it is magnetic, others it is all the black trim, rubber, handle, bed caps, etc.
3. then there is the accent color. maybe trim, maybe chrome. most don't actually acknowledge this. (to some it is why those chrome lug nuts annoy you)

The secondary and accent colors can be switched depending on the balance and how much of there is one vs the other. To me, this is where you are at, a shift in your plan. I have been following your build, as you have done already a few things that I what to do, so I get to see it before the wallet opens up. RTR is where I am headed, but I struggle with the magnetic vs black for my rig.

The fenders are the magic spot and the bumpers compliment each other. imo as it takes the eye all the way around the truck. So if one of those changes it feels/looks funny. That is why magnetic compliments our colors. That Lightning blue looks great with the magnetic.

My rig is Iconic Silver and with RTR, black has become my secondary, trying to work carbon fiber as a blend. The magnetic will be my accent and I'am interested how the charcoal RTR wheels will affect it. I have a suspicion I might be in the same spot as you.

On the other hand, some just want two colors, but that is work to achieve and makes that second color hard to accent the primary color in the right balance. It can be done and some do it well, you know those rigs when you them. (and no the black out package is not that answer, but does help with why people like it and have a distaste for chrome)

In my opinion, do you like magnetic or black to be your secondary? Your rack system may affect your decision, but make the one you choose compliment your white and the other a very small accent as I believe it creates depth and changes size.

The eyes and the brain want to see balance, however that is. Everyone is different, that is beauty of it.

just my .02.
Jason

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
HI Tracy,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
You sure that isn’t my wife saying that? Is there an echo at my house? Wait a sec.. ?

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Thankfully a very talented member here helped me out when he got some free time. We shall refer to this member as his American Indian name, He-Who-Lights-Up-Like-UFO. I glad he was able to assist me cause it kind of took some options off the table. The all white is scrubbed from the list of choices. Also anything that leaves magnetic gray gonna have to go to drop the tri-color look.

Now I am just debating leaving the fender flares black and doing the bumpers white or doing the bumpers a satin black to match the fender flares. Again the lower silver valence will be painted black either route.

Sadly, he was right on the money, the body matched flares kind of shrink the appearance of of the wells. Color matched might work on other combos or wide body conversions, just don't see it working here;
JACK.jpg

This I like;
JACK2.jpg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
This I like;
JACK2.jpg
I too like the white bumpers... and the dark flares. I didn't think I would... go figure.

Every picture tells a story... donut. :like:
Sponsored