First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Event Planner
I have the 2020 Ranger XLT and when it's cold outside -14 or lower, if I don't warm up the motor before going it feels like I am in neutral.
Sponsored

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 2020 Ranger XLT and when it's cold outside -14 or lower, if I don't warm up the motor before going it feels like I am in neutral.
Hydraulic fluid (tranny ) needs to warm up enough to flow properly. Normal.

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
8098DF6A-C831-4400-B2FF-70FA9B0DA869.jpeg

Started truck and let it run for 10 minutes ( 1 remote start cycle) drive 30km to work without any issues at all. Took about 3km on highway before it went into 10 & lockup. Impressed with the heat and defrost, all windows stayed clear on highway.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human

Started truck and let it run for 10 minutes ( 1 remote start cycle) drive 30km to work without any issues at all. Took about 3km on highway before it went into 10 & lockup. Impressed with the heat and defrost, all windows stayed clear on highway.

This week looks nasty just about everywhere, take care folks!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi Folks,

Trivia....-40°C and -40°F are the same temp...this is the point where the two temp scales cross!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Trivia....-40°C and -40°F are the same temp...this is the point where the two temp scales cross!
As a teenager growing up in Calgary, we would wish for -40° because it was the point where it was deemed too cold for kids to go out and wait for the school bus. Instead of going to school, we likely played hockey outside or went skiing.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
Got us beat, we only got down to -24F (-31C) the past 2 mornings, at least according to my home weather station. Looks like areas around us have gotten down to -37F (-38C). Lake Superior does a pretty good job of keeping us warmer than more inland places, until it freezes over, then it's no help at all. haha But that doesn't happen too often, and certainly not even close this year.

Not going to get much warmer anytime soon either it looks like.

As far as OPs inquiry. I usually let it warm up for a couple minutes before taking off when it's this cold. And then am easy on it for a bit after that too. Haven't had any issues. Just gotta give it a break when it's this cold. Mechanical systems aren't immune to the cold.
Electrical systems could have issues also. When I worked for Motorola as a EE we used to test to -40C for the 2-way radio equip. we designed. Sometimes the equipment needed a few minutes to warm up before it operated to specs.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Hi Folks,

only and engineer would know that..
:clap:

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
$35 battery blanket is cheap insurance..[$45 now]
Although my '19 Ranger usually gets the heated garage I thought I'd be a bice guy and let my son and wife rotate vehicles in so we could thaw all the snow & ice off, check tire PSI and top off fluids.
My old truck the '09 ram my son drives was too big to put in the garage with out detailed maneuvers so I put a factory block heater and plug in battery blanket on after the 1st winter. Swear by it! Sure new vehicles should always start but with the extreme cold its one added margin of success it will start the 1st time every time. You just gotta think about it when its nice out because its so much easier to install when its warm vs cold, your cranky, got somewhere to be, etc.
it was nearly -10F ambient here in Elgin, IL about an hour west of the sewer known as Chicago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UNASS4/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1612813503047.png

Reactions: R_B

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
As a teenager growing up in Calgary, we would wish for -40° because it was the point where it was deemed too cold for kids to go out and wait for the school bus. Instead of going to school, we likely played hockey outside or went skiing.
Yrs ago I went to visit my sister when she was in Calgary. We decided to go skiing at Lake Louise.
It was -50c or something, it was so cold everyone was in the chalet with mitts & hats on & still cold!
The intercom came on saying they would not open till it was -35 or somewhere around that temp.
15 mins later "Good news skiers, it's -35 at the top, the lifts are open..." Not many were happy but we all went out. One of the most memorable ski days I had.

To OP, best to let your truck warm up a little.

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You are correct, no school busses running anywhere around here, rural schools are closed. There wasn't much traffic this morning - I wonder why?
Sponsored